• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Approached in T-Bell

Buniak383

I was out with some work buddies today, helping one move. We decided to stop in Taco Bell for dinner. After ordering my food I sat down. A few minutes later I was approached by a lady who asked about openly carrying a handgun. She had moved over from Texas.

I filled her in on the laws about open carry, and also directed her to Opencarry.org since this place has helped me out tons, I'm sure it would help her too. It was a very good experience, and I'm glad that I had the chance to be an advocate of open carry. This was my first real experience of being approached by someone concerning my firearm.

Hopefully they all go that well :D and hopefully she was able to find the site and all the information I might have missed out on.

SPRINGFIELDMAN-21

Many people that have lived in NM all there life dont know that you can OC here. Atleast up here in farmington that seems to be the case. I dont know about other parts of the state. It seems that when i OC here everyone looks at me like im outa my mind. Ive actually had the cops called on me for OCing in the mall here.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Buniak383

That is unfortunate. I have yet to receive any Flak from citizens, or get the cops called on me for open carrying. The worst I've gotten so far is a few wide-eyed old ladies staring daggers at me at fast food joints. :lol:

MDA_II

Many people that have lived in NM all there life dont know that you can OC here. Atleast up here in farmington that seems to be the case. I dont know about other parts of the state. It seems that when i OC here everyone looks at me like im outa my mind. Ive actually had the cops called on me for OCing in the mall here.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

I open carry a fair amount around Farmington, never had any problem with it, and quite a few times I've gotten into conversations with the municipal LEO's and County LEO's about differences between what I carry and what they carry. I do regularly train with the FMN LEO's and make it fairly well known that open carry is legal under certain circumstances here.

Gotta watch Animas Valley Mall. The mall property holder doesn't allow firearms on the premesis....however, it isn't posted with a NM Compliant "No Firearms Allowed" sign. Simply a line on the Animas Valley Mall "Rules" sign that you find at the mall entrance that says "No weapons allowed". No signs on the anchor stores, no legal sign on the doors at the mall only entrance.

I usually conceal it in the mall since I like to take the grey man approach and sit back and watch the bangers when I do end up there.

Last edited:

SPRINGFIELDMAN-21

yea all the officer asked me to do was go put it in my car. he was very respectful about it. i havnt had any problems with LEO at all just citezens. most just ask what it is which start us talking about what they carry and what they have at home. that being say the state troopers usually give me funny looks.

would any of yall like to get together for a open carry lunch or something if your interested just let me know and we can work out the details.

Buniak383

I don't see a problem with getting together for lunch. I can talk to my other two buddies who Open carry and see if they'll be interested in going.

The hardest part is finding out where to meet.