• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lets talk long barrel revolvers

x3atthis

My husband was recently given a 30year old .357 Magnum New Model Blackhawk, with a 6.5 inch barrel, making the total length approximately 12.5 inches...I lovingly refer to it as the Loch Ness Monster. Well I was at the range renting semi autos as I'm shopping for a new carry piece, and decided to bring the Monster with me to try out, and I am in LOVE. I swear I could have spun around in circles, closed my eyes, and still hit center mass on the target. Naturally, now I want to carry one, but there isn't much comfortable or practical about toting a 45 oz, foot long revolver on my hip. The same model also comes in a 4.5 inch barrel, and is about 10 inches long instead. Would this still be ludicrously long for open carry? Most guns look even larger on me, as I can only comfortably carry at the 2 o clock position, and I'm 130 lbs, 5'7"...even my little Bersa stands out on me. Secondly, will I lose too much of the accuracy that makes the 6.5 inch barrel so great by downsizing those 2 inches? If so, it's not worth it in the first place. I should add that I have a baby, so anything I carry has to take into consideration that I'll be carrying him as well, which is the primary reason I would only get a single action revolver...I know the trigger weight of most DAOs, and I still just don't trust them should he ever, God forbid, get his hands on one of our guns.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Concerns? Thanks!

x3atthis

the difference in barrel length will only effect muzzle flip and your follow up shots, but not your accuracy.

go to and read cornered cat, a gun web site written by and for women, with children.

I've been there before, and frankly I don't understand why its referenced so frequently, the only gender specific topic I really see her cover is concealed carry in women's clothes...unless I'm missing something?

REALteach4u

X3, sounds like you have a nice product on your hands there.

I picked up a Dan Wesson long/heavy barreled .44 Magnum with the ported barrel some time back and couldn't have been more happy with the pistol, ammo price was the issue, especially since I enjoyed shooting it so much.

The thing to remember on the "big guns" like the .357 and .44 mag revolvers is that they tend to be long and quite heavy. Even if you take 4 inches off that 6.5 inch barrel you've still got a steel-brick in your hands. Follow up shots are where you're going to find key issues and with a revolver using magnum rounds follow up shooting is a techniqe that needs practicing.

Last edited:

Pyro01

I'll give you my opinion since right now my main gun for open carry is a S&W 460 magnum, 6.5 inch barrel. This gun weighs 72 oz. unloaded. Right now I open carry it in a vertical shoulder holster, an Uncle Mike's to be exact. I load it with 45 colt so I don't have my gun recoiling 75 degrees when I fire off a 460 magnum round. Your 357 weighs a little more than half of what mine does, and so I think it could be comfortably carried on your hip with a proper fitting holster. A .357 mag is a wonderful manstopper according to this article. While I do not think carrying my revolver for self defense is the best gun out there, it is my only one I can use other than a 44 cal 1860 black powder revolver, which is about the size of your .357 but with an 8" barrel. If you think you can shoot it with confidence, then I say go for it! Nothing cooler that a gal with a nice shiny revolver. As for your child, it all comes down to the holster. Get yourself a holster that's made for a .357 magnum with that barrel length, and make sure it will completely cover the trigger guard. Having a thumb break retention strap would make sure it stays where it belongs until you need it. Here's something I found that might work for you, nice holster and it doesn't break the bank. It doesn't have a thumb break, but it does have a hammer thong which keeps the hammer in place until you move it out of the way on your draw with your thumb. There are many leather shops that could custom make you a holster for your revolver as well. Best of Luck!

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-65-9-1920-tom-threepersons-2-to-7-12-barrels.aspx

x3atthis

I picked up a Dan Wesson long/heavy barreled .44 Magnum with the ported barrel some time back and couldn't have been more happy with the pistol, ammo price was the issue, especially since I enjoyed shooting it so much.

The thing to remember on the "big guns" like the .357 and .44 mag revolvers is that they tend to be long and quite heavy. Even if you take 4 inches off that 6.5 inch barrel you've still got a steel-brick in your hands. Follow up shots are where you're going to find key issues and with a revolver using magnum rounds follow up shooting is a techniqe that needs practicing.

