• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC overreaction in James City County shopping center 3-30-2011?

Mtam

So one morale I take from this is...if someone sees you OCing and calls the police and states you were brandishing, even though they may not know what that means exactally, that gives the police a legal reason to stop you even though you were doing nothing wrong. If you decide you don't want to discuss the issue with the police on scene and remain silent you WILL be cuffed and stuffed and will have to deal with it in court. Since police are allowed to lie can't they just see you OCing, approach and tell you "someone" claimed you were brandishing then require all your info etc?

Repeater

Ok, here's my insight on the matter since I have dealt with many situations involving "brandishing" (it's in quotations because most people don't understand the concept, although most on this site do). 9-1-1 gets calls all the time with people calling in saying they got "robbed" when in reality they get their car was broken into the night before which is incorrect. There is a lot of conflicting statements made by citizens to the police. Trust me (or don't), the police understand that some complainants 1: don't know laws, 2: might not have a proper mental capacity/intelligence, 3: lie, 4. embellish. It's called investigating the matter fully to make sure the outcome is just and legal. If not, then the LEO/agency/state will be held liable (laws in place already for that).

If a complainant claims someone "brandished" a firearm, there are a few things that will occur. The officers will meet with the complainant and get their side of the story and hopefully meet with the "suspect" and get their side. Given most circumstances, the suspect will legally be stopped (terry stopped/detained) and disarmed during the duration of the investigation. The officers will need probable cause to make the warrantless arrest (misdemeanor brandishing exception was already mentioned above). Now, brandishing is a misdemeanor, and misdemeanors in VA are released on a summons. However, there are exceptions to releasing on a summons (criteria and/or crimes). Brandishing is easily articulated as one of those crimes. 19.2-74 states that you can make a custodial arrest for a misdemeanor (with probable cause and that falls into the legal requirements of an arrest) if you believe the person is a danger to others. So if someone just brandished a firearm, it's simple to reasonable state they are dangerous to another person and therefore you will be taken forthwith to jail/magistrate after making a custodial arrest. The gun is evidence and will legally be seized. If the investigation appears that the complainant was wrong and no crime was committed, the "suspect" will immediately be allowed to leave.

From personal experience, if both the suspect and complainant have very conflicting statements and officers are comfortable making an arrest... usually the officers will... 1: Detain the "suspect". 2. Take the complainant to the magistrates office to speak with a magistrate and swear out the warrant themselves. 3: If the magistrate issues a warrant, the officers will then arrest the "suspect". If not, the suspect will be immediately released, and the firearm returned. Remember, in VA, any citizen can petition a magistrate for a warrant, not just LEOs.

This is just my insight, I know I am disliked but I figured some still would find a LEOs POV interesting on the subject. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with how things work that I mentioned above, I am merely bringing it to light. Also keep in mind, there are many instances where people legitimately brandish guns at others in a threatening manner. At times, brandishing calls will evolve into situations where people (citizens or responding LEOs) are shot/killed.

Well, that all seems fairly accurate. The solution is to amend the law to protect Virginians from false accusations of "brandishing" -- wonder if that's possible.

nuc65

Activist Member
Ok, here's my insight on the matter since I have dealt with many situations involving "brandishing" (it's in quotations because most people don't understand the concept, although most on this site do). 9-1-1 gets calls all the time with people calling in saying they got "robbed" when in reality they get their car was broken into the night before which is incorrect. There is a lot of conflicting statements made by citizens to the police. Trust me (or don't), the police understand that some complainants 1: don't know laws, 2: might not have a proper mental capacity/intelligence, 3: lie, 4. embellish. It's called investigating the matter fully to make sure the outcome is just and legal. If not, then the LEO/agency/state will be held liable (laws in place already for that).

If a complainant claims someone "brandished" a firearm, there are a few things that will occur. The officers will meet with the complainant and get their side of the story and hopefully meet with the "suspect" and get their side. Given most circumstances, the suspect will legally be stopped (terry stopped/detained) and disarmed during the duration of the investigation. The officers will need probable cause to make the warrantless arrest (misdemeanor brandishing exception was already mentioned above). Now, brandishing is a misdemeanor, and misdemeanors in VA are released on a summons. However, there are exceptions to releasing on a summons (criteria and/or crimes). Brandishing is easily articulated as one of those crimes. 19.2-74 states that you can make a custodial arrest for a misdemeanor (with probable cause and that falls into the legal requirements of an arrest) if you believe the person is a danger to others. So if someone just brandished a firearm, it's simple to reasonable state they are dangerous to another person and therefore you will be taken forthwith to jail/magistrate after making a custodial arrest. The gun is evidence and will legally be seized. If the investigation appears that the complainant was wrong and no crime was committed, the "suspect" will immediately be allowed to leave.

From personal experience, if both the suspect and complainant have very conflicting statements and officers are comfortable making an arrest... usually the officers will... 1: Detain the "suspect". 2. Take the complainant to the magistrates office to speak with a magistrate and swear out the warrant themselves. 3: If the magistrate issues a warrant, the officers will then arrest the "suspect". If not, the suspect will be immediately released, and the firearm returned. Remember, in VA, any citizen can petition a magistrate for a warrant, not just LEOs.

