• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BATF to ban tactical shotguns?

stainless1911

Banned
they are trying to open up the field here, and attack rifles and handguns that dont "fit" later. A slippery slope

A gun dealer told me that other dealers are buying up all the saiga shotguns so they can jack the prices up later because of this.

kcgunfan

The webpage sees to be short on details, and long on advertisements to sell a book. Does anyone have any information that isn