Thread: Moving back to Hampton Roads

Wink Moving back to Hampton Roads

So I've been deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for the last year and am finally getting ready to come back to the Hampton Roads area. I was wondering if there are any major changes to the open carry laws in VA?

On my to-do list

1) look up the state law that supercides any city laws regarding open carry again, print it, and put it back in my wallet
    2) apply for a new concealed carry permit. My WA State one expired while I have been in Cuba
    3) attend my first OC dinner!

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the condition of the roads while on my motorcycle out there! lol!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome back - look forward to seeing you at dinners.

Virginia's preemption law:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+15.2-915

A list of places not to carry on bottom half of this page:
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html

Biggest change that likely happened since you been gone is that CC is now legal in restaurants that serve alcohol if you do not drink. OC continues to be legal w/o that limitation.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The other big change is you can place your loaded gun in a secured container (glove box, center console, briefcase, etc) while you are in your car. You used to have to have a CHP to do that before July last year.

Welcome back to VA! Watch for dinners in the Virginia thread.

Welcome Back, Custom. I've been trying to find a way to bring my older kids down to Gitmo to go diving, but can't find a sponsor. The Coasties I know can't do it because their CO is really anally retentive. I;ve been there a few times and its one of the best-kept secrets for snorkeling & diving in the whole Caribbean. I just gotta find a way to get back down there again. They don't like retiree tourists to visit, I guess. Maybe if they tossed all the prisoners in the ocean, they may loosen up a little.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Welcome Back, Custom. I've been trying to find a way to bring my older kids down to Gitmo to go diving, but can't find a sponsor. The Coasties I know can't do it because their CO is really anally retentive. I;ve been there a few times and its one of the best-kept secrets for snorkeling & diving in the whole Caribbean. I just gotta find a way to get back down there again. They don't like retiree tourists to visit, I guess. Maybe if they tossed all the prisoners in the ocean, they may loosen up a little.
    That would pollute the beaches and ruin the diving.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thanks for the info guys! Made that easy!

Gonna be annoying to not have my CCW for awhile..but that's fine..I OC most of the time anyways.