• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with Open top holster or add strap for my SP101 3 1/16

VA Big E

I was wondering if I should add a custom strap to my leather holster for my SP101. I love the gun and my D.M. Bullard Dual Carry holster. It fits the gun real tight. I can even invert the holster and the gun does not slip. However, for open carry, should I outfit the holster with a strap for the hammer? I see that the Simply Rugged has one and I was thinking something similar to it for mine.

Mo

Banned
Personally, I wouldn't OC with a pressure retention only holster. I would go with the strap.

CarryHard

i agree, better safe than sorry when carryin a gun

lvl 3 police / LEO duty holster

best for OC man :)
20110414234545994.jpg

JoeGlock40

id rather go for a regular level 2 or 3 belt holster over a thigh rig...looks too wanna be swat guy to me..but if it works best for you then go for it

thnycav

What I have allways read on here no one ever the OC has had a weapon taken from them so why do you worry about an event that will never happen.

cbpeck

Most people will tell you to go with a thumb break or some type of retention. Some guys, myself included, choose to carry in an open top. Ultimately, we each have to make the decision for ourselves. There are plenty of threads on the subject of open vs. thumb break already, anyway.

What I'll ask is this: If you have a holster you like, why risk messing it up by trying to add a thumb break? Unless you're an experienced leathersmith, chances are the results wouldn't be spectacular. I'd consider keeping it the way it is and getting a second holster with greater retention. That way you'll have a choice based upon when/where you're going.

Just a thought, probably worth what you paid for it. :p

hermannr

Ross Leather hunting holster for a 6" Python. If you ever ride horses, this is what you want. No matter what, the weapon is not falling out, even if you fall off the horse.

IMHO: I would keep the concealed holster as is, and obtain a second holster to fit your open carry requirements perfectly. Maybe not this holster, but something like it.

Ross holster 002.jpg