• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good place for CPL training?

MikeTheGreek

I want to get my CPL in a few months, but I'm not sure which place is the best around me to go to. I live in the Livonia/Northville/Redford/Detroit/Southfield (lol..lots of borders) area. Action Impact is directly across the street from my work, but I heard a lot of people don't like them. I also heard a lot of CPL instructors rant about the downsides of OC and tell people how stupid it is (and even say it's illegal) and I definitely would not want to sit in one of those classes all day.

Any suggestions about a good place? and any idea how much it usually costs?

stainless1911

Banned
About a hundred fifty dollars. The law requires that you are there for 4 hours range, 4 hours class time.

I went through www.WildWestAcademy.com Mark Cortis is on the gun board, and is an excellent instructor. He also does non firearms self defense, and advanced weapons training.

Scott Webb of Webb Tactical is also a very excellent instructor. He is an open carrier, and if I recall correctly, is the current president of Michigan Open Carry inc. I dont have his website handy.

MikeTheGreek

Do you currently carry openly? And Welcome to OCDO:D

Both Scott and Mark support OC

I'm actually in the process of getting copies of my citizenship papers (somebody burned mine..lol) so I cant own or carry a firearm until I get those.

But when I get them, I plan on OC'ing every day. I only want my CPL so I can open carry in more places.

I will look at both of the places you mentioned, thank you.

malignity

Scott Webb, president of Michigan Open Carry Inc. is a CPL instructor as stated above. Check him out man. You won't get the flak from him obviously, and he knows his laws like the back of his hand. I'd highly recommend him.

www.webbtactical.com

If you don't go with Scott, Mark Cortis is a good alternative.

Last edited:

Harry25

Scott Webb, president of Michigan Open Carry Inc. is a CPL instructor as stated above. Check him out man. You won't get the flak from him obviously, and he knows his laws like the back of his hand. I'd highly recommend him.

www.webbtactical.com

I took mine through Scott, and couldn't have been more pleased. He presents the information in a way that engages you, and makes you wanting to learn more. On the range, Scott, and Cortez were very hands-on helping to make sure that you're able to make your shots count.

I'd highly recommend his class.

Michigander

Just to add one more option, and not to steer you away from the others since I would have brought those up too, but just to list one more good one, Ian Kinder of the Live Safe Academy is the best combat tactic instructor I have ever met or had the chance to practice with, and I don't say that lightly because I strongly believe that 90% or more of fighting instructors are bull **** con artists. Ian doesn't teach all that many CPL classes normally, but he teaches some, and everything he does is second to none.

www.livesafeacademy.com

Eurotour

Does anyone have any good suggestions (besides Silver Bullet) for something on the West Side...Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Holland?

xmanhockey7

Does anyone have any good suggestions (besides Silver Bullet) for something on the West Side...Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Holland?

If you're willing to come down to Kzoo I know an off duty police officer to take it from. I went to him for mine. He charges $100 and knows what he is talking about. I found his class to be very different from what others have described their CPL classes to be like. He knows the legalities of open carry and has no problem with it. His class is not as much learning that you need to keep a gun pointed in a safe directions and other stupid common sense stuff like that (he does briefly cover it), he mostly talks about how to survive a gun fight and shows many video examples of shooting then everyone elaborates on it. The class room part was just as fun for me as the range. I really enjoyed the whole experience and the instructor was really great.

There is a class April 9th at the Kalamazoo County Jail. If you are interested email Matt Emmert at meemme@kalcounty.com and he will sign you up.

Ruger95

I just finished my CPL training at Rick's Firearm Academy. Rick is an excellent NRA trainer. He has been interviewed by newspapers, tv and radio shows for his expertise. He has also appeared on NRAnews.com He has a gun savvy lawyer teach your legal responsibilities to carry concealed. He is in the Southfield area.

He charges $150 plus $10 for range time at an area range. Check out his website.

http://www.detroitccw.com/

Ruger95

He's for OC and has been to some of the OC get-to-gethers in metro Detroit. He had an OC picnic on Belle Isle some time ago. He's well known.

Michigander

Very good point about Rick, and in fact I feel stupid for not remembering to mention him. I've met with him many times, and he is as pro open carry and knowledgeable on gun laws as most here.

Mitchell

http://www.washtenawsportsmansclub.org/programs/ppt/

This is where I got mine and several friend. It only $100 and will cover the bases. much closer than Roseville. Although I have met Scott on a couple occasions now and would take his class, but I am not hoofing it for 1.5 hours for something I can do here and not have complaints.

Yes, they will have an attorney.

MikeTheGreek

Jesus, I forgot that I posted this oh so long ago before I got my Citizenship papers back! I'm going to check of Scott Webb is having a class this saturday. Hopefully he is.