• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

borrowing a gun

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
no, that's federal law. michigan law addresses this... somewhere. and hence, preempts federal in this regard.
here's the cite everyone is looking for:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(1x...432-amended&query=on&highlight=28.432.amended

also, from msp website:
3. Is it okay if I loan my pistol to a friend?

MCL 28.432 An individual can carry, possess, use or transport a pistol belonging to another individual, if the pistol is properly licensed and inspected under the Act, and the individual carrying, possessing, using or transporting the pistol has obtained a license to carry a pistol concealed permit from Michigan
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

Your info is Old.

New statute:

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
Sec. 12.
(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.
(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.
(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.
(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.
(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.
(g) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.
(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.
(2) The amendatory act that added subsection (1)(h) shall be known and may be cited as the "Janet Kukuk act".

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
also, from msp website:
3. Is it okay if I loan my pistol to a friend?

MCL 28.432 An individual can carry, possess, use or transport a pistol belonging to another individual, if the pistol is properly licensed and inspected under the Act, and the individual carrying, possessing, using or transporting the pistol has obtained a license to carry a pistol concealed permit from Michigan
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

So what I take from this is that a MI resident with a cpl can borrow another's pistol and carry it, so long as the pistol is properly and legally owned. But, I'm assuming that this is talking about a pistol that is owned by another MI resident.[/QUOTE]

No, your dad can carry anyones lawfully possesses pistol.
28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.

(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

Bronson

There is no time limit that a CPL holder may borrow somebody else's gun.

MCL 28.422 details the requirements for getting a License to Purchase/Possess and for registering the pistol including the time frames involved.

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

Sec. 2.

MCL 28.432 Exempts a MI CPL holder who is borrowing a legally owned firearm from another person from 28.422 in it's entirety.

(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:

If he leaves a pistol here I believe that may fall under the Feds defintion of an interstate transfer and that could get people in both states in big trouble.

Bronson