Thread: Annoying Employee at Mill's Fleet Farm

Annoying Employee at Mill's Fleet Farm

So I was at Fleet Farm last night open carrying my revolver and minding my own business looking at gun cleaning products when I heard this mother with her child ask a store clerk about a Mosin Nagant. It was about half an hour before closing time, and the mother was interested in picking up the gun because it was about 100 bucks and she was interested in owning a gun. The clerk informed the mother that it could take up to 7 days for the ATF to let her purchase the firearm, at that point once she was done talking I told the mother that long guns are usually approved to walk out the door the same day, and that in WI it was only handguns that required a 48 hour wait. The store employee kept saying it varies differently for each store because of policies, and so I then said it's actually only the state of WI and Federal Law that will determine how long the lady would have to wait for a gun. At that point the store employee said "Sir, excuse me but I'm telling her."

At that point I quit talking to the employee and only spoke directly to the mother, and I asked her if she was buying it for home defense. She said no and was just interested in owning one to shoot, I told her that was very cool and the Mosin Nagant was a fun gun to shoot. After the store employee convinced her to come back because the mother's drivers license was not up to date(which doesn't really matter as long as you put the address on the license on the ATF form), I waited until the employee was gone and kindly informed her the actual requirements to purchase a long gun and handgun in WI. She was quite pleased and told me to have a good night, and I told her the same.

I don't think the store clerk wouldn't have been so rude if I wasn't open carrying, and no one at this Fleet Farm has treated me with any disrespect before until her. I just don't think it's right for a store employee to tell the uninformed public who are interested in owning guns that it can take up to 7 days to purchase a long gun. Ridiculous...
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Which Fleet Farm ??? Green Bay West ?

Good Job ! If I would have been there I would have said......Store Employee Your Wrong ! Myself Being a person that worked at an ACTUAL gun store , With Long Guns ...you call into the state & get approved either on the spot , you might get a few day hold or you will be denied. & Like you said with Hand gun purchases it's a 48 hour wait.

I would have then gave that girl , my friends business card..he is an FFL ...call this guy buy it from him.
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 03-31-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Ironically, I also went to fleet farm not too long ago to pick up a Mosin Nagant. The man that I talked too had a similar attitude. I was standing there after a class in my instructor shirt and OIF Veteran hat, and he insisted on arguing with me about the address item you listed above.

I explained to him that this was my business, and any fault in knowing the law could cost me everything, to which he replied, "Well I sell the F*****G things, so I know more than you do about this."

I then talked to the manager who told me that it was a company policy and not a law, but that he would stand by his employee. I agreed that he should stand by his employee, but that it was all sorts of wrong the way I was treated. I then walked out and have not returned since.

Fleet farm generally is very anti-gun from what I have seen. I am actually surprised that they let you open carry at all in the store since most locations post no gun signs. It also makes me wonder why they sell the damn things in the first place. Either way, they will never get another dime from me after that situation.

On my way home I stopped at a gun shop and ordered the Nagant 91/30 and had it for just a few bucks more in no more than a few days.
    Last edited by CalicoJack10; 03-31-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    Ironically, I also went to fleet farm not too long ago to pick up a Mosin Nagant. The man that I talked too had a similar attitude. I was standing there after a class in my instructor shirt and OIF Veteran hat, and he insisted on arguing with me about the address item you listed above.

I explained to him that this was my business, and any fault in knowing the law could cost me everything, to which he replied, "Well I sell the F*****G things, so I know more than you do about this."

I then talked to the manager who told me that it was a company policy and not a law, but that he would stand by his employee. I agreed that he should stand by his employee, but that it was all sorts of wrong the way I was treated. I then walked out and have not returned since.

Fleet farm generally is very anti-gun from what I have seen. I am actually surprised that they let you open carry at all in the store since most locations post no gun signs. It also makes me wonder why they sell the damn things in the first place. Either way, they will never get another dime from me after that situation.

On my way home I stopped at a gun shop and ordered the Nagant 91/30 and had it for just a few bucks more in no more than a few days.
    Mill's Fleet Farm - open carry friendly
    Blain's Farm & Fleet - not carry friendly

I have a close family friend that is management at the Menomonie Mill's so if you (pyro) can recall the employees name I could make sure they are talked to.

McX
    a sale on Nagants?! Why wasnt i informed?!

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    a sale on Nagants?! Why wasnt i informed?!
    The fish wrap they send out says they are $89, with all the accoutrement's. Just make sure you do a serious cleaning on the barrel before you shoot them as they are usually caked with nasties that would possibly do some damage. Mine was so thick that I couldn't seat a round.

MattD

Thanks for the correction, I always thought that they were the same place. Guess I was wrong.
    Last edited by CalicoJack10; 03-31-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

The clerks at Mills Fleet Farm are NOT well informed about ATF paper work. Last summer I picked up a Henry for my dad's B Day and would not honor my FFL and made me do the paper work.Iguess they cannot read or understand the instructions for question #23 on the 4473.
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

I patronize sports shops and not chain stores. Preferably family owned.

