Thread: Lending guns to a family member

Lending guns to a family member

Can my dad who lives in MI borrow a handgun from me to use for concealed carry? What are the laws on borrowing a gun from state to state? If I legally own a gun, can't my dad use it as long as he is legal to own/use a gun even if he is not the owner? I go up to visit all the time and bring guns. We go shooting and sometimes we borrow guns from one another. I currently have a shotgun of his and he has one of my rifles. I was going to lend him one of my compact 9mm's to try out for a new CC gun. He's ready to make the switch from a heavy revolver but wants to try it out first. Can he carry my gun legally? Can we still borrow guns from each other even though we are in differnet states? I've seen some stuff on the web recently that has me very confused.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Can my dad who lives in MI borrow a handgun from me to use for concealed carry? What are the laws on borrowing a gun from state to state? If I legally own a gun, can't my dad use it as long as he is legal to own/use a gun even if he is not the owner? I go up to visit all the time and bring guns. We go shooting and sometimes we borrow guns from one another. I currently have a shotgun of his and he has one of my rifles. I was going to lend him one of my compact 9mm's to try out for a new CC gun. He's ready to make the switch from a heavy revolver but wants to try it out first. Can he carry my gun legally? Can we still borrow guns from each other even though we are in differnet states? I've seen some stuff on the web recently that has me very confused.
    I believe that MI residents with a CPL may only carry a gun that is REGISTERED in MI. Since your handgun will not be registered in MI, he would not be able to carry it.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 03-31-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Cool Incorrect

There is no law in Ohio that says a person from another state, that has a CCW permit from another state that is in recipitory with Ohio, can't carry a gun from a relative. He can loan that person one of his guns to carry concealed in Ohio as long as that permit is recognized by Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I believe that MI residents with a CPL may only carry a gun that is REGISTERED in MI. Since your handgun will not be registered in MI, he would not be able to carry it.
    Last edited by Makarov; 04-07-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
    There is no law in Ohio that says a person from another state, that has a CCW permit from another state that is in recipitory with Ohio, can't carry a gun from a relative. He can loan that person one of his guns to carry concealed in Ohio as long as that permit is recognized by Ohio.
    I think he means for his dad to carry in MI. In OH, it wouldn't be a problem, but I think in MI you have to have your 'permission slip' to buy own any handgun that you carry. Not sure, but he should check it out first.