• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

howdy

SPRINGFIELDMAN-21

im going to houston at the end of next month and i was wondering what exactly are the laws in texas considering possesin of a handgun in my car

i thank you in advance for your help

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

KBCraig

im going to houston at the end of next month and i was wondering what exactly are the laws in texas considering possesin of a handgun in my car.
Anyone who is not a gang member, who is not a prohibited person, and who is not committing any violation of the law other than a Class C violation of the Traffic Code, may possess a handgun in or en route to any motor vehicle they own or control, so long as the handgun is concealed from ordinary observation.

Penal Code 46.02(a)(2):

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.02

CrimsonSoul

Also as long as the handgun is concealed it can be anywhere in your car (motorist protection act)

denwego

Nope, no magazine or assault weapon laws. Also, while you're traveling (e.g., in between New Mexico and Houston, each way) you can carry on your person outside of your car in addition to inside it; technically, you can carry openly at that time as well, but you might not want the potential hassel on vacation.

Last edited:

CrimsonSoul

The law states you can while traveling but "traveling" has never been defined by the courts and I'm don't think you want to be a test case on vacation.

SPRINGFIELDMAN-21

Yea that could put a damper on my vacation for sure lol. So it would be adviseable to keep it concealed in my car? Is it a problem to have it loaded while its in my car?

CrimsonSoul

Oh yeah loaded and anywhere in your car as long as it is concealed when I'm taking a long drive I'll usually have it in a holster in the cubbyhole on the drivers side door but you can have it anywhere you like locked loaded and ready.