• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Carry Legislative Alert - SB 234 Stalled in Committee

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
FLORIDA CARRY, INC. LEGISLATIVE ALERT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – March 31, 2011

SB 234 – Open Carry/Vehicle Storage/Long Gun Statute Repeal Bill Stalled in Senate Judiciary Committee

Members and friends,

SB 234’s companion bill has expeditiously completed its journey through committee and is waiting to be heard on the House floor. For some undisclosed reason, SB 234 has been stalled in the Senate Judiciary Committee since March 16. Normally, the chairperson of the committee is responsible for scheduling bills to be considered. Senator Anitere Flores (R-Miami/Dade) is the chairperson for this committee. Her staff maintains that the committee staff has not scheduled the bill, and the committee staff states it is the chairperson’s responsibility. The bill’s sponsor, Senator Evers, has sent multiple formal requests to get the bill scheduled. The next committee meeting is April 4, and SB 234 is still not on the agenda for this meeting.

It is critical that this bill get scheduled and heard, as it still has to pass both this committee and the Senate Rules Committee prior to the end of committee meetings for the session.

Florida Carry is urgently requesting your immediate action to get this bill on the agenda. We need everyone to fire off an e-mail to both Senator Flores and Senate President Mike Haridopolos. We are calling for a “mailbox meltdown”. Early on, Senator Bogdanoff waffled on this bill, and it was your enormous response that got her back on board. We need you to do this again, this time in trump.

Feel free to use the e-mail helper below, and thank you again for your solid support. We’re almost there, and we just need a final push to get this bill to the Governor’s desk for his promised signature.
E-mail Helper (feel free to cut, copy, paste, and edit to suit)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO:
flores.anitere.web@flsenate.gov; haridopolos.mike.web@flsenate.gov

SUBJECT:
Get SB 234 moving again!

Dear Senators Haridopolos and Flores

Senate Bill 234 has been sitting at the Judiciary Committee since March 16. Its companion bill in the house has already completed committee hearings and awaits a vote on the house floor. It is imperative that SB 234 get scheduled for both the Judiciary and Rules Committees immediately, in order to make the April 26 cutoff date.

Senator Evers has made multiple requests for scheduling the bill, and has been ignored to date. Florida Carry, and other rights organizations, have worked too long and too hard to get this bill to this point, just to have it die in committee within sight of the finish line. Governor Scott has already indicated his intent to sign the bill. Concealed carry licensees have patiently waited for this bill for over 23 years. Florida is one of only seven states that do not permit some form of general open carry. The objections raised by law enforcement and retail associations make no mention that the practice of open carry is successful in 43 states, nor do they acknowledge their dire predictions are the same “blood in the streets” arguments of almost a quarter-century ago. Those predictions have been proven unfounded. There is no substantiated reason for this bill to be stalled at this point.

Please get this bill scheduled immediately for the remaining two committees.

Respectfully yours,
<your name>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

77zach

email sent

Assuming no one is trying to kill it, it could be that they just don't want to take it up for time considerations. They can't really afford to spend half of a meeting on 1 bill. All the high ranking law enforcement pukes can travel from across the state at taxpayer expense to satisfy their lust of trampling the mundanes' rights. The Judiciary House committee let them talk for an hour. Does a committee have to let so many people speak, and for so long?

Last edited:

nigmalg

email sent

Assuming no one is trying to kill it, it could be that they just don't want to take it up for time considerations. They can't really afford to spend half of a meeting on 1 bill. All the high ranking law enforcement pukes can travel from across the state at taxpayer expense to satisfy their lust of trampling the mundanes' rights. The Judiciary House committee let them talk for an hour. Does a committee have to let so many people speak, and for so long?

The finger pointing is a dead giveaway someone is trying to kill it. At least in my opinion of course.

firedog

Email sent this morning... I'm with you on this head pounding thing.. :banghead:

77zach

SB432 was just placed on the JC agenda for Monday @ 1515.

Me thinks someone is deliberately stalling 234. No proof, just a hunch.

I'm ignorant of how these criminals operate. Does not the chair of the committee and their staffpersons decide the agenda?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
The committee chair, in this case Senator Anitere Flores, sets the agenda. SB 234 (the Senate open carry bill) has been assigned to her committee since March 16th and she will not put the bill on the agenda.
:cuss: :banghead:

nigmalg

The committee chair, in this case Senator Anitere Flores, sets the agenda. SB 234 (the Senate open carry bill) has been assigned to her committee since March 16th and she will not put the bill on the agenda.
:cuss: :banghead:

And what is her reasoning or explanation?

~*'Phoenix'*~

SB432 was just placed on the JC agenda for Monday @ 1515. Me thinks someone is deliberately stalling 234. No proof, just a hunch.

I want to puke for saying this, but in their defense, 432 passed Criminal Justice 2 weeks before 234 did due to their strategic postponements. They could very well be scheduling them in order. Has anyone literally spoken with Flores to find up what up?

That said, I cannot defend their (in)actions and am purely disgusted with our state government. It makes me want to move out of the state, 234 passing or not, because I can't believe how sickening my state government's system really is.

*Edit*:
Oh, but wait, aren't most of the other states' just as bad, and most other countries' worse? Well, I could at least choose to move to a state that let's me OC if it doesn't pass...

Last edited:

nigmalg

I want to puke for saying this, but in their defense, 432 passed Criminal Justice 2 weeks before 234 did due to their strategic postponements. They could very well be scheduling them in order. Has anyone literally spoken with Flores to find up what up?

That said, I cannot defend their (in)actions and am purely disgusted with our state government. It makes me want to move out of the state, 234 passing or not, because I can't believe how sickening my state government's system really is.

I just spoked with an assistant at her office. I respectfully requested her official position on SB234 and an explanation on why she's refusing to schedule it.

Basically, her assistant "hinted" at the fact that she might not have made up her mind yet. I invited to have her call to speak with me, I doubt she will.

edit: I just want to reiterate. If anyone decides to call or email her directly, it's imperative that we stay respectful.

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran

http://flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/0402

SB 402 (preemption) passed its last committee on 3/24. It is already on Monday's agenda.
Sen. Flores is holding SB 234 (carry rights) back from the calendar and won't say why.

~*'Phoenix'*~

http://flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/0402

SB 402 (preemption) passed its last committee on 3/24. It is already on Monday's agenda.
Sen. Flores is holding SB 234 (carry rights) back from the calendar and won't say why.

Oh, I didn't see that one. Ok, we're screwed.
Who do we talk to get it removed from Judiciary's discretion and skipped to Rules, like 517 got skipped out of Agriculture & Natural Resources?

*Edit*:
Or is there any chance of 517 passing house floor and being sent through completely different senate committees that will actaully get it through in time?
Yeah... nvm...

Last edited: