Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BATF to ban tactical shotguns?

BATF to ban tactical shotguns?

I hope you’re not one of those gun owners who said, “They’ll never come for my shotguns.”
    If you are, I’m afraid the rain is about to fall on your parade.
    You see, the ATF is coming for your shotguns … with a vengeance.
    Continued at -

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/ale...ical-shotguns/

Banned
    they are trying to open up the field here, and attack rifles and handguns that dont "fit" later. A slippery slope

A gun dealer told me that other dealers are buying up all the saiga shotguns so they can jack the prices up later because of this.

The webpage sees to be short on details, and long on advertisements to sell a book. Does anyone have any information that isn't quite so self-serving?

have an ATF and state of michigan legal sawed off side by side 12 guage i named 'mary kate and ashley'..if trhey have a problem with tactical shotguns they REALLY are going to have a problem with that..i had to register it as a handgun in mich..wonder if that matters

Funny, I can use my 20" barreled 'tactical' shotgun for hunting, provided I throw a scope on it, take the flashlight off, and put in a wooden plug. All of that would take about 10 minutes of modification.

Been meaning to do that too, now that I mention it; haven't hunted in years. I imagine even my tactical shotgun could throw a rifled slug 50 yards with relatively good accuracy.

If not, well; I just happened to have this tragic boating accident...
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Make no mistake: This ban will affect hundreds of gun makers who produce shotguns that are currently in use not only by law enforcement and the military in the United States but also home owners who simply want an effective home defense shotgun.
    Or for use as defense against a rogue government. But then the BATF probably doesn't think the people should ever have such a need.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    Funny, I can use my 20" barreled 'tactical' shotgun for hunting, provided I throw a scope on it, take the flashlight off, and put in a wooden plug. All of that would take about 10 minutes of modification.

Been meaning to do that too, now that I mention it; haven't hunted in years. I imagine even my tactical shotgun could throw a rifled slug 50 yards with relatively good accuracy.

If not, well; I just happened to have this tragic boating accident...
    Why the scope?... I didn't know a scope was a legal requirement. (I understand the plug and the light, though.)
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    This has been in the works for a long time.
    http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6413

ATF wants to limit shotguns to only those having a legitimate sporting purpose - note to self, must reread the 2A to find those words.

Don't see this going anywhere unless we fall completely asleep.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    The webpage sees to be short on details, and long on advertisements to sell a book. Does anyone have any information that isn't quite so self-serving?
    Sorry about that, I was on my way out the door when I seen this.. I will search about and find something that's not a sales ad for a book.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Why the scope?... I didn't know a scope was a legal requirement. (I understand the plug and the light, though.)
    Bead sight. No law stating I need a scope, but I actually would like to attempt to hit my target with good accuracy, not just relative accuracy.

I've actually been looking for a reflex sight that's affordable and will stand up to a shotgun blast. Truth be told, I think that'd be ultimate badass.
    Last edited by malignity; 04-03-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Banned
    Why all the hubbub? Its the same shell stuck in the same pipe, it just has stuff bolted and welded to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    have an ATF and state of michigan legal sawed off side by side 12 guage i named 'mary kate and ashley'..if trhey have a problem with tactical shotguns they REALLY are going to have a problem with that..i had to register it as a handgun in mich..wonder if that matters
    i want one. where could i go and get one already made?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricianLU58 View Post
    i want one. where could i go and get one already made?

These are all NFA Weapons and require a Federal Form 3 or 4 Transfer.

http://www.hatchergun.com/sbs.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Now THAT'S an Open Carry!!

the ones with the working hammers are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I hope you’re not one of those gun owners who said, “They’ll never come for my shotguns.”
    If you are, I’m afraid the rain is about to fall on your parade.
    You see, the ATF is coming for your shotguns … with a vengeance.
    Continued at -

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/ale...ical-shotguns/
    Obama already banned importation of 1 million used M1 Garands from S Korea,the kind you can buy from CMP (civilian marksmanship program) cheap!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Banned
    That was pointless. Not exactly the go-to gun for criminals, just a solid, reliable, accurate shooter.

Exclamation

The folks from Ohio have provided info here - http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7744 - plus links to the ATF report stating "sporting purpose " as hunting,trap and skeet as the only criteria for importing shotguns!And a link for public comments to prevent Obama from getting his way!PASS IT ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

I have been obsessed with weapons since I was a little kid. I have one definate favorite firearm, the Saiga 12. I had to sell mine last summer due to hard financial times, and to not be able to replace it when i'm able to afford one (plus parts and conversion work) would be beyond dissapointing. Hell if I could only own one gun and made it a sentimental rather than practical choice, it would be a S-12. They're supposed to make the decision around May 1 I think. Even if these become a destructive device and cost 1200. for a stock NIB model, I have to have one. There is no substitute for it, my favorite gun ever. I'm seriously worried about these getting import halted or worse become DDs.

I'm a Kalashnikov guy, gotta replace an AK and get a PSL too, I also like Glock and Ruger handguns, need a 1911 too maybe the Remington R1 or the new Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Sweeper View Post
    I have been obsessed with weapons since I was a little kid. I have one definate favorite firearm, the Saiga 12. I had to sell mine last summer due to hard financial times, and to not be able to replace it when i'm able to afford one (plus parts and conversion work) would be beyond dissapointing. Hell if I could only own one gun and made it a sentimental rather than practical choice, it would be a S-12. They're supposed to make the decision around May 1 I think. Even if these become a destructive device and cost 1200. for a stock NIB model, I have to have one. There is no substitute for it, my favorite gun ever. I'm seriously worried about these getting import halted or worse become DDs.

I'm a Kalashnikov guy, gotta replace an AK and get a PSL too, I also like Glock and Ruger handguns, need a 1911 too maybe the Remington R1 or the new Ruger.
    A family member has the s-12. I told them to never get rid of it because I will take it off their hands if they ever plan to.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I've been looking to purchase two Saiga 12's. Can't find them.
    Last edited by dfox; 04-23-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Dave
    http://www.survivalfox.com/
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom". - John F. Kennedy, former U.S. President

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Heres the link to the actual study. Interesting read. Plinking is not a sport.

There is talk that the "sporting purpose" is unconstitutional after the Heller decision.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/fire...n-shotguns.pdf

This whole Gun Control act needs to be destroyed.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    what a waste of my tax money

the second amendment renders any argument about "sporting purposes" null and void. at one point they reference "low light". is it not ok for me to defend myself at night in a low light situation?
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 04-26-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dfox View Post
    I've been looking to purchase two Saiga 12's. Can't find them.
    I'm hoping that we'll end up with US makers building from scratch S-12's. As quality control goes, Russia is pretty horrible. I helped with one S-12 conversion, and I'm impressed by the design and oh dear God are they fun to shoot, but sheesh they need some higher standards of production.

If we could get them made in the USA, coming standard with goodies like straight in and out magazine changes including with drums, suppressors, last shot bolt hold open and interchangeable barrels, with no need to ever consider converting anything, it'd be well worth it to spend 1,200 plus on them, and they'd sell a lot. For such an efficient system which should cost so little to make, you'd think that folks like Tromix would have been building their own complete guns for a long time now.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, USA
    Not sure if you can order them but I think that Red Jacket Firearms builds their own Saiga shotguns. They are the shop that is on History channel "Sons of Guns".

www.redjacketfirearms.com
    "Reason can never be popular. Passions and feelings can become popular, but reason will always remain the sole property of a few eminent individuals."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast