• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many rounds do you carry?

How many rounds do you carry?

• Total voters

elixin77

If I need more that this in public, I will need more than a pistol.

I carry 25 rounds (8+1, 8 and 8). i also carry two spare mags in case the first one (or either of the other one) fails for whatever reason.

it is far faster for me to just reload, then do the tap rack ready routine, and I feel far more comfortable doing a reload vs the routine (during practice with both live and dummy rounds, my thumb has a bad tendency to twitch, and it rests near the mag release - do the math).

Also, there have been a few times during a USPSA match (I use these matches to hone my shooting skills, not necessarily to compete) where my mag (for whatever reason) decides not to feed. Never worry, I have 5 more on my hip: so i drop the trouble mag, and keep going. This doesn't happen to me anymore since I bought new mags though

and besides, what if you miss with your whole mag (which is very likely)? your opponent might still be going, but your fresh out.

Last edited:

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
It depends on what and how I am carrying. If I am carrying my full primary work rig then I have a Glock 17 Gen 4 with 19+1 in the gun, two 19rd reloads (Peirce +2 extensions on 17rd mags), a Colt Cobra .38spl 6rd as a back-up with a six rd speed strip reload. Total is 70rds. Then there's a ZT0301 folding knife, Surefire E!B Backup flashlight, and Surefire Pen.

eBratt

Same thing: depends. Standard carry is my Springfield XD9 with 2x15rnd mags +1. If I carry lite, it may just be the one mag or even just my little SW 642 with 5 rnds and 6 extra on the belt.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
For my revolver, usually just the 7 in the cylinder, sometimes I'll have an extra speed loader.

With the 92FS, I have 18+1 (MecGar) in Nevada. The 18 round Mec-gar is flush fit. I may get a 20 round mec-gar soon which might be nice to have for a reload. In CA though usually 1-4 10 round mags, but the gun is unloaded.

So for NV, 7 or 19 usually, for CA, usually 30.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I usually carry one extra magazine, doesn't matter if it's a single stack or double stack. I really don't carry the extra for the ammo, but just in case I have a mag fail on me. I usually keep my double stack mags downloaded by one round since they are hard to seat with a closed slide.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I carry 2 guns so take that into consideration

.45 ACPBeretta PX4 Storm loaded with 10 (1 extra 10 round mag) = 20 rounds
9mm Beretta 92FS loaded with q5 rounds (4 extra 15 round mags) = 75 rounds

I carry 95 rounds anywhere I go. This should allow me to get back to where the REAL Zombie Apocalypse stuff is stored.

How can you walk with all that! :eek::banana::monkey I bet you are not dancing a jig either or not for long lol.

Personally I carry 9 in the carry gun and 2 mags for a total carry of 27 and no I do not replace the chambered round with another. That is a topic for another day.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

How can you walk with all that! :eek::banana::monkey I bet you are not dancing a jig either or not for long lol.

Personally I carry 9 in the carry gun and 2 mags for a total carry of 27 and no I do not replace the chambered round with another. That is a topic for another day.

Dave,
I carry the 9mm in a shoulder rig with 2 mags on the other side. My gun belt has 2 spare mags and my .45

Nevada carrier

Depending on what I carry I may have more or less ammo on me. I always have a fully loaded and chambered firearm with two full mags to spare.

if I'm carrying my 1911, the answer is 25; my 24/7 .40 S&W the answer is 46, my Glock 36, the answer is 19, same as my Taurus TCP. If I'm carrying my AR15, the answer is 240; but don't be fooled, I have over 5000 rounds of 5.56 NATO in reserve if that aint enough. I keep 1000 rounds of each of my pistol calibers in reserve (barring the .380), but if **** gets so deep that I have to break into those, it's FMJ hard ball time.

OldCurlyWolf

25 of 10mm - 3 mags +1 31 of .40 S&W - 3 mags +1 and about 100 rnds each still in the box are usually available on short notice.

That is IF I am not toting my shotgun also.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
That's when I call you. Besides, my wife carries also!

Trust me, if there's Zombies, I am heading to DEROS' place. :)

You might want to head to Vancouver and meet at my dad's house.... trust me on this one.... of course I have over 20,000 rounds for a few different long guns....each...

j4l

OC/Primary = 25 rounds of .45 acp-/230 grain Gold Dots (12+1 loaded, 12 in the second mag)
CC/BUG = 6 rounds loaded, after that, we go to the blades.

for the 870 in-home, 5x 00 buck w 5 slugs on the saddle.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Remember, we are all accountable & responsible for the bullets we fire down range, if an innocent accidentally get's killed by a "stray" round or a round that over penetrated from that 50 cal & went through the house behind your attacker & struck that sleeping 3 year old in the head >>> your ROYALLY SCREWED & in a big way...if you can keep your cool under fire & not develop tunnel vision you won't need all those rounds or a Hand cannon...realistically we all should need no more than 6 shots, I carry 2 fully loaded 17 round 9mm mags like i stated earlier but if I needed more than 1 fully loaded mag I am in a world of shittola anyways & won't have enough rounds to fight off that Mexican cartel hit squad. :)

Last edited:

j4l

I dont think anyone is suggesting actually blazing-away with every round they have on -hand..just stating what one carries.