Thread: howdy

howdy

im going to houston at the end of next month and i was wondering what exactly are the laws in texas considering possesin of a handgun in my car

i thank you in advance for your help

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGFIELDMAN-21 View Post
    im going to houston at the end of next month and i was wondering what exactly are the laws in texas considering possesin of a handgun in my car.
    Anyone who is not a gang member, who is not a prohibited person, and who is not committing any violation of the law other than a Class C violation of the Traffic Code, may possess a handgun in or en route to any motor vehicle they own or control, so long as the handgun is concealed from ordinary observation.

Penal Code 46.02(a)(2):

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...E.46.htm#46.02

Also as long as the handgun is concealed it can be anywhere in your car (motorist protection act)

thanks to both of yall for the help

i meant to ask in my first post but is there any laws regarding high capacity mags?

Nope, no magazine or assault weapon laws. Also, while you're traveling (e.g., in between New Mexico and Houston, each way) you can carry on your person outside of your car in addition to inside it; technically, you can carry openly at that time as well, but you might not want the potential hassel on vacation.
    Last edited by denwego; 03-31-2011 at 12:21 AM.

i knew i could OC in new mexico but i thought the handgun couldnt be in plain site at anytime in texas. is that true?

The law states you can while traveling but "traveling" has never been defined by the courts and I'm don't think you want to be a test case on vacation.

Yea that could put a damper on my vacation for sure lol. So it would be adviseable to keep it concealed in my car? Is it a problem to have it loaded while its in my car?

Oh yeah loaded and anywhere in your car as long as it is concealed when I'm taking a long drive I'll usually have it in a holster in the cubbyhole on the drivers side door but you can have it anywhere you like locked loaded and ready.

Thank you crimson for clearing that up for me