• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reason to Carry One in the Chamber

Aknazer

Here is an interesting video that I found on another forum. It's of a jewelery store robbery. Apparently the clerk is killed after being unable to chamber a round. This highlights why carrying with a round in the chamber (when legally able to) is a good idea. Note that the video shows the guy get shot and might be considered graphic by some people.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712

Now I know that with training one should be able to chamber a round quickly, but when under stress it is possible to still make mistakes. And while everyone likes to think that with training it won't happen to them, until you're truely placed in that type of a situation you just don't know.

Staypuff578

This video shows more than just a man being shot, it shows him losing his life and be carried limp out of the store. If you have a weak stomach, don't watch it. Sad that this had to happen, hopefully it's a little wakeup call to anyone carrying without one in the pipe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
You bet if I ran a jewelry store I would have my gun right on my hip, and it would be loaded at all times.

Not to discredit the man for trying, but if it were me I would have emptied an entire magazine (accurately) while he was still fiddling with chambering a round.

Granted, it looks like he may have been shot right off the bat, so it might not have saved him. Then again, it looks like he got shot several times more, so it couldn't have hurt.

tcmech

I occasionally carry one of the 9mm with 15+ rounds of ammo in the mag but since I usually carry a gock 36 (6+1), I don't see any reason to give up a round, even if I don't ever plan to need the 7th round I still want it.

frommycolddeadhands

Another reason why a wheelgun is still a perfectly acceptable choice for personal protection. Don't need to chamber anything, no safety to fiddle with.

Trigger squeeze = Bang!

If you hit a dud round no need to tap/rack. A second trigger pull turns the cylinder for the next round.

Gotta love the six gun.

Outdoorsman1

I OC a Xd 40 12 +1 with an extra 12 round mag real handy...

Been carrying with 1 in the chamber since day 1 ....

I like to call it.... "Fully Loaded".

If a BG is cocked and ready with 1 in the chamber, by the time I chambered a round he could have already gotten off a few shots.... that could make the fact that I OC a moot point...

Ain't gonna happen.

Outdoorsman1

nigmalg

That's absolutely a hit. They hit once from a distance and several of them go in close to make sure it's done. Did they also take his gun from him?

Placementvs.Calibur

Yes, the dumb DEA agent who shot himself in the leg in a classroom full of kids, Plexico Burress with his Glock in his sweat pants, etc. Also, there's an old wise tail which is brought up usually by the old-timers when Glocks are mentioned about a DCPD(fill in any metro PD) detective who was shot when a Glock discharged on his partners desk. I don't know if it's true or not, but it probably had something to do with the holster.

Dreamer

If this was a robbery, then why was the only thing they took, the owners gun? It was a freaking jewelry store...

This was a "hit". That's pretty obvious...

Aknazer

If this was a robbery, then why was the only thing they took, the owners gun? It was a freaking jewelry store...

This was a "hit". That's pretty obvious...

That's already been said. I simply reported it as I had originally found it. Also for all we could have known is that they could have taken some things from a spot off-camera after killing the shopkeeper.

therealcombat

It's pretty clear to me that this man was hit at least once before he even produced his own weapon. I don't know about you guys but i think I'd have difficulty with returning fire if I'd already been hit. That's without taking adrenaline into consideration.

In this guy's case, i think having one in the pipe is a moot point. It wouldn't have saved him. Granted he may have been able to take one or both or his attackers with him but in the panic of being shot he may have hit any number of the other people in the store as well.

I'm not arguing one way or the other. Just trying to analyze both sides of this.

FYI: I carry condition 1. I feel reducing the number of actions required to fire in a panic situation is key.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
In this guy's case, i think having one in the pipe is a moot point. It wouldn't have saved him.

I seem to recall reading that, with medical attention, the average major-caliber handgun bullet strike carries only something like a 30% risk of death.

Getting shot once does not mean you're out of the game. He was clearly able to be up and fussing with his gun. What if he had been sending hot lead back during that time instead?

What I will say is, if someone of equivalent means truly and sincerely wants to assassinate you, you might as well be dead. It's impossible to cover every avenue of attack. It's possible to kill anybody, really.

It's best to avoid getting oneself and one's family embroiled in such situations.

Move through the world with propriety, and the only significant risk you face is due to what is essentially random violence, against which armed self-defense is the effective prophylactic we advocate on this forum.

therealcombat

I seem to recall reading that, with medical attention, the average major-caliber handgun bullet strike carries only something like a 30% risk of death.

Getting shot once does not mean you're out of the game. He was clearly able to be up and fussing with his gun. What if he had been sending hot lead back during that time instead?

What I will say is, if someone of equivalent means truly and sincerely wants to assassinate you, you might as well be dead. It's impossible to cover every avenue of attack. It's possible to kill anybody, really.

It's best to avoid getting oneself and one's family embroiled in such situations.

Move through the world with propriety, and the only significant risk you face is due to what is essentially random violence, against which armed self-defense is the effective prophylactic we advocate on this forum.

Good point and well said.

One thing i think we can all agree on, a level IIIA vest probably would have saved this guy. Probably not something you'd want to wear all the time, but if i owned a jewelry store, i might.