• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you OC?

bob789000

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
Hi all, I'm new to this site. I actaully found this site a couple weeks back, joined as soon as I found it and really like reading your points of view. This site makes for some really good reading. I got my first gun when I was 12 years old and I've always had one either in my truck or in my pocket. I've always wanted to OC but don't want to bring any unnecessary trouble to myself. If LEO's are going to be looking for you and hounding you about it every chance they get then why OC? I for one can't afford to be in jail because some cop says that I'm terrorizing the public or whatever other charges they decide to tack onto me. Very interested in your thoughts/opinions on this?

Jerry1981

Hi all, I'm new to this site. I actaully found this site a couple weeks back, joined as soon as I found it and really like reading your points of view. This site makes for some really good reading. I got my first gun when I was 12 years old and I've always had one either in my truck or in my pocket. I've always wanted to OC but don't want to bring any unnecessary trouble to myself. If LEO's are going to be looking for you and hounding you about it every chance they get then why OC? I for one can't afford to be in jail because some cop says that I'm terrorizing the public or whatever other charges they decide to tack onto me. Very interested in your thoughts/opinions on this?

Welcome to the site. I too was interested in OC and 3 months ago when I bought my first gone I made the leap and stated to OC. I have only had 1 encounter with police so far so Im not sure how helpful I can be because it was while being pulled over and my 1911 was on the seat and then they put it in the trunk afterwards and because I was new I just let them but now I probably wouldnt have and asked to put it back where they retrieved it. And I carry everywhere I go gas stations , grocery stores ETC here in Charlotte where most people would think it would be tough but no one bothers me as far as people go but the Police I have yet to run in while on my hip.

sultan62

No offense, but you can find out all of this information through forum search. The motivation to OC is not state-specific, so you don't need input from solely NC OCers. In fact, here on OCDO, there is an entire subforum dedicated to the motivation behind OC.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?83-Why-Open-Carry

If you have more specific questions, you'd be much more likely to get answers.

bob789000

Thanks Sultan62! I see that I could have just did a search and read up on why to carry. I know why I want to carry, but I was looking for for what made you want to start carrying. Did you just wake up one morning and say I want to carry a gun or did something happen to make you more aware? Guess that should have been my question. Then again maybe I should have done a search for that too. Thanks.

sultan62

Personally, I've always enjoyed guns. I didn't know if I wanted to get a CHP, but I knew I wanted to carry. Then I discovered OC and started OCing immediately. I've now gotten my CHP (I'm still not sure if that was the right decision) but OC more than 90% of the time.

bob789000

Thats what I want to start doing. I just don't like the idea of being hassled about it. I usually only go to places that I can carry in anyway, so my thinking is why not OC? I actually stopped carrying for about 6 months then one night I was out with my children eating and someone followed me home. I didn't lead them to my house but they did follow me for along stretch then I decided that I was going to lead them onto base and they turned around just before I went onto base. From that time on I haven't left my house without my weapon. I downloaded the flyer and passed it out at work. No one knew that they could OC until I handed them the flyer and I'm sure their visiting this site now.

sultan62

I haven't had any significant problems while OCing, and I wouldn't imagine you would either, though I haven't done any OC in Fayetteville.

chiefjason

I've OC'd around a couple LEO's without any serious issues. That does not set a precedent for the state, just sayin. Other's have had some very bad experiences. It really boils down the the LEO, and how the situation goes down.

Why? Well it started right after the last Presidential election for me. Started to OC, got my CCP, do both now. I was aware of OC, but not that you could do it most places. I grew up thinking it was for the woods not walmart. Silly me, the way NC law is it's easier to OC in Walmart than the woods. Go figure.

Bearfoot

You just never know http://www.reflector.com/news/armed-robberies-walmart-investigated-383509

I don't know, but I would bet money that the man wouldn't have messed with an OCer. There was also a stabbing at Sheetz in Greenville a little after midnight today. You just never know...

Is that the Sheetz across from Krispee Kreme just down from the stadium? OC'd in KK many times. Walked in to KK one day. A rather noisy group of not so savory looking guys noticed I was OCing, got rather quiet and quickly gathered their stuff and made haste to exit the premises. Even the girlfriend made mention of their quick exit. What's up with that? Not sure, but I did enjoy the peacefulness. Hot and ready fresh off the line donuts weren't bad either.:cool:

elixin77

Is that the Sheetz across from Krispee Kreme just down from the stadium? OC'd in KK many times. Walked in to KK one day. A rather noisy group of not so savory looking guys noticed I was OCing, got rather quiet and quickly gathered their stuff and made haste to exit the premises. Even the girlfriend made mention of their quick exit. What's up with that? Not sure, but I did enjoy the peacefulness. Hot and ready fresh off the line donuts weren't bad either.:cool:

Yeah thats the one. I got that email early this morning from the School, saying that some sh!t happened at Sheetz.

As for the robberies, that is why I carry whenever I go to wally world. Walmart itself is fairly safe, and I don't really worry about anything in there. The parking lot, however, is where it's dangerous.

rotorhead

Despite stories I see here and there, it's been my observation that in general, LEOs don't hound people at every chance when they are OCing. Sure, there are some that stretch the envelope and will harass people at will, but those incidents are fairly rare when taken as a whole in NC.

Personally I've never had a bad run-in with an LEO for openly carrying. I hope the streak continues but I'm also aware that the incident is always a possibility.

Like anything else, OC isn't for everyone. Well, technically it is (within the legal guidelines) but you know what I mean. Some people would rather just carry concealed. IF you're not used to it, there's certainly a few reservations about it. My suggestion would be to test the waters a little in a proven OC-friendly environment, such as a Walmart or a Food Lion. Those two are great places to put the tip of your toe into the water, in terms of corporate backing for OC. It's not that they advertise carrying openly, but they have stated numerous times that they follow state law and use that as their carry policy when the subject comes up.

For the most part, you won't have much trouble carrying there from employees.

Badger Johnson

I do not OC but I support it for others.

Here's the thing...

If, by OC you deter one criminal from committing the planned crime, then it's worth some minor hassling, no? IMO, if you OC, you may actually deter quite a few, and not even know it.

So, know the laws, consult with a legal professional, and carry in a retention holster and be calm, assured and just treat it as a tool, would be my take.

(I don't OC primarily, because I walk with a cane, and SWMBO buys me guns when I do what she tells me, lol, and she frequently says 'keep that thing in your pants, mister'. uh, I think she means my gun...)

WTFOVER

I don't OC that often (mostly when I'm just to lazy to put my IWB holster on) and 99% of my friend's don't OC either unless they are just to lazy to either put their holsters on or to lazy to tuck in their shirts.

My views differ then some on OC and I will even talk about it when I'm teaching classes but none the less the old saying goes; "to each their own"

sultan62

I don't OC that often (mostly when I'm just to lazy to put my IWB holster on) and 99% of my friend's don't OC either unless they are just to lazy to either put their holsters on or to lazy to tuck in their shirts.

My views differ then some on OC and I will even talk about it when I'm teaching classes but none the less the old saying goes; "to each their own"

I agree with your opinion here, except that I typically OC.

I really don't care how others carry, so long as they don't try to stop me from my form of carry.