This is just my insight, I know I am disliked but I figured some still would find a LEOs POV interesting on the subject. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with how things work that I mentioned above, I am merely bringing it to light. Also keep in mind, there are many instances where people legitimately brandish guns at others in a threatening manner. At times, brandishing calls will evolve into situations where people (citizens or responding LEOs) are shot/killed.

Also, found this earlier, and thought you all might think it's interesting.. http://www.wpxi.com/news/27425029/detail.html

Thank you for the insight. One question: If the person making the complaint doesn't swear out the warrant and you don't arrest the suspect, is the sidearm returned?

nuc65

Activist Member
"Brandishing", "robbed", "using drugs", "driving under the influence", and few other terms are thrown out there when people really want the police to respond. The initial complaint may be loud music but because that isn't a high priority call in and of itself, the caller throws in terms like "underage drinking" and "smoking narcotics" to make it sound more important. In reality the group of underage teenagers smoking marijuana listening to loud punk rock is a group of middle age guys listening to The Eagles, smoking Marlboro's and drinking Budweiser. Enter the "huh?" factor.

Then there is a great deal lost in translation. Caller ----> 911 Operator ----> Dispatcher ----> Police Units. The police arrive on a scene that does not match the description of what was given out over the radio or MDT. That goes back to the "huh?" factor.

The news got a hold of this so I will assume that it was conveyed to the officers in the manner that someone was brandishing a firearm. Police scanner 101.

My neighbors have been moving, but being as how they work they finished up late at night. They told me that somebody called 911 and told the police that they were moving in the rain after dark. I thought it was interesting the police investigated.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My neighbors have been moving, but being as how they work they finished up late at night. They told me that somebody called 911 and told the police that they were moving in the rain after dark. I thought it was interesting the police investigated.

Probably investigated whether someone was involved in a home burglary.

NovaCop

Repeater,

I agree, but like someone already mentioned stupidity is not illegal. The big thing with inaccurate statements is proving malice intent instead of stupidity.

Nuc,

Yes if the "victim" doesn't swear out a warrant, eventually the gun will be returned in a timely fashion. I say "eventually" because the victim has a statute of limitations that they can go swear a warrant, usually up to a year for misdemeanors. I believe that the "suspect" could contact the Commonwealth Attorneys office to inquire getting their gun back since it looks like the "victim" is no longer pursing charges. Off the top of my head, I can't remember a gun being seized and then returned for this type of situation. I have had similar experiences with other types of evidence, and I have been contacted by the Commonwealth Attorney to authorize the release since it appeared the victim no longer wants to prosecute, which I have. I guess the Commonwealth Attorney's office would have better insight than I would.

paramedic70002

So if some yahoo insists that I was for some reason under the Code 'brandishing' and I insist that I wasn't, our stories conflict so I get arrested and taken to the Magistrate. This could be as simple as "His hand was near the gun and he looked threatening."

Not a good situation.

In other news...

Several years ago I was arrested for brandishing. I was simply carrying my sidearm, in my hand, from my car to my house, on my property. The next door neighbor's kid saw me and his Dad got a warrant. The Judge was conflicted about the whole deal and split the difference with a year of probation and the charge dropped. Not ideal but could have been a lot worse.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So if some yahoo insists that I was for some reason under the Code 'brandishing' and I insist that I wasn't, our stories conflict so I get arrested and taken to the Magistrate. This could be as simple as "His hand was near the gun and he looked threatening."

Not a good situation.

In other news...

Several years ago I was arrested for brandishing. I was simply carrying my sidearm, in my hand, from my car to my house, on my property. The next door neighbor's kid saw me and his Dad got a warrant. The Judge was conflicted about the whole deal and split the difference with a year of probation and the charge dropped. Not ideal but could have been a lot worse.

That happens on a regular basis Paramedic.
It is as abused as the old loitering laws were.
I know of one instance where a man was arrested because he had a gun sitting on a briefcase 50 feet away. A passerby saw it and was afraid.

NovaCop

Not a good situation.

In other news...

Well, I guess you know first hand how the warrant thing works. Seems in your case, the police did what I said would most likely happen. They wrote up the report and left the responsibility up to the "victim" (Dad in this case since it was his child) to swear out the warrant. I guess the issue arises from cases where it is just "his word vs mine". I don't think there is really a solution that will prevent these types of mistakes to be made. I guess in your situation the judge found "probable cause" and issued the warrant, which doesn't mean your guilty, just means he found enough support for the charge to go to court.

How did you get probation with the charge being dropped? You plead to something less?

MKEgal

Repeater said:
...amend the law to protect Virginians from false accusations of "brandishing" -- wonder if that's possible.
Until the law is amended, make your pistol so very unusual that whoever's around when you draw it (esp. the person you point it at) can't help but notice.

That way, if there's a false accusation you can have the officers ask the complainer* to describe your pistol, what's unusual about it, and when they say "nothing, it's just an evil black gun" the officers can then take yours from the holster (if they haven't already), see how unmistakably unusual it is, & know the complainer is lying.
NB that if they disarm you upon arrival, it needs to be out of sight of the complainer, & it helps if none of your alterations are visible while it's in the holster.

My preferred carry pistol was recently stolen by police during a home invasion (4A civil rights case pending), but it has brightly-colored stickers over each instance of the serial # (to help protect against unwarranted searches) as well as covering the front of the barrel... which would be immediately obvious to whoever it was pointed at.

* Yes, I know the legal term is "complainant". This is more accurate.

NovaCop

It sounds more like a "withhold finding of guilty", i.e. Keep your nose clean for a year, and the charges will be dropped. Not that uncommon.

Well I was under the impression that by "dropped" he meant dismissed, which courts around here don't dismiss cases to then apply a sentence. Suspended sentences are common after the fact, but just confused on his wording. Courts vary around the state though.

NovaCop

Until the law is amended, make your pistol so very unusual that whoever's around when you draw it (esp. the person you point it at) can't help but notice.

That way, if there's a false accusation you can have the officers ask the complainer* to describe your pistol, what's unusual about it, and when they say "nothing, it's just an evil black gun" the officers can then take yours from the holster (if they haven't already), see how unmistakably unusual it is, & know the complainer is lying.
NB that if they disarm you upon arrival, it needs to be out of sight of the complainer, & it helps if none of your alterations are visible while it's in the holster.

My preferred carry pistol was recently stolen by police during a home invasion (4A civil rights case pending), but it has brightly-colored stickers over each instance of the serial # (to help protect against unwarranted searches) as well as covering the front of the barrel... which would be immediately obvious to whoever it was pointed at.

* Yes, I know the legal term is "complainant". This is more accurate.

1. IMO if a complainant can't see stickers on your gun, then I don't believe it would necessarily affect their credibility enough not to charge (if it was determined through the investigation that they describe you brandishing). People that go through "tramatic" experience can have selective memory.
2. You can't rule out that the "suspect" didn't place those stickers on after the incident (anything in this world is possible).
3. The chances of someone calling the police to mistakenly accuse you of brandishing are so slim, it would not warrant me placing stickers on my beloved guns. Although you are correct, it may add a little something to a defense if they did not completely identify the gun.
4. I thought one of the main arguments for open carrying is to deter criminals from crime (specifically violent crimes against you). I think covering your gun with a bunch of bright colored stickers in order to make it look like a 3rd graders notebook, you might lose that affect.

Police home invasion and they stole your gun? Sounds like a search warrant and legal seizure of the weapon. Hard to take advice from someone who has police hitting their house up with search warrants.. just sayin (maybe your rights were violated, but I am just skeptical until you share further).

Last edited:

epilogue

Good thing I tuck my firearms under my arm when going to-from my front door and driveway.

Someone would have to have a deeply rooted fear of rosewood.

paramedic70002

It sounds more like a "withhold finding of guilty", i.e. Keep your nose clean for a year, and the charges will be dropped. Not that uncommon.

Yep that's what happened.

The Judge made some comment about mixing kids and guns was never a good idea, which I thought was a prelude to getting jacked up, then he dropped the other shoe and kicked me loose.

To be completely fair, I did say something to the kid about his dog, who was in the act of depositing a fecal adornment on my lawn as I walked to my house, but I had the handgun tucked down by my leg and didn't think he saw it. The dog was an ongoing problem but had nothing to do with the timing of my carrying the gun in. I had remembered that it was in the car shortly after I got home from work, and noticed a strange person standing in the road in front of my house after I got out of my uniform. Where I live, on a heavily travelled highway, there is NEVER someone just standing in front of your house. I went out to get it after I had changed into loose sweats that would not support it's weight if I had attempted to tuck it in the waist band.

The Dad was a former Deputy in a nearby city. Later, the landlord got Felony warrants against him after he moved out of state, skipping on rent and leaving the house pretty much demolished inside.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Police home invasion and they stole your gun? Sounds like a search warrant and legal seizure of the weapon. Hard to take advice from someone who has police hitting their house up with search warrants.. just sayin (maybe your rights were violated, but I am just skeptical until you share further).

And he wonders why people automatically dismisses his comments? He has little to NO details of this incident, it didn't happen in a jurisdiction where he is knowledgeable of the local laws, yet automatically speculates that the poster was in the wrong, and implies that they were the 'bad guy'. He gave no credence at all to what the poster said, just automatically ASSumed that they HAD to have broken some law which justified a search and seizure.

Based on a relatively short time on this forum, I think thats a perfect example of the 'issue' many folks have with him... he views everyone as a 'suspect'.... or a person who somehow 'deserved' the treatment a LEO gave them.....

(not sure which icon I should put... the head banger, shocker, cuss, mad, cry... or what... they all could apply. lol)