Thread: CC @ Movie Theaters/Costco

CC @ Movie Theaters/Costco

I know most movie theaters and, of course, Costco prohibit all types of carry (OC/CC), with/without permit except for law enforcement. Admittedly, I know lots of people that CC anyway.

What are your thoughts with regard to the legality/repercussions from at least CCing in a place like that? Would they just call the police and have you charged with trespassing?

Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    I know most movie theaters and, of course, Costco prohibit all types of carry (OC/CC), with/without permit except for law enforcement. Admittedly, I know lots of people that CC anyway.

What are your thoughts with regard to the legality/repercussions from at least CCing in a place like that? Would they just call the police and have you charged with trespassing?
    The only way they can charge you is if you refuse to leave when requested.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    The only Theatres I have concealed at is the ones in the mall. I have had no problems OCing at all others.

I cc at Costco, the one time I OC'd there nobody said anything to me.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Maybe GA is different

I regularly OC and did it today in Costco. No one said anything or ran screaming. I've OCed at three separate locations.

I've been asked to leave Costco for OC, I just don't shop there any more. Safeway has had no problem with me OCing. Malls and such generally prohibit it, but that's just their rules, not laws. I just CC. No laws being broken, but if they ask me to leave, I'll do so. They can only charge you with trespassing if you refuse to leave when asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Costco has clearly stated their no weapons policy. But how can they enforce it if they don't know you're concealing?

If anyone disagrees with their policy that badly, Sam's Club doesn't have the no weapon's policies that Costco has. It is just another option.

I used to have a membership at Sam's and always open-carried there. Now I go to Costco and CC there.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Costco has clearly stated their no weapons policy. But how can they enforce it if they don't know you're concealing?

If anyone disagrees with their policy that badly, Sam's Club doesn't have the no weapon's policies that Costco has. It is just another option.

I used to have a membership at Sam's and always open-carried there. Now I go to Costco and CC there.
    There has been disagreements whether it is clearly stated or not.

I wish my uptight county council will let us put a Sam's in, they won't even let Costco and Walmart expand, claiming environmental reasons.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

I carry whenever I go to Costco. My "cover" is a light vest that often reveals my pistol when I reach for anything or bend over to pick something up. Clerks, supervisors, and floor people at Costco have seen my pistol over the years and have yet to say a word.

Likewise everywhere I go. Have had only ONE comment in the last 5 years. It was a Safeway Clerk that saw it and said "I wish more would carry like you do". "We've had numerous people chased in here by the Cops and it's getting scary".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Never had any issues with Costco OCing, Either in Tacoma or Southhill locations. I dont know about SAMs club though. I try to avoid them as they are owned by walmart(whom I hate and boycott).

As to Movie theaters, I didnt know they didnt allow it? I have OCed in the Southhill mall(not theater though) without a hitch. I went to I believe the Regal 8 Cinema (like 134ish and meridian Puyallup) and OCed with no issues. However I normally where dark blues and blacks so maybe my success is due to not buying flashy guns, and acting normal IDK.
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I carry whenever I go to Costco. My "cover" is a light vest that often reveals my pistol when I reach for anything or bend over to pick something up. Clerks, supervisors, and floor people at Costco have seen my pistol over the years and have yet to say a word.

Likewise everywhere I go. Have had only ONE comment in the last 5 years. It was a Safeway Clerk that saw it and said "I wish more would carry like you do". "We've had numerous people chased in here by the Cops and it's getting scary".
    I am the same way when I conceal it is "casual Concealment".

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Costco has clearly stated their no weapons policy.
    Could you link me to documentation from Costco that shows their no weapons policy? I've searched quite a bit with no luck.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

I found it but the customer service part of the site is down now. There is a comment section where you can type a question and before sending the message, takes you to a list of possible solutions. When I did this the top of the list had a link to their firearms policy. Now I can't get back to it. I'll try again later.
    Last edited by SpyderTattoo; 03-31-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

Seems pretty cut & dried to me. Nothing ambiguous there. Being a private club, Costco of course has the right to restrict membership as it sees fit, but at long as they advocate a policy like that they won't be getting a dime of my money, whether or not I'm able to "get away with it" in their stores as some have. Think I'll make the schlep to Shoreline next weekend and give some money to Sam's instead. (Walmart FTW)
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

lol

First of all I goto Costco 2x a month... never had an issue. I wonder if the Costco employees know about this rule?

My next annual due is coming up... maybe I can complain and get my membership fee for whole last year refunded... hmmm
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

We're not arguing that a few here might have OC'd in Costco without incident. That happens most of the time. The question was if there is a company policy or not. Clearly there is.
    Certified Glock Armorer

That's not in any of the membership documents or published rules that I could find. Certainly, I've seen the emails and such before, but from the time you sign up, or any of the "rules" I can find, I could not find such a policy.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    That's not in any of the membership documents or published rules that I could find. Certainly, I've seen the emails and such before, but from the time you sign up, or any of the "rules" I can find, I could not find such a policy.
    Convenient, isn't it? Nothing on the forms to make you say "whoa wait a minute!" before you give them your money. This "there it is, there it isn't" quality of their policy has been mentioned before.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Convenient, isn't it? Nothing on the forms to make you say "whoa wait a minute!" before you give them your money. This "there it is, there it isn't" quality of their policy has been mentioned before.
    Which brings it back to being ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinWKuska View Post
    lol

First of all I goto Costco 2x a month... never had an issue. I wonder if the Costco employees know about this rule?

My next annual due is coming up... maybe I can complain and get my membership fee for whole last year refunded... hmmm
    I wouldn't say a thing and continue to OC. That way if it ever does come up, the employees at your Costco can contribute that hey we have a real faithful customer who OC's and there never was a problem.