Thread: OC with Open top holster or add strap for my SP101 3 1/16

OC with Open top holster or add strap for my SP101 3 1/16

I was wondering if I should add a custom strap to my leather holster for my SP101. I love the gun and my D.M. Bullard Dual Carry holster. It fits the gun real tight. I can even invert the holster and the gun does not slip. However, for open carry, should I outfit the holster with a strap for the hammer? I see that the Simply Rugged has one and I was thinking something similar to it for mine.

Banned
    Personally, I wouldn't OC with a pressure retention only holster. I would go with the strap.

Go with a retention strap, something may snag upon the grip of your gun and yank it out of it's holster.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

i agree, better safe than sorry when carryin a gun

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGlock40 View Post
    i agree, better safe than sorry when carryin a gun

lvl 3 police / LEO duty holster

best for OC man

id rather go for a regular level 2 or 3 belt holster over a thigh rig...looks too wanna be swat guy to me..but if it works best for you then go for it

What I have allways read on here no one ever the OC has had a weapon taken from them so why do you worry about an event that will never happen.

Just because it has not happened yet, does not mean it "never" will....

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Most people will tell you to go with a thumb break or some type of retention. Some guys, myself included, choose to carry in an open top. Ultimately, we each have to make the decision for ourselves. There are plenty of threads on the subject of open vs. thumb break already, anyway.

What I'll ask is this: If you have a holster you like, why risk messing it up by trying to add a thumb break? Unless you're an experienced leathersmith, chances are the results wouldn't be spectacular. I'd consider keeping it the way it is and getting a second holster with greater retention. That way you'll have a choice based upon when/where you're going.

Just a thought, probably worth what you paid for it.

Ross Leather hunting holster for a 6" Python. If you ever ride horses, this is what you want. No matter what, the weapon is not falling out, even if you fall off the horse.

IMHO: I would keep the concealed holster as is, and obtain a second holster to fit your open carry requirements perfectly. Maybe not this holster, but something like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ross holster 002.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	5687