• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you think the way you look while carrying makes people think?

MikeTheGreek

My title was a little hard to explain, I was just thinking if maybe more OC'ers get approached or looked more than others, because of how they look?

I'm going to start OCing soon and I'm almost 21 years old, 6'1, who always wears wifebeaters in the winter, mohawk and lots of tattoos.

By no means am I a thug, gangbanger, or felon, and I've actually been asked that before at stores. One person even told me because of my half sleeve and my haircut that I scared him and he wasn't comfortable. I don't think I look that scary..but yeah.

I've noticed that people often stare at me pretty much wherever I go anyway, so I can't imagine how it's going to play out when I start carrying a PT92 on my hip?

eye95

Whether you think it is right or wrong, whether you like it or not, people do make judgments based upon appearance. Some take the attitude, "Who cares? I have a right!" Others think, "Hmmm...I can use this reality to my advantage." I think the latter are wiser.

Daylen

If you dress and act like an upstanding citizen most people will not notice the gun. If you make people think you are a criminal and then they notice you are armed, expect trouble for you are looking like trouble.

MikeTheGreek

True, I don't want to have to dress all nice for people to not think I'm a criminal though. I could honestly care less I guess, I've worn jeans & wifebeaters (decent nice ones, not 5$ detroit thug ones) lol. I was just wondering if anybody has had the same problems

jeeper1

I have noticed over the years of watching the news on TV that criminals, with the exception of politicians, tend to look like freaks, slobs and scum.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Whether you think it is right or wrong, whether you like it or not, people do make judgments based upon appearance. Some take the attitude, "Who cares? I have a right!" Others think, "Hmmm...I can use this reality to my advantage." I think the latter are wiser.

This is a fact of life, it is a normal human trait, and it is a good thing. The reason it;s good is because profiling is a basic defensive activity and had probably saved countless people over the centuries from all manner of evil doers. There is nothing wrong with it regardless of what some people might like to think or say. Let's face it. If someone feels threatened or has a gut reaction to something he sees, is this bad? Nope it certainly isn't. No one needs to know why he avoided an encounter by crossing a street or staying in a store a little longer or getting into his car a little quicker. It's human and it's normal.

dcmdon

I don't open carry, but rather practice what I call "casual carry". In other words I wear an OWB holster even with my hip, under a jacket or just a T shirt.

Often a couple of inches of muzzle hangs below the hem of my coat or shirt.

For me, its not about making a political statement, but rather its the only comfortable way for me to carry the larger guns I like to carry.
Prior to the open carry movement gaining traction in Connecticut, I used to worry about printing and therefore carried smaller, less capable guns.

With that said, I've had people notice the gun, but never had anyone approach me.

I think that is due in large part to the fact that I'm a clean cut looking 43 year old.
Often, I'm out in public with one or both of my little girls.

Its hard to appear threatening when you're carrying an 18 month old and singing "The wheels on the bus go round and round".

I like that because when I'm with my kids is when I am most heavily armed. (I like to carry either a 1911 or Glock 34. Those are the guns I compete with and are therefore the ones I'm most competent with.)

Don

Last edited: