• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got caught for speeding with my gun by my side...

ET.

Well, it finally happened. I was headed to NC. up Hwy 441 and was talking on my phone to get directions on where I was to go. I was in a 45mph zone with the 55mph sign visible. I guess I subconsciously sped up when I saw the sign because when my radar detector went off the first thing I did was look at the speedometer. I was going over 60 and the 55 sign was still in front of me. The officer stared me down as he passed me in the other direction. I went up a few hundred yards & turned on a side road just off the highway. Then I thought maybe I shouldn't have done that because if he was coming for me he might think I was running, so I stopped and waited.

Sure enough the crusier turns onto the street with his lights flashing and his siren going "whoop, whoop". There I sit looking like I ducked onto a side road with my radar detector going crazy after speeding somewhere north of 15mph over the limit. Let's face it, I was screwed. The LEO got out of his car & immediately put his hand on his gun and cautiously started walking towards my vehicle. The back windows of my car are tinted and block a fair amount of the view inside the car.

Now I have always said that I will never just hand over my GWL, since it isn't required to declare if you are packing in GA. But I was in a situation where I needed to do something quick, so I took out my DL & GWL and held them out the window showing both hands. As soon as he saw my hands sticking out the window he relaxed and walked right up to me. I told him I had a GWL & a gun beside me in the car. He asked if I was going to shoot him with it & I laughed & told him of course not, I'm one of the good guys. He told me to just leave it where it was & we would be ok.

He went back to his car for about 10 minutes then he came back up to my window and said "Look, I clocked you at 18 miles an hour over the limit. I kind of jokingly said "Yes I was speeding up so I'd be going the proper speed at the 55 sign & over shot it a little bit. He laughted and said "You are supposed to slow down to the proper speed before a sign. You aren't allowed to speed up before it goes up. He ended up writing me up for "To Fast For Conditions" & said that wouldn't put any points on my license or make my insurance go up. I thanked him. Then he asked me about my gun & we talked a few minutes about guns and gun laws. He told me to slow down & left.

In this case I truly believe that if I had not offered up my GWL & told him about my gun that I would be telling you guys about the speeding ticket I just got & how my insurance was going up... He really had no other reason to go light on me at that point, especially since I had a radar detector on my dash. They hate those things. I got caught several years ago & the officer wrote a big RD & circled it right in the middle of the ticket. I went to court to try to get the points off my license & the judge looked at my file and asked the officer what he thought. The first thing out if his mouth was "well your honor, he did have a radar detector" The judge was in no mood to show mercy after that. Oh well...

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

Kind of off topic, but I'm still not sold on the "put your hands out the window" deal. I've had officers tell me it looks like you're trying to dispose of evidence and they'd rather see a light turn on (at night, of course) and both hands on the wheel.

I also don't get anything out of my pockets or dash until asked for it. I don't want them to think I'm hiding something or reaching for a weapon. Along those lines, I always wait to make sure they notice the gun between the seats and ask them if they want me to get my registration out of the glove box before I reach across.

stuckinchico

Kind of off topic, but I'm still not sold on the "put your hands out the window" deal. I've had officers tell me it looks like you're trying to dispose of evidence and they'd rather see a light turn on (at night, of course) and both hands on the wheel.

I also don't get anything out of my pockets or dash until asked for it. I don't want them to think I'm hiding something or reaching for a weapon. Along those lines, I always wait to make sure they notice the gun between the seats and ask them if they want me to get my registration out of the glove box before I reach across.

"Id rather see?" huh Id rather see more money in my bank but that aint going to happen.