• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with a firearm? Good info.

jfrenchudm

I have flown with my normal carry gun several times. A pelican case is a must! TSA locks are a big no-no. Most of the time, ammo in a magazine will not go over well, as they read the law to mean it has to be in a case. Checking a larger bag with your gun case inside of it is a good idea, as it hides it from potential thieves.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I've flown with firearms to both California and Florida a few times. It is really quite easy. I landed and departed during the California trips from LAX without any problems.
The only things I would add is to check the destination's gun laws before you leave at www.handgunlaw.us and to avoid NY and NJ like the plague.

Mosnar87

My understanding, from watching this presentation, is that if you use a gun case that is not lockable inside of luggage that is locked the TSA has to consider the outer Luggage the "gun case" and thus must only open it in your presence.

IINAL.

ETA: If it was me, I would use hard side Luggage like Pelican cases or the mortar cases the gentleman doing the presentation used, as the security of your firearm relies on the LOCKED luggage, not on the gun case.

Last edited:

Mosnar87

How do you suppose they would know your gun case had no lock without first opening the suitcase?

AFAIK, TSA is required to screen your luggage containing a declared firearm, immediately, in your presence and then tag it as screened, this usually involves an X-ray and then if something comes up that piques their interest they will ask you to open the case and they will inspect the contents. The luggage should not leave your presence untill it has a TSA inspection sticker and you have personally re-locked it.

Last edited:

autosurgeon

AFAIK, TSA is required to screen your luggage containing a declared firearm, immediately, in your presence and then tag it as screened, this usually involves an X-ray and then if something comes up that piques their interest they will ask you to open the case and they will inspect the contents. The luggage should not leave your presence untill it has a TSA inspection sticker and you have personally re-locked it.

This is generally correct. However most of the time they hand inspect these and do a bomb swab as well. The rest of what my brother said is correct!