Thread: Open carry if you're a visitor?

Open carry if you're a visitor?

I live in Michigan, and I'll soon have my CPL which lets me carry concealed/open in almost every state except California, and a few more.

My question is, if I drive to California to visit friends, can I just unload my weapon and OC? I looked online at California's laws but I could not find anything that said if you had to be a resident of California to open carry or not.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks

~Mike
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Quote Originally Posted by Mixalis View Post
    I live in Michigan, and I'll soon have my CPL which lets me carry concealed/open in almost every state except California, and a few more.

My question is, if I drive to California to visit friends, can I just unload my weapon and OC? I looked online at California's laws but I could not find anything that said if you had to be a resident of California to open carry or not.

~Mike
    IANAL!

Sure, why not. Laws apply to people that follow them :P

From what I gather, as long as you lawfully own the firearm and will check out with an officers e-check, you may open carry it.

I don't know why anyone would know you are from out of state anyway. You don't plan on showing anyone your id, right? As far as id be concerned, you're just another citizen excercising his/her rights. Plain and simple.
    My Grandfather once said, "Don't don't start any fights but always get the first punch, don't take out your guns unless you plan on using them, and always be a hard working man." And I'll live those words till the day I die.

Quote Originally Posted by realityfatality View Post
    IANAL!
    That is a shocking and disturbing admission.

~Mike
    Mike,

Whether you are a resident or not is irrelevant, officers here will be glad to detain you for openly carrying a firearm, where ever you are from. Bear in mind, that school zones create a minefield of localities where you would have to stow your handguns in a locked case.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Thank you, I doubt I would be going around any school zones or anywhere else that I would not be able to carry, I'm just not a fan of being so far from home, and not having my gun on me.

E-checks are fine, I actually watch Officers struggle with taking weapons out of holsters for E-checks in California all the time on Youtube, it's quite entertaining.
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    That is a shocking and disturbing admission.

Mike,

Whether you are a resident or not is irrelevant, officers here will be glad to detain you for openly carrying a firearm, where ever you are from. Bear in mind, that school zones create a minefield of localities where you would have to stow your handguns in a locked case.
    Yeah I just wanted to smoke out the prarie fairies. Looks like it worked as expected.

Also abreviation for I am not a lawyer.
    My Grandfather once said, "Don't don't start any fights but always get the first punch, don't take out your guns unless you plan on using them, and always be a hard working man." And I'll live those words till the day I die.

Thank you, I doubt I would be going around any school zones or anywhere else that I would not be able to carry, I'm just not a fan of being so far from home, and not having my gun on me.

E-checks are fine, I actually watch Officers struggle with taking weapons out of holsters for E-checks in California all the time on Youtube, it's quite entertaining.
    If there is any doubt left then DON'T CARRY. That would sure ruin your vacation if you get arrested for a GFSZ violation. Honestly there are schools EVERYWHERE in S.D.
    especially in urban areas. As i type this i'm in city heights (not UOCing) and i know just from going to lunch and what not that there are 4 schools in as many blocks down here.
    You need to do all your research before you ever holster up. A better option for you would probably be to LUCC. Then you can have your firearm with you and not worry about GFSZ.
    Just my $.02
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

The nice thing about Kalifornia is it makes no difference whether you are a resident or not. Your constitutional rights will still be trampled equally. Or governor moonbeam will transport you back home from his starship.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    The nice thing about Kalifornia is it makes no difference whether you are a resident or not. Your constitutional rights will still be trampled equally. Or governor moonbeam will transport you back home from his starship.
    You forgot the caveat of "unless you are here illegally"
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Lose View Post
    In which case you are likely immune from any and all prosecution...

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Lose View Post
    Good point. Protected class.