• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving back to Hampton Roads

Custom Volusia

So I've been deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for the last year and am finally getting ready to come back to the Hampton Roads area. I was wondering if there are any major changes to the open carry laws in VA?

On my to-do list

1) look up the state law that supercides any city laws regarding open carry again, print it, and put it back in my wallet
2) apply for a new concealed carry permit. My WA State one expired while I have been in Cuba
3) attend my first OC dinner! :)

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the condition of the roads while on my motorcycle out there! lol!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

45acpForMe

The other big change is you can place your loaded gun in a secured container (glove box, center console, briefcase, etc) while you are in your car. You used to have to have a CHP to do that before July last year.

Welcome back to VA! Watch for dinners in the Virginia thread.

MSC 45ACP

Welcome Back, Custom. I've been trying to find a way to bring my older kids down to Gitmo to go diving, but can't find a sponsor. The Coasties I know can't do it because their CO is really anally retentive. I;ve been there a few times and its one of the best-kept secrets for snorkeling & diving in the whole Caribbean. I just gotta find a way to get back down there again. They don't like retiree tourists to visit, I guess. Maybe if they tossed all the prisoners in the ocean, they may loosen up a little.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome Back, Custom. I've been trying to find a way to bring my older kids down to Gitmo to go diving, but can't find a sponsor. The Coasties I know can't do it because their CO is really anally retentive. I;ve been there a few times and its one of the best-kept secrets for snorkeling & diving in the whole Caribbean. I just gotta find a way to get back down there again. They don't like retiree tourists to visit, I guess. Maybe if they tossed all the prisoners in the ocean, they may loosen up a little.

That would pollute the beaches and ruin the diving. :uhoh:

Custom Volusia

Thanks for the info guys! Made that easy! :)

Gonna be annoying to not have my CCW for awhile..but that's fine..I OC most of the time anyways. :)