It is really nice, my husband is not going to be happy that I've commandeered it as my own, hehe. Now heavy it is, but not terribly terribly so. Around 45 ounces...so I'd say roughly a pound heavier than the average compact semi-auto. Which is a lot when you're talking about a gun, but not so much that its unmanageable.

I haven't actually had any issues with the follow up shots, and I've shot it while popping them off as fast as I could cock it. A lot of fun, really great gun. The rounds aren't even very different, costwise, than my .380s, thank God.
I'll give you my opinion since right now my main gun for open carry is a S&W 460 magnum, 6.5 inch barrel. This gun weighs 72 oz. unloaded. Right now I open carry it in a vertical shoulder holster, an Uncle Mike's to be exact. I load it with 45 colt so I don't have my gun recoiling 75 degrees when I fire off a 460 magnum round. Your 357 weighs a little more than half of what mine does, and so I think it could be comfortably carried on your hip with a proper fitting holster. A .357 mag is a wonderful manstopper according to this article. While I do not think carrying my revolver for self defense is the best gun out there, it is my only one I can use other than a 44 cal 1860 black powder revolver, which is about the size of your .357 but with an 8" barrel. If you think you can shoot it with confidence, then I say go for it! Nothing cooler that a gal with a nice shiny revolver. As for your child, it all comes down to the holster. Get yourself a holster that's made for a .357 magnum with that barrel length, and make sure it will completely cover the trigger guard. Having a thumb break retention strap would make sure it stays where it belongs until you need it. Here's something I found that might work for you, nice holster and it doesn't break the bank. It doesn't have a thumb break, but it does have a hammer thong which keeps the hammer in place until you move it out of the way on your draw with your thumb. There are many leather shops that could custom make you a holster for your revolver as well. Best of Luck!

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-65-9-1920-tom-threepersons-2-to-7-12-barrels.aspx

I actually ran by Gander Mountain today for a safe and took the .357 in with me to check out holsters. Ended up grabbing the cheapo nylon Blackhawk holster that they had on hand, it should get the job done on occasions that I do want to carry it.

http://pgu.me/qf2

^There it is in its holster...needs a good firm, shove to get it in deep, as it is on the top size of the barrel length range for this holster..doesn't impact its function all that much to not shove it down in, more of a retention/safety type of thing.

http://pgu.me/qfT

^how it looks if you don't shove it down in all the way.

In terms of comfort, not bad. I could use a new belt, but it was struggling with the weight of just the Bersa, never mind that I've lot a significant amount of weight the past few weeks and my belt is slightly too big. That little bit of give in the belt can play a world of difference on the carry and comfort.

http://pgu.me/qfx

^Carrying both at the same time, Blackhawk cross carried on my left, Bersa on my right.

William Fisher

I owned a Dan Wesson .44 magnum with the long barrel about twenty years ago. It is definitly the Make My Day model. It will most certainly Reach Out A nd Touch Someone. Fine weapon.

M

McX

my Mag. simply named the Mag. soon to be set up for hip, and shoulder carry.

Pyro01

Try carrying this revolver around, 72 oz. of cold stainless steel. I like the wide eyed looks I get from people, even others who own guns.

Attachments

• DSC02844.jpg
    DSC02844.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 546

DevinWKuska

My husband was recently given a 30year old .357 Magnum New Model Blackhawk, with a 6.5 inch barrel, making the total length approximately 12.5 inches...I lovingly refer to it as the Loch Ness Monster. Well I was at the range renting semi autos as I'm shopping for a new carry piece, and decided to bring the Monster with me to try out, and I am in LOVE. I swear I could have spun around in circles, closed my eyes, and still hit center mass on the target. Naturally, now I want to carry one, but there isn't much comfortable or practical about toting a 45 oz, foot long revolver on my hip. !

