• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michael Mitchell v University of Kentucky

Comm

I'll be taking a vacation day and going to this as well. As a U.K. employee, I am VERY interested in how this case will come out.

Comm

I would like to attend this myself, can someone please inform me of where I need to go?

Will you be coming from Ashland Glockster?

State Capitol
700 Capital Avenue
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
(502) 564-5444

Directions:
I-64 to Exit 53B - Frankfort/Lawrenceburg

Merge onto US-127 South toward Frankfort

Follow US-127 for approximately 2 miles.

Turn right onto Louisville Road/US-60.

Stay in left lane and turn left onto Lafayette Drive when lane becomes turn only.

Straight at the bottom of the hill, you will be at the back of the capitol building.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Thanks gutshot, I will see you all there..One more thing, I checked the website and not certain on this, does this begin at 11 a.m.?

Last edited:

UnfetteredMight

Although obviously I haven't read every case that's went before the KSC, the ones I have, they have not disappointed with their rulings. Good sound logic. I suspect this will be no different.

garyh9900

Although obviously I haven't read every case that's went before the KSC, the ones I have, they have not disappointed with their rulings. Good sound logic. I suspect this will be no different.
IIRC the Ky Supreme Court reverses approximately 80% of the cases it hears. So there was either something in the decision they didn't like, or there is a question on the laws the want to answer.

Last edited:

garyh9900

I'd like to believe this, but would like to see some evidence. I went to the KSC website and looked through a few past cases and could not confirm your assertion. It seemed most decisions were affirmed. Granted, I only went back about 8 months and that's not enough on which to make any conclusions, but would like to know how/where you got this information and what its based on.
I know that my family has an appeal that has been taken up by the KSC. Our attorney stated it was a positive(but not absolute) sign that they granted discretionary review as statistically they have reversed about 80% of cases they have reviewed. I just accepted that as a likely fact coming from an Attorney(granted they may not always be wise).

garyh9900

I'd like to believe this, but would like to see some evidence. I went to the KSC website and looked through a few past cases and could not confirm your assertion. It seemed most decisions were affirmed. Granted, I only went back about 8 months and that's not enough on which to make any conclusions, but would like to know how/where you got this information and what its based on.
Here you go, a brief search for some related info:

http://news.lawreader.com/?p=3349

In 2010 The Supreme Court of Kentucky reversed 43 of 58 civil cases or 74.137%. It reversed 22 out of 33 criminal cases or 66.667%.

09jisaac

Justice Scott may be the most pro-gun Justice on the Supreme Court. He is reported to have a CCDW and carry under his robe while on the bench. If Mitchell doesn't get Justice Scott's vote, he may not get any. I wonder at the timing of this news article. It seems like a warning to Justice Scott. Oral arguements in the Mitchell case are in less than 3 weeks. Why does a Lex. TV station comment on a Supreme Court election this far in advance? UK is in Lex., isn't it?

That it is. You thinking this might not be good for our boy?

garyh9900

Justice Scott may be the most pro-gun Justice on the Supreme Court. He is reported to have a CCDW and carry under his robe while on the bench. If Mitchell doesn't get Justice Scott's vote, he may not get any. I wonder at the timing of this news article. It seems like a warning to Justice Scott. Oral arguements in the Mitchell case are in less than 3 weeks. Why does a Lex. TV station comment on a Supreme Court election this far in advance? UK is in Lex., isn't it?
Sometimes a news article is just a news article. I doubt that Justice Scott is overly concerned about The Lexington Herald anyhow, his district encompasses just about everything from Hazard to Morehead and Ashland to Pikeville. I'm sure that vast majority of his constituency supports the right to bear arms. I think your weakest support for the 2nd Amendment comes from areas like Lexington and Louisville, but even then I think a majority supports gun rights. I think this has a great chance to be reversed for a few reasons:

1. The Supreme Court took it as a direct appeal(which is fairly uncommon, most of its appeals come after an appellate court took a swing at it.)
2. The odds are with reversal in the first place. #1 and #2 tell me the Justices saw something in the decision they didn't like.
3. The parking lot law was written after the law stating Colleges could regulate the campus, generally it is assumed that the newest law takes precedent if a conflict exist, as the general assembly was aware of the old law when the new one was passed.

No the problem I see with this appeal is the fact that Michael Mitchell is was both an employee and student(the parking lot law doesn't shield students from action), but can UK fire an employee because they didn't something wrong as a student? If they had just expelled him from the University but retained him as an employee I don't think Mitchell would have had a legal leg to stand on.

Now remember, practically speaking, if this decision does come back bad it probably won't have an effect on most of us(unless your a college or university employee). But any 2nd Amendment victory or defeat should be rejoiced or feared by all.