Thread: My new carry piece

My new carry piece

I feel just like a proud father...this is the culmination of about 5 1/2 months of wait..will feel even better when it gets to my FFL & I can pick it up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff H Scout ION XL -1xx.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	5582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff H Scout ION XL -4xx.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	5583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff H Scout ION XL -6xx.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	5584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff H Scout ION XL -8xx.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	5585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff H Scout ION XL -9xx.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	5586  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff H Scout ION XL -10xx.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	5587  

Nice! The adjustable sights, beavertail, and magwell are lifesavers, and it looks like you've already got the extended mag release (maybe?) and a lightweight hammer.

My only suggestions would be:

Polymer or aluminum frame trigger - although it looks like you've already got a frame trigger, not sure what material it's made of.
    Ambi safety
    Compensator bushing (takes my group size down from 9" to 5" at 25 yards)
    Aftermarket guide rod (makes it a LOT easier to field strip)
    Polish the feed ramp until it shines. Stock 1911s have a tendency to FTF with non-target ammo, and polishing helps.

Quote Originally Posted by antispam540 View Post
    Nice! The adjustable sights, beavertail, and magwell are lifesavers, and it looks like you've already got the extended mag release (maybe?) and a lightweight hammer.

My only suggestions would be:

Polymer or aluminum frame trigger - although it looks like you've already got a frame trigger, not sure what material it's made of.
    Ambi safety
    Compensator bushing (takes my group size down from 9" to 5" at 25 yards)
    Aftermarket guide rod (makes it a LOT easier to field strip)
    Polish the feed ramp until it shines. Stock 1911s have a tendency to FTF with non-target ammo, and polishing helps.
    The 1911 was designed for Ball ammunition. The projectile hits the feed ramp and bounces into the chamber. Polishing the feed ramp is not needed and can easily make your 1911 worthless. Tuning the 1911 for Hollow point ammo involves changing the angle of the feed ramp ( normally 31.5 on factory spec 1911), and a very SLIGHT opening of the chamber mouth. This can result in unsupported case head with resulting case head blowout. Instead of polishing the feed ramp, just follow the recommended breakin and shoot 2-300 rounds with good lubrication and frequent cleaning. Most new 1911, regardless of maker, are best run with an almost wet lube, not dripping but wet.
    The majority of FTF with ammo other than Ball can be correctoe wit the use of different type of Magazine (Clips are for womens hair, magazines are for guns) Check out this article http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/index.html
    Good luck with it, great choice.
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 03-30-2011 at 11:49 AM.

I found that Chip McCormick mags work excellent, at least when I had a Springer. Just gotta try different mags, they really do make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

I forgot to mention

it's chambered in 10mm....none of this whimpy .45 stuff for me

Sweet! So what did you do with the five seven?

Quote Originally Posted by DEROS72 View Post
    Sweet! So what did you do with the five seven?
    it's been gone for a while...and honestly, I really miss the sucker, but in a nut shell, here's the problem with the 5.7

...FN factory ammo is so watered down in an effort to distance itself from the "cop killer" reputation that was originally coined towards the weapon that there are far too many FTF's & FTE's with factory ammo.

the aftermarket ammo (I was preferential to Elite Ammo out of Harvard IL) is all made with pulled factory rounds & then "juiced up" with various different powders & such. Damn powerful rounds when loaded properly, but I was getting a bit tired of piercing primers & literally having the case necks separate from the case.

the only alternative would be to reload youir own ammo, but it's an entirely different cartridge to reload & the cases take some special care as well, and: I'm not about to get back into reloading again after selling off all my reloading stuff about 15 years ago.

if reliable vactory ammo ever becomes available, and I'm not holding my breath, I'll look into getting another..but until, the memories are still alive.

OK I was thinking its a nice 1911 UNTIL you said it was chambered in 10MM , now I really like it ! (Yes I'm one of those fanatic 10MM owners/shooter/reloaders) .