• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 3-29-11: CCW Parks & Restaurants Passes 2nd Reading w/Problems

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605, 919-664-8565, www.GRNC.org

GRNC Alert 3-29-11:
CCW Parks & Restaurants Passes 2nd Reading w/Problems

SPECIAL NOTE:
The NC House does NOT want to hear from you!

NC General Assembly is now blocking your emails from GRNC's auto-emailer as spam. That's right; your representatives feel that your emails are spam! Never fear, we have a work around - as you will see at the end of this alert -- and it is vital that you send the message that you will not be silenced. Now on to the main issue...

Sponsored by Reps. Mark Hilton, Jeff Barnhart, Fred Steen and Kelly Hastings, HB 111, "Handgun Permit Valid in Parks & Restaurants," would enable concealed handgun permit-holders to protect themselves in restaurants, and in both municipal and state parks.

Today, HB 111 passed 2nd Reading in the NC House, and will receive 3rd Reading tomorrow. The battle is far from over, however, because not only was a weakening amendment hung on the bill, more are planned tomorrow. Speaking eloquently in favor of the bill were Reps. Hilton, Barnhart, George Cleveland, Leo Daughtry, Glen Bradley, Jonathan Jordan, Bert Jones, Kelly Hastings, and Justin Burr.

Speaking against the bill (or in favor of weakening it) were Reps. Deborah Ross, David Guice (who said he supported the bill, but weakened it as below), Darren Jackson, Bill McGee, Bill Faison, Garland Pierce, and Earline Parmon.

THE GOOD NEWS

The Ross Amendment, which would have induced restaurant servers to ask patrons whether they were carrying firearms, was removed by an amendment made by Daughtry in a 72-46 vote, despite impassioned pleas by Ross to keep it.

THE BAD NEWS

Guice's amendment to allow municipalities to exempt any park which contains a playground, athletic field, swimming pool or other facility passed in a 70-48 vote, with a number of Republicans supporting the amendment. Speaking eloquently against it were pro-gun Reps. Cleveland, Jordan and Jones. GRNC will endeavor to remove this language as the bill moves to the Senate.

OTHER GOOD NEWS

A proposed amendment by Faison to exempt all state parks without camping facilities failed in a 44-74 vote.

MORE NOT-SO-GOOD NEWS: ACT NOW!

Although bills are not generally amended on 3rd Reading, several anti-gun amendments were mentioned for HB 111 in its 3rd Reading TOMORROW. You must act immediately to avoid having anti-gun Democrats and mediocre Republicans turn this bill into something worthless!

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED: NEW MESSAGE

* It seems that the NC House is tired of hearing from you and has begun to block GRNC's auto-emailer. So it is doubly important that they ALL hear from you. A list of emails you may copy and paste into your email program are listed at the end. We suggest sending the email to yourself and pasting these addresses into the bcc field.

* CALL YOUR OWN NC HOUSE REP: Do so even if you know he or she supports the bill, telling them to oppose any other weakening amendments proposed for the bill. Again, find out who represents you in the NC House by going to: http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

DELIVER THIS MESSAGE

Dear Representative:

With respect to HB 111: "Handgun Permit Valid in Parks & Restaurants": Today we heard North Carolina's 337,000 concealed handgun permit-holders - who've proven themselves sane, sober and law-abiding for 16 years - painted as dangerous hazards at Little League games. Beyond the legitimate point raise today that such has never happened, my question is this:

WHY DON'T OUR CHILDREN DESERVE PROTECTION IN PUBLIC PARKS?

Controlled, multi-variate studies have demonstrated that predators are drawn to what can only be described as "victim disarmament zones," yet the NC House continues to debate adding such zones, potentially even adding to those zones via amendments to Third Reading on the bill.

Children deserve protection too, and any further attempt to weaken HB 111 will be punished at the ballot box; of that, I can assure you.

I will continue to monitor your actions via Grass Roots North Carolina legislative alerts.

