• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Annoying Employee at Mill's Fleet Farm

Pyro01

So I was at Fleet Farm last night open carrying my revolver and minding my own business looking at gun cleaning products when I heard this mother with her child ask a store clerk about a Mosin Nagant. It was about half an hour before closing time, and the mother was interested in picking up the gun because it was about 100 bucks and she was interested in owning a gun. The clerk informed the mother that it could take up to 7 days for the ATF to let her purchase the firearm, at that point once she was done talking I told the mother that long guns are usually approved to walk out the door the same day, and that in WI it was only handguns that required a 48 hour wait. The store employee kept saying it varies differently for each store because of policies, and so I then said it's actually only the state of WI and Federal Law that will determine how long the lady would have to wait for a gun. At that point the store employee said "Sir, excuse me but I'm telling her."

At that point I quit talking to the employee and only spoke directly to the mother, and I asked her if she was buying it for home defense. She said no and was just interested in owning one to shoot, I told her that was very cool and the Mosin Nagant was a fun gun to shoot. After the store employee convinced her to come back because the mother's drivers license was not up to date(which doesn't really matter as long as you put the address on the license on the ATF form), I waited until the employee was gone and kindly informed her the actual requirements to purchase a long gun and handgun in WI. She was quite pleased and told me to have a good night, and I told her the same.

I don't think the store clerk wouldn't have been so rude if I wasn't open carrying, and no one at this Fleet Farm has treated me with any disrespect before until her. I just don't think it's right for a store employee to tell the uninformed public who are interested in owning guns that it can take up to 7 days to purchase a long gun. Ridiculous...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Which Fleet Farm ??? Green Bay West ?

Good Job ! If I would have been there I would have said......Store Employee Your Wrong ! Myself Being a person that worked at an ACTUAL gun store , With Long Guns ...you call into the state & get approved either on the spot , you might get a few day hold or you will be denied. & Like you said with Hand gun purchases it's a 48 hour wait.

I would have then gave that girl , my friends business card..he is an FFL ...call this guy buy it from him. :)

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

Ironically, I also went to fleet farm not too long ago to pick up a Mosin Nagant. The man that I talked too had a similar attitude. I was standing there after a class in my instructor shirt and OIF Veteran hat, and he insisted on arguing with me about the address item you listed above.

I explained to him that this was my business, and any fault in knowing the law could cost me everything, to which he replied, "Well I sell the F*****G things, so I know more than you do about this."

I then talked to the manager who told me that it was a company policy and not a law, but that he would stand by his employee. I agreed that he should stand by his employee, but that it was all sorts of wrong the way I was treated. I then walked out and have not returned since.

Fleet farm generally is very anti-gun from what I have seen. I am actually surprised that they let you open carry at all in the store since most locations post no gun signs. It also makes me wonder why they sell the damn things in the first place. Either way, they will never get another dime from me after that situation.

On my way home I stopped at a gun shop and ordered the Nagant 91/30 and had it for just a few bucks more in no more than a few days.

Last edited:

MattD

Ironically, I also went to fleet farm not too long ago to pick up a Mosin Nagant. The man that I talked too had a similar attitude. I was standing there after a class in my instructor shirt and OIF Veteran hat, and he insisted on arguing with me about the address item you listed above.

I explained to him that this was my business, and any fault in knowing the law could cost me everything, to which he replied, "Well I sell the F*****G things, so I know more than you do about this."

I then talked to the manager who told me that it was a company policy and not a law, but that he would stand by his employee. I agreed that he should stand by his employee, but that it was all sorts of wrong the way I was treated. I then walked out and have not returned since.

Fleet farm generally is very anti-gun from what I have seen. I am actually surprised that they let you open carry at all in the store since most locations post no gun signs. It also makes me wonder why they sell the damn things in the first place. Either way, they will never get another dime from me after that situation.

On my way home I stopped at a gun shop and ordered the Nagant 91/30 and had it for just a few bucks more in no more than a few days.

