• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAFETY WARNING! Check the wear on your holsters!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Try checking your facts before you post! This was a Galco holster, not some offbrand. The holster retails for right at $70, so it isn't a cheap holster..

Sarcasm and infighting benefit no one.

If the holster wasn't junk, it would reside in that drawer in my bench now.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Psst - right behind you.
spacer.gif

AH-HA! I'm being e-stalked! Where's the mods!?! :D

Loneviking

If the holster wasn't junk, it would reside in that drawer in my bench now.

--Moderator Note--
Corrected quote
above that was erroneously attributed to user Squeek.

Well,well. Seems you're a paragon of knowledge and experience. Amazing how easy that is to do on
Monday morning.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Loneviking

Well,well. Seems you're a paragon of knowledge and experience. Amazing how easy that is to do on
Monday morning.
--Moderator Note--
Corrected quote
above that was erroneously attributed .

And you point outside of an unnecessary sarcastic flame is what?

Loneviking

And you point outside of an unnecessary sarcastic flame is what?
--Moderator Note--
Corrected quote
above that was erroneously attributed.

That I'm heartily sick of young armchair commandos who always have all the answers; have the perfect gear; the weapon that never malfunctions and never make a mistake.

Instead of flaming tthe guy with the ad/nd, its too bad you can't say to yourself 'gee, could it happen to me? This wasn't a cheap holster, maybe Id better check mine and rethink my holstering routine'

Carry a gun long enough and stuff will happen to you too.

.45acp

Looking at the additional photos in the link attached to the OP, AD006 shows that the leather is crimped in the area that surrounds the trigger.

Since this holster is designed to be worn between the belt and body it developed a crush (or fold as described in the article) at the point where the trigger guard enters the holster due to insufficient stiffening at the open edge. Looking at the photo AD 004 you can see that the crush point slipped inside of the trigger guard and engaged the trigger when the owner holstered the gun while wearing the holster.

A couple of problems here as I see it (IMHO).

1, The holster was not stiff enough to maintain shape, whereby preventing this type of ND.

2, The gun was not completely holstered (ie seated fully into the holster in the first place) or it would have gone bang when the owner inserted the pistol.

3, I believe that the holster had been worn excessively without the pistol in it. This developed the crush and fold in the first place. Leather holsters rely on the firearm to maintain rigidity and shape, without the firearm inserted they are subject to crushing and deformation, more so if they are not stiffened. In fact most holsters come with a warning to not wear them without a pistol for specially this reason.

4, The belt used by the owner was the wrong width (Photo AD 007). Belts that don’t fill the belt loops only contribute to the stretching and loss of shape, not to mention that they slip around on the draw or active movement.

5, The owner is carrying a full sized gun in half a holster that is not constructed for EDC

6, Last but not least the holster is worn out, far past the point it should be carried.

Galco is not a cheap holster, but in my opinion they are not suitable for everyday usage long term. They are not built with suitable stiffeners at the mouth of the holster to maintain shape and hold the holster without crushing it closed when the pistol is drawn. The JAK Slide in particular is not an everyday holster but more suited to casual occasional CC. I have several slide type holsters, but rarely carry them.

This was owner failure..pure and simple, the guy was not paying attention to his gear. You have to wonder how long it had been in this condition.

I don’t need to run over and check my holsters, I check em everyday.

Last edited:

Loneviking

Very good points Steve. Holsters should be made of 10 oz. Cowhide and the best ones have the steel reinforced mouth. This is especialy critical with a Glock where all of the safeties are in the trigger. Remember, there is no such thing as Underwriters Laboratory testing of holsters, so its caveat emptor.

Chap

I learn something new everyday on this forum.

Thanks for the heads up and courage from the OP and his safety alert. I'm sure he knew he would take some in coming fire after his post. Not as much as he did during the ND tho.

Glad your safe as well as those around you. I hope your sharing this embarrassing moment might save others from making the same or similar mistake.

Sent from Chap's iPhone

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I learn something new everyday on this forum.

Thanks for the heads up and courage from the OP and his safety alert. I'm sure he knew he would take some in coming fire after his post. Not as much as he did during the ND tho.

Glad your safe as well as those around you. I hope your sharing this embarrassing moment might save others from making the same or similar mistake.

Sent from Chap's iPhone

zack991, the OP, is not the gentleman that had the AD/ND. He was just the messenger passing the incident on here. Bringing it to the attention of others was his purpose.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Well,well. Seems you're a paragon of knowledge and experience. Amazing how easy that is to do on Monday morning.

And you(r) point outside of an unnecessary sarcastic flame is what?

That I'm heartily sick of young armchair commandos who always have all the answers; have the perfect gear; the weapon that never malfunctions and never make a mistake.

No one on this thread is deserving of being referred to as an "armchair commando".

Neither do we claim to have "all of the answers;" nor do we have have guns incapable of failure. Assuredly no claim to being perfect is avowed. We do make observations and give opinions based upon experience. To plagiarize and paraphrase a statement of John's, that is part of the reason that OCDO is so effective.

My original point that "Sarcasm and infighting benefit no one", while a soft sell, should be taken seriously as the manner of your complaint(?) could be taken as a rule violation.

Think it would be best to leave it at that.

Dreamer

Don't put a Glock in your holster!

Yeah, you gotta love those "Safe Action" Triggers...

A manual safety would have prevented this, but then again, so would routine PMCS...

Another reason NOT to CC--when nobody else can see your holster, you might be less likely to look at it yourself...

(NOTE: I regularly carry a Glock 36, but rarely in a leather IWB holster, and even when I do, I check the holster for fit and wear. It's usually open-carried in a Serpa CQC..)

j4l

"This was owner failure..pure and simple, the guy was not paying attention to his gear."

Bingo-Operator Headspace and Timing x1000... apart from gear condition, it doesnt seem as thought he paid any attention when holstering it in the 1st place...Natural Selection wins again..

since9

Campaign Veteran
All-leather holsters are made stiff for a reason. Should come with "DO NOT OIL OR APPLY CONDITIONER" embossed into the leather itself.

Good OP. I just checked mine. It's nylon, but has a hard plastic insert which keeps the mount open. My largest concern is the trigger catching on the thumb break.