• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry if you're a visitor?

MikeTheGreek

I live in Michigan, and I'll soon have my CPL which lets me carry concealed/open in almost every state except California, and a few more.

My question is, if I drive to California to visit friends, can I just unload my weapon and OC? I looked online at California's laws but I could not find anything that said if you had to be a resident of California to open carry or not.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks

~Mike

realityfatality

I live in Michigan, and I'll soon have my CPL which lets me carry concealed/open in almost every state except California, and a few more.

My question is, if I drive to California to visit friends, can I just unload my weapon and OC? I looked online at California's laws but I could not find anything that said if you had to be a resident of California to open carry or not.

~Mike
IANAL!

Sure, why not. Laws apply to people that follow them :p

From what I gather, as long as you lawfully own the firearm and will check out with an officers e-check, you may open carry it.

I don't know why anyone would know you are from out of state anyway. You don't plan on showing anyone your id, right? As far as id be concerned, you're just another citizen excercising his/her rights. Plain and simple.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

That is a shocking and disturbing admission.

~Mike

Mike,

Whether you are a resident or not is irrelevant, officers here will be glad to detain you for openly carrying a firearm, where ever you are from. Bear in mind, that school zones create a minefield of localities where you would have to stow your handguns in a locked case.

MikeTheGreek

Thank you, I doubt I would be going around any school zones or anywhere else that I would not be able to carry, I'm just not a fan of being so far from home, and not having my gun on me.

E-checks are fine, I actually watch Officers struggle with taking weapons out of holsters for E-checks in California all the time on Youtube, it's quite entertaining.

realityfatality

That is a shocking and disturbing admission.

Mike,

Whether you are a resident or not is irrelevant, officers here will be glad to detain you for openly carrying a firearm, where ever you are from. Bear in mind, that school zones create a minefield of localities where you would have to stow your handguns in a locked case.

Yeah I just wanted to smoke out the prarie fairies. Looks like it worked as expected.

Also abreviation for I am not a lawyer.

Born2Lose

Thank you, I doubt I would be going around any school zones or anywhere else that I would not be able to carry, I'm just not a fan of being so far from home, and not having my gun on me.

E-checks are fine, I actually watch Officers struggle with taking weapons out of holsters for E-checks in California all the time on Youtube, it's quite entertaining.
If there is any doubt left then DON'T CARRY. That would sure ruin your vacation if you get arrested for a GFSZ violation. Honestly there are schools EVERYWHERE in S.D.
especially in urban areas. As i type this i'm in city heights (not UOCing) and i know just from going to lunch and what not that there are 4 schools in as many blocks down here.
You need to do all your research before you ever holster up. A better option for you would probably be to LUCC. Then you can have your firearm with you and not worry about GFSZ.
Just my $.02

Gunslinger

The nice thing about Kalifornia is it makes no difference whether you are a resident or not. Your constitutional rights will still be trampled equally. Or governor moonbeam will transport you back home from his starship.