Mill's Fleet Farm - open carry friendly
Blain's Farm & Fleet - not carry friendly

I have a close family friend that is management at the Menomonie Mill's so if you (pyro) can recall the employees name I could make sure they are talked to.

CalicoJack10

a sale on Nagants?! Why wasnt i informed?!

The fish wrap they send out says they are $89, with all the accoutrement's. Just make sure you do a serious cleaning on the barrel before you shoot them as they are usually caked with nasties that would possibly do some damage. Mine was so thick that I couldn't seat a round.

MattD

Thanks for the correction, I always thought that they were the same place. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited:

littlewolf

The clerks at Mills Fleet Farm are NOT well informed about ATF paper work. Last summer I picked up a Henry for my dad's B Day and would not honor my FFL and made me do the paper work.Iguess they cannot read or understand the instructions for question #23 on the 4473.

Pyro01

Mill's Fleet Farm in Menomonie, WI. Sorry to disappoint :p

@MattD, I never caught her name, but you can tell the manager it was the girl who worked hunting and sporting goods on the evening of March 30th. I believe she was a brunette with long hair. Looked to be in her 20's or early 30's.

anmut

So I was at Fleet Farm last night open carrying my revolver and minding my own business looking at gun cleaning products when I heard this mother with her child ask a store clerk about a Mosin Nagant. It was about half an hour before closing time, and the mother was interested in picking up the gun because it was about 100 bucks and she was interested in owning a gun. The clerk informed the mother that it could take up to 7 days for the ATF to let her purchase the firearm, at that point once she was done talking I told the mother that long guns are usually approved to walk out the door the same day, and that in WI it was only handguns that required a 48 hour wait. The store employee kept saying it varies differently for each store because of policies, and so I then said it's actually only the state of WI and Federal Law that will determine how long the lady would have to wait for a gun. At that point the store employee said "Sir, excuse me but I'm telling her."

At that point I quit talking to the employee and only spoke directly to the mother, and I asked her if she was buying it for home defense. She said no and was just interested in owning one to shoot, I told her that was very cool and the Mosin Nagant was a fun gun to shoot. After the store employee convinced her to come back because the mother's drivers license was not up to date(which doesn't really matter as long as you put the address on the license on the ATF form), I waited until the employee was gone and kindly informed her the actual requirements to purchase a long gun and handgun in WI. She was quite pleased and told me to have a good night, and I told her the same.

I don't think the store clerk wouldn't have been so rude if I wasn't open carrying, and no one at this Fleet Farm has treated me with any disrespect before until her. I just don't think it's right for a store employee to tell the uninformed public who are interested in owning guns that it can take up to 7 days to purchase a long gun. Ridiculous...

Very nice - you should have pointed her into the .22 rimfire section too.

xd40 neenah

I do not know about knowledge of the sporting goods section at Fleet, but I do have in writing (email) that Mill's Fleet Farm is open carry friendly. It does surprise the employees that the policy is to allow it. If there are problems with OC, just keep asking for the store manager and then if that still does not help, get the contact info for the regional manager.

The regional manager that I have talked with was a guy named Chad from the Appleton store.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran

Sounds like the guys was pretty much a dipstick. That said he is right about the drivers license. If you do not have you current address on you DL then it is not considered a valid ID. If you put your old address down on the 4473 or State handgun form then you are lying on a government form and can be prosecuted for such.

It an annoying, but that's how they (gov) want it. It's kind of the same thing if you have an ID or DL that's expired. The info may all be correct, but just because it's expired, it's not valid.

Vandil

Sir!

You're attempting to purchase an inferior communist product instead of this top of the line fascist produced K98. I'm afraid there's a 7 day waiting period on that.

Good day to you sir,

I said good day:banghead:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Sir!

You're attempting to purchase an inferior communist product instead of this top of the line fascist produced K98. I'm afraid there's a 7 day waiting period on that.

Seven days?...... I've seen Enemy At The Gates... I know that the waiting period isn't that long. Don't you see I'm holding a clip with 7.62 X 54R?