Respectfully,

CONTACT THESE PEOPLE

Alma.Adams@ncleg.net, Martha.Alexander@ncleg.net, Kelly.Alexander@ncleg.net, Marilyn.Avila@ncleg.net, Larry.Bell@ncleg.net, Hugh.Blackwell@ncleg.net, John.Blust@ncleg.net, Jamie.Boles@ncleg.net, Alice.Bordsen@ncleg.net, Marcus.Brandon@ncleg.net, Bill.Brawley@ncleg.net, William.Brisson@ncleg.net, Larry.Brown@ncleg.net, Rayne.Brown@ncleg.net, Harold.Brubaker@ncleg.net, Angela.Bryant@ncleg.net, Justin.Burr@ncleg.net, Becky.Carney@ncleg.net, Jeff.Collins@ncleg.net, Bill.Cook@ncleg.net, Tricia.Cotham@ncleg.net, Jim.Crawford@ncleg.net, Bill.Current@ncleg.net, Leo.Daughtry@ncleg.net, Jimmy.Dixon@ncleg.net, Jerry.Dockham@ncleg.net, Nelson.Dollar@ncleg.net, Beverly.Earle@ncleg.net, John.Faircloth@ncleg.net, Bill.Faison@ncleg.net, Jean.Farmer-Butterfield@ncleg.net, Susan.Fisher@ncleg.net, Elmer.Floyd@ncleg.net, Dale.Folwell@ncleg.net, Phillip.Frye@ncleg.net, Rosa.Gill@ncleg.net, Mitch.Gillespie@ncleg.net, Rick.Glazier@ncleg.net, Ken.Goodman@ncleg.net, Charles.Graham@ncleg.net, David.Guice@ncleg.net, Joe.Hackney@ncleg.net, Mike.Hager@ncleg.net, Phillip.Haire@ncleg.net, Larry.Hall@ncleg.net, Susi.Hamilton@ncleg.net, Pricey.Harrison@ncleg.net, Dewey.Hill@ncleg.net, Mark.Hollo@ncleg.net, Bryan.Holloway@ncleg.net, Craig.Horn@ncleg.net, Julia.Howard@ncleg.net, Pat.Hurley@ncleg.net, Frank.Iler@ncleg.net, Dan.Ingle@ncleg.net, Verla.Insko@ncleg.net, Darren.Jackson@ncleg.net, Maggie.Jeffus@ncleg.net, Linda.Johnson2@ncleg.net, Carolyn.Justice@ncleg.net, Patsy.Keever@ncleg.net, Ric.Killian@ncleg.net, James.Langdon@ncleg.net, Stephen.LaRoque@ncleg.net, David.Lewis@ncleg.net, Marvin.Lucas@ncleg.net, Paul.Luebke@ncleg.net, Grier.Martin@ncleg.net, Danny.McComas@ncleg.net, Darrell.McCormick@ncleg.net, Pat.McElraft@ncleg.net, William.McGee@ncleg.net, Chuck.McGrady@ncleg.net, Marian.McLawhorn@ncleg.net, Mickey.Michaux@ncleg.net, Grey.Mills@ncleg.net, Annie.Mobley@ncleg.net, Tim.Moffitt@ncleg.net, Tim.Moore@ncleg.net, Rodney.Moore@ncleg.net, Tom.Murry@ncleg.net, Bill.Owens@ncleg.net, Diane.Parfitt@ncleg.net, Earline.Parmon@ncleg.net, Garland.Pierce@ncleg.net, Gaston.Pridgen@ncleg.net, Shirley.Randleman@ncleg.net, Ray.Rapp@ncleg.net, Johnathan.Rhyne@ncleg.net, Deborah.Ross@ncleg.net, Efton.Sager@ncleg.net, Ruth.Samuelson@ncleg.net, Norman.Sanderson@ncleg.net, Mitchell.Setzer@ncleg.net, Phil.Shepard@ncleg.net, Tim.Spear@ncleg.net, Paul.Stam@ncleg.net, Edgar.Starnes@ncleg.net, Fred.Steen@ncleg.net, Sarah.Stevens@ncleg.net, Michael.Stone@ncleg.net, Thom.Tillis@ncleg.net, Joe.Tolson@ncleg.net, John.Torbett@ncleg.net, William.Wainwright@ncleg.net, Edith.Warren@ncleg.net, Harry.Warren@ncleg.net, Jennifer.Weiss@ncleg.net, Roger.West@ncleg.net, Winkie.Wilkins@ncleg.net, Larry.Womble@ncleg.net, Michael.Wray@ncleg.net

----------------------

You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/

-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Patrick J. Phelan, Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

Northerner

Is GRNC getting ready for the probably VETO from Perdue? Ensuring the votes will be there for a Veto Override 2/3 majority?

cmlewis184

3rd Reading

HB111 passed on the third reading without any additional weakening amendments being added.

...now onto harassing our reps in the Senate.

Last edited:

CarryHard

Why does it say 3rd reading passed?

Is the law in effect yet?

""Third Reading [H] - 177 74 42 1 3 0 116 PASSED""

Northerner

Why does it say 3rd reading passed?

Is the law in effect yet?

""Third Reading [H] - 177 74 42 1 3 0 116 PASSED""

Not law just yet. Now it goes through the same process in the senate. If it passes there, this year or next, it will than go to the the Gov for signing or veto. I have lost the bill in the senate calendar though. Haven't seen it in weeks.

