Thread: Reason to Carry One in the Chamber

Reason to Carry One in the Chamber

Here is an interesting video that I found on another forum. It's of a jewelery store robbery. Apparently the clerk is killed after being unable to chamber a round. This highlights why carrying with a round in the chamber (when legally able to) is a good idea. Note that the video shows the guy get shot and might be considered graphic by some people.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712

Now I know that with training one should be able to chamber a round quickly, but when under stress it is possible to still make mistakes. And while everyone likes to think that with training it won't happen to them, until you're truely placed in that type of a situation you just don't know.

This video shows more than just a man being shot, it shows him losing his life and be carried limp out of the store. If you have a weak stomach, don't watch it. Sad that this had to happen, hopefully it's a little wakeup call to anyone carrying without one in the pipe.

My safety is my trigger finger...Hoofukinrah brahs!!!

Very graphic.

Careful with little ones around.

Because it was designed to do so. My safety is my trigger finger and I control it. The safety is like the government, they're to be limited and controlled by us.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Quote Originally Posted by usamarshal View Post
    My safety is my trigger finger...Hoofukinrah brahs!!!
    Last edited by Placementvs.Calibur; 03-30-2011 at 08:00 PM.

You bet if I ran a jewelry store I would have my gun right on my hip, and it would be loaded at all times.

Not to discredit the man for trying, but if it were me I would have emptied an entire magazine (accurately) while he was still fiddling with chambering a round.

Granted, it looks like he may have been shot right off the bat, so it might not have saved him. Then again, it looks like he got shot several times more, so it couldn't have hurt.

Read about it:

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...#ixzz0ZkUiJHXd

Seems like it wasn't a robbery; it was a hit. That explains why they didn't stick around.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-03-2011 at 12:56 AM.

I occasionally carry one of the 9mm with 15+ rounds of ammo in the mag but since I usually carry a gock 36 (6+1), I don't see any reason to give up a round, even if I don't ever plan to need the 7th round I still want it.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Another reason why a wheelgun is still a perfectly acceptable choice for personal protection. Don't need to chamber anything, no safety to fiddle with.

Trigger squeeze = Bang!

If you hit a dud round no need to tap/rack. A second trigger pull turns the cylinder for the next round.

Gotta love the six gun.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

I like all guns, and I've carried Glocks with 1 in the chamber for years. Please, I don't want to hear about Glocks discharging with one in the chamber due to human error. Remeber:
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by Placementvs.Calibur View Post
    Please, I don't want to hear about Glocks discharging with one in the chamber due to human error.
    You're the first one in the thread to bring this up, preemptively defensive much?

I OC a Xd 40 12 +1 with an extra 12 round mag real handy...

Been carrying with 1 in the chamber since day 1 ....

I like to call it.... "Fully Loaded".

If a BG is cocked and ready with 1 in the chamber, by the time I chambered a round he could have already gotten off a few shots.... that could make the fact that I OC a moot point...

Ain't gonna happen.

Outdoorsman1

Quote Originally Posted by Placementvs.Calibur View Post
    Please, I don't want to hear about Glocks discharging with one in the chamber due to human error.
    Did someone mention Lee Paige?

That's absolutely a hit. They hit once from a distance and several of them go in close to make sure it's done. Did they also take his gun from him?

Yes, the dumb DEA agent who shot himself in the leg in a classroom full of kids, Plexico Burress with his Glock in his sweat pants, etc. Also, there's an old wise tail which is brought up usually by the old-timers when Glocks are mentioned about a DCPD(fill in any metro PD) detective who was shot when a Glock discharged on his partners desk. I don't know if it's true or not, but it probably had something to do with the holster.

If this was a robbery, then why was the only thing they took, the owners gun? It was a freaking jewelry store...

This was a "hit". That's pretty obvious...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    If this was a robbery, then why was the only thing they took, the owners gun? It was a freaking jewelry store...

This was a "hit". That's pretty obvious...
    That's already been said. I simply reported it as I had originally found it. Also for all we could have known is that they could have taken some things from a spot off-camera after killing the shopkeeper.

It's pretty clear to me that this man was hit at least once before he even produced his own weapon. I don't know about you guys but i think I'd have difficulty with returning fire if I'd already been hit. That's without taking adrenaline into consideration.

In this guy's case, i think having one in the pipe is a moot point. It wouldn't have saved him. Granted he may have been able to take one or both or his attackers with him but in the panic of being shot he may have hit any number of the other people in the store as well.

I'm not arguing one way or the other. Just trying to analyze both sides of this.

FYI: I carry condition 1. I feel reducing the number of actions required to fire in a panic situation is key.
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

Quote Originally Posted by therealcombat View Post
    In this guy's case, i think having one in the pipe is a moot point. It wouldn't have saved him.
    I seem to recall reading that, with medical attention, the average major-caliber handgun bullet strike carries only something like a 30% risk of death.

Getting shot once does not mean you're out of the game. He was clearly able to be up and fussing with his gun. What if he had been sending hot lead back during that time instead?

What I will say is, if someone of equivalent means truly and sincerely wants to assassinate you, you might as well be dead. It's impossible to cover every avenue of attack. It's possible to kill anybody, really.

It's best to avoid getting oneself and one's family embroiled in such situations.

Move through the world with propriety, and the only significant risk you face is due to what is essentially random violence, against which armed self-defense is the effective prophylactic we advocate on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I seem to recall reading that, with medical attention, the average major-caliber handgun bullet strike carries only something like a 30% risk of death.

Getting shot once does not mean you're out of the game. He was clearly able to be up and fussing with his gun. What if he had been sending hot lead back during that time instead?

What I will say is, if someone of equivalent means truly and sincerely wants to assassinate you, you might as well be dead. It's impossible to cover every avenue of attack. It's possible to kill anybody, really.

It's best to avoid getting oneself and one's family embroiled in such situations.

Move through the world with propriety, and the only significant risk you face is due to what is essentially random violence, against which armed self-defense is the effective prophylactic we advocate on this forum.
    Good point and well said.

One thing i think we can all agree on, a level IIIA vest probably would have saved this guy. Probably not something you'd want to wear all the time, but if i owned a jewelry store, i might.
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

I wonder what would be said of a Jewelry Store Owner carrying an AK Pistol with one in the chamber?

Other than, he might be alive because this likely would not have happened.

You look like a soft target, you ARE a soft target.

And you die.
    Last edited by ixtow; 04-11-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.