• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reeducation Required

DCKilla

I just can't believe the ignorance of some people. My friend was discussing carrying of firearms with his coworker, an ex-military member. His coworker stated that open carry was illegal. Also stated, that you can't carry with a round in the chamber.:eek::banghead: Where did this guy get his information from? I'm thinking about going down to his work to give this guy a lesson in firearms laws of Mississippi. IANAL, but can read and write English.

Daylen

It's a shame when people get their information from movies and national news stories; most of those are about state and local laws in New England and Kaliforniskia.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
was discussing carrying of firearms with his coworker, an ex-military member

There's where the guy got his information. And considering the source, he is sadly correct. Military cannot carry (OC, CC, in a van, with his Gran) unless someone has given orders for them to touch the firearm. And as for carrying with a round in the chamber? Not even once you pass outside the wire in Indian Country (well, used to be that way till things sort of heated up).

If you learn something in a single context you are still going to try to apply that context to all other situations - unless you have made the specific effort to learn about other contexts. Most folks do not want to put forth the effort.

There are a large number of folks that I am convinced are better off being left ignorant and wrong, rather than trying to show them the truth.

stay safe.

Aknazer

Skidmark what do you mean? I'm a military member and I've never been told that I can't oc or cc; much less that I can't carry with one in the chamber. Also when the AF carries a handgun they do so with one in the chamber and the security forces also carry the hg off of safety (though we are the only service to carry this way). Does this state have some crazy restrictions on military members or something?

EDIT: The only thing I can think of is if you mean while were on base, but that's a different story as guns are effectively banned while on base except for those who have them for official duty (you can have them on base but there's so many rules/restrictions that I'm not going to go into it all).

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You got it the second time.

And yes, some folks in the military exhibit concrete thinking - if the sergeant says something it applies to everything for the rest of their life.

stay safe.

DCKilla

I'm glad the "concrete thinking" didn't settle into my brain. After 4 years of service, I was still the same guy. I just wrote differently.:confused:

Daylen

So when you read a military writing, do you hear your drill instructor yelling?

I always figured it was because they had to get written reports from people who are, well lets just say, not English Majors and might not always abide the nuances of capitalization.