Last edited:

CarryHard

Not law just yet. Now it goes through the same process in the senate. If it passes there, this year or next, it will than go to the the Gov for signing or veto. I have lost the bill in the senate calendar though. Haven't seen it in weeks.

Jeez......"If it passes there, this year or next"
talk about a dumb system

These bozos get paid my money to make these decisions for me.

Why does it take them so long??

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

This article came from House Speaker Thom Tillis ,

While all are ideas that Republicans have sought and seen stalled by Democratic majorities in the past, all but expanding where concealed handguns are allowed are unlikely to see action as lawmakers turn their attention to balancing the state budget, House Speaker Thom Tillis said this week.

The entire article can be read @ this link..

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/9409861/

buzzsaw

I clipped the enclosed quote from the comments in the article so I hope I'm not violating anyone's copywrite or intellectual property rights but...

"The recent House vote to open parks and more restaurants to the places where concealed handguns can go included a late change allowing local officials to continue placing childrens' playing fields and swimming pools off limits. This was necessary, supporters said, because adults have been known to lose their minds and all control in anger over the games their children play.

That change was important to the state's top police officers, said Patricia Norris, the president of the North Carolina Association of Chiefs of Police.

"I think that was the biggest issue, that municipalities have a say-so in how they could run business in their cities," said Norris, the police chief at Winston-Salem State University and previously Winston-Salem's police chief.

As long as that provision stays in the legislation, police chiefs will salute and enforce the law, she said."

I am enraged by the suggestion (unchallenged by the media) that it is the proper function of "police chiefs" or any other individual employed by the people to function within our govt. to "decide" which laws that are worthy of enforcement and which are not. Granted that the judiciary is empowered to have say over whether laws meet constitutional muster but an organization of "police chiefs" had better submit to its membership the concept that if they choose not to enforce laws as passed by the elected representatives of the people then they need to find other employment.

Last edited:

Adam H

If the bill passes with that amendment, any idea if cities and counties would be able to ban CC in any park that has a "recreational facility" or only in that particular part of the park? Several of the city parks have walking trails and the county parks do too along with fishing ponds. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to carry in the park as long as I avoid the "recreational areas." From reading the bill, it looks like they can only ban CC in "recreational facilities" but I'm not an expert when it comes to understanding laws.

Any idea why it won't take affect sooner that December if it passes?

papa bear

i have a feeling that some will put a sand box in so they can claim that the park is a playground. isn't all parks "Recreational facilities"?

That change was important to the state's top police officers, said Patricia Norris, the president of the North Carolina Association of Chiefs of Police. over zealot bureaucrats, is the very reason that the founders made the bill of rights to start with. basically, so the torys could not use their personal prejudices against the people

cricketdad

If the bill passes with that amendment, any idea if cities and counties would be able to ban CC in any park that has a "recreational facility" or only in that particular part of the park? Several of the city parks have walking trails and the county parks do too along with fishing ponds. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to carry in the park as long as I avoid the "recreational areas." From reading the bill, it looks like they can only ban CC in "recreational facilities" but I'm not an expert when it comes to understanding laws.

Any idea why it won't take affect sooner that December if it passes?

While this amendment was being debated that question was brought up. Supposedly the language used allows the ban only while a game is going on. Therefore not affecting walking rails, etc.

Smith45acp

We are at 860 bills in the House and 550 in the Senate. Takes time to fuss and argue over that many bills before cross over.

THAT'S one of our biggest problems in this Republic.

How can a layman POSSIBLY be expected to keep up with federal, state, and municipal knuckleheads all keeping busy making new laws? Not to mention the freaking tax code and its daily changes.

[/rant]

rotorhead

THAT'S one of our biggest problems in this Republic.

How can a layman POSSIBLY be expected to keep up with federal, state, and municipal knuckleheads all keeping busy making new laws? Not to mention the freaking tax code and its daily changes.

[/rant]

Never mind a layman, the ones who are supposedly introducing and passing these bills can't even keep up.

This reality was known for some time, but the truth of it really came to light under the Pelosi version of the US House during the healthcare debates. Finally a House Speaker publicly states that these idiots couldn't possibly know what's in these bills until they are passed lol.

It's also the reason why numerous smaller bills are tacked together and added (behind closed doors and away from the public eye) to larger ones as riders. It would be impossible to address every bill that's introduced, therefor they attach them to other bills. This is why we get a law raising hidden taxes on liquor passed under something like an off-shore fishing proposal or other such unrelated business, or funds approved for Antique museums under things like lottery legislation.

If we'd only take an hour of each week to see what's actually going on these criminals in Raleigh and Washington would be run out of town.