Siefly

I buy all my firearms from Private FFL's or cash sales.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Mill's Fleet Farm in Menomonie, WI. Sorry to disappoint :P

@MattD, I never caught her name, but you can tell the manager it was the girl who worked hunting and sporting goods on the evening of March 30th. I believe she was a brunette with long hair. Looked to be in her 20's or early 30's.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    So I was at Fleet Farm last night open carrying my revolver and minding my own business looking at gun cleaning products when I heard this mother with her child ask a store clerk about a Mosin Nagant. It was about half an hour before closing time, and the mother was interested in picking up the gun because it was about 100 bucks and she was interested in owning a gun. The clerk informed the mother that it could take up to 7 days for the ATF to let her purchase the firearm, at that point once she was done talking I told the mother that long guns are usually approved to walk out the door the same day, and that in WI it was only handguns that required a 48 hour wait. The store employee kept saying it varies differently for each store because of policies, and so I then said it's actually only the state of WI and Federal Law that will determine how long the lady would have to wait for a gun. At that point the store employee said "Sir, excuse me but I'm telling her."

At that point I quit talking to the employee and only spoke directly to the mother, and I asked her if she was buying it for home defense. She said no and was just interested in owning one to shoot, I told her that was very cool and the Mosin Nagant was a fun gun to shoot. After the store employee convinced her to come back because the mother's drivers license was not up to date(which doesn't really matter as long as you put the address on the license on the ATF form), I waited until the employee was gone and kindly informed her the actual requirements to purchase a long gun and handgun in WI. She was quite pleased and told me to have a good night, and I told her the same.

I don't think the store clerk wouldn't have been so rude if I wasn't open carrying, and no one at this Fleet Farm has treated me with any disrespect before until her. I just don't think it's right for a store employee to tell the uninformed public who are interested in owning guns that it can take up to 7 days to purchase a long gun. Ridiculous...
    Very nice - you should have pointed her into the .22 rimfire section too.

I do not know about knowledge of the sporting goods section at Fleet, but I do have in writing (email) that Mill's Fleet Farm is open carry friendly. It does surprise the employees that the policy is to allow it. If there are problems with OC, just keep asking for the store manager and then if that still does not help, get the contact info for the regional manager.

The regional manager that I have talked with was a guy named Chad from the Appleton store.
    Carry: XD .40 4"

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    I buy all my firearms from Private FFL's or cash sales.
    I buy wholsale normally but some times their price is better than wholesale if they got something on a good sale.
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Sounds like the guys was pretty much a dipstick. That said he is right about the drivers license. If you do not have you current address on you DL then it is not considered a valid ID. If you put your old address down on the 4473 or State handgun form then you are lying on a government form and can be prosecuted for such.

It an annoying, but that's how they (gov) want it. It's kind of the same thing if you have an ID or DL that's expired. The info may all be correct, but just because it's expired, it's not valid.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

I agree with you on that, it's illegal and it should never be done!

- Thomas Jefferson

Sir!

You're attempting to purchase an inferior communist product instead of this top of the line fascist produced K98. I'm afraid there's a 7 day waiting period on that.

Good day to you sir,

I said good day

Quote Originally Posted by Vandil View Post
    Sir!

You're attempting to purchase an inferior communist product instead of this top of the line fascist produced K98. I'm afraid there's a 7 day waiting period on that.

Seven days?...... I've seen Enemy At The Gates... I know that the waiting period isn't that long. Don't you see I'm holding a clip with 7.62 X 54R?
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

You can never have too many guns

Thanks to this thread, I'm heading to FF after work and buying one. $89.95 - That's what credit cards are for!

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Seven days?...... I've seen Enemy At The Gates... I know that the waiting period isn't that long. Don't you see I'm holding a clip with 7.62 X 54R?
    It's not a clip!...oh wait, yes it is.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbersmom View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I'm heading to FF after work and buying one. $89.95 - That's what credit cards are for!
    I need to go pick one up as well. No sense in not owning one at that price.

- Thomas Jefferson

I need to go pick one up as well. No sense in not owning one at that price.
    Everything you need to know (almost).

I have two, including one with the scope. The firing pin on these things looks like an old metal ball point pen cartridge.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mosincarbine/index.asp
    Last edited by Flipper; 04-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

[...] I was standing there after a class in my instructor shirt and OIF Veteran hat, [...]
    I like OIF Veteran hats

on a side note for everyone else, get your FFL 03 (C&R 03) license, then you can have these puppies (Mosin Nagants) delivered to your front door. It's easy.
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlockMeisterG21 View Post
    Sounds like the guys was pretty much a dipstick. That said he is right about the drivers license. If you do not have you current address on you DL then it is not considered a valid ID. If you put your old address down on the 4473 or State handgun form then you are lying on a government form and can be prosecuted for such.

It an annoying, but that's how they (gov) want it. It's kind of the same thing if you have an ID or DL that's expired. The info may all be correct, but just because it's expired, it's not valid.
    Had this happen a few years ago while buying a gun at Gander Mountain in Brookfield. Was in college at the time so my address wasn't accurate on my DL. Went down the street to the State Patrol Headquarters and picked up a change of address sticker from the lobby(place was closed). Wrote my new address on it and stuck it to the back of my license....problem solved. Went back to Gander and bought the gun. Kinda ridiculous but that is one way to solve that without having to get a new DL.