Look on the bright side! If you run out of bullets it would make for a fantastic club, or a walking cane should you be injured :p

x3atthis

Look on the bright side! If you run out of bullets it would make for a fantastic club, or a walking cane should you be injured :p

Touche. Who needs rounds when you can pistol whip them? You know, I actually ran into a guy at the range the other day with a Sig P220 and he said he's actually clocked someone with his gun before instead of shooting them since its heavy, so apparently its not ALL that unrealistic, hahahaah.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
the difference in barrel length will only effect muzzle flip and your follow up shots, but not your accuracy.

Mechanically speaking, a short barrel could be as accurate as a longer barrel, but for the shooter, the longer barrel will probably mean a longer sight radius which generally implies easier aiming.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran

And the muzzle velocity for any given round, which effects drop, but even at 50 yrds the difference between, say, a 4.5" barrel and a 6.5" barrel is only an inch or two, which is nothing. How often do gun encounters occur at 50 yrds?

rotorhead

My husband was recently given a 30year old .357 Magnum New Model Blackhawk, with a 6.5 inch barrel, making the total length approximately 12.5 inches...I lovingly refer to it as the Loch Ness Monster. Well I was at the range renting semi autos as I'm shopping for a new carry piece, and decided to bring the Monster with me to try out, and I am in LOVE. I swear I could have spun around in circles, closed my eyes, and still hit center mass on the target. Naturally, now I want to carry one, but there isn't much comfortable or practical about toting a 45 oz, foot long revolver on my hip. The same model also comes in a 4.5 inch barrel, and is about 10 inches long instead. Would this still be ludicrously long for open carry? Most guns look even larger on me, as I can only comfortably carry at the 2 o clock position, and I'm 130 lbs, 5'7"...even my little Bersa stands out on me. Secondly, will I lose too much of the accuracy that makes the 6.5 inch barrel so great by downsizing those 2 inches? If so, it's not worth it in the first place. I should add that I have a baby, so anything I carry has to take into consideration that I'll be carrying him as well, which is the primary reason I would only get a single action revolver...I know the trigger weight of most DAOs, and I still just don't trust them should he ever, God forbid, get his hands on one of our guns.

You need to be honest with all of these people and let them know that's really my gun. I'm the rightful owner, now gimme it!

Campo6245

Longer barrels are a bit heavier and also take longer to for you to draw your weapon in the unfortunate case of self-protection. I have been known to carry a Ruper Super Blackhawk 44 MAG with a 10.5 in barrel on my hip in the winter in the mall, and let me tell you I can feel it! If I have a sport jacket on I can carry my S&W 629 44 MAG with a 8 3/8 barrel VERY comfortable with a shoulder holster. I would say that the holster and the belt make the difference. They say quality makes it a Colt...well quality makes it comfortable. You might want to go with a shoulder holster to distribute the weight more. Just my 2 sense. Good luck with your decision.

x3atthis

Longer barrels are a bit heavier and also take longer to for you to draw your weapon in the unfortunate case of self-protection. I have been known to carry a Ruper Super Blackhawk 44 MAG with a 10.5 in barrel on my hip in the winter in the mall, and let me tell you I can feel it! If I have a sport jacket on I can carry my S&W 629 44 MAG with a 8 3/8 barrel VERY comfortable with a shoulder holster. I would say that the holster and the belt make the difference. They say quality makes it a Colt...well quality makes it comfortable. You might want to go with a shoulder holster to distribute the weight more. Just my 2 sense. Good luck with your decision.

I would feel like Rambo toting around this thing openly in a shoulder holster, LOL, but you're very right about the comfort level.

I actually shot a Ruger SR9c today, and think I may trade in my Bersa to get that as my carry piece....assuming I can't convince the husband to let me have both, LOL.

mark-in-texas

Once saw a Ruger Mark II pistol at a gun show that had an 18 in barrel on it!! I asked the guy what's the deal and he replied that he'd done it as a snub to ATF. There's a restriction on the MINIMUM length of a rifle barrel but no limit to the MAXIMUM of a pistol barrel. Made the point about how stupid laws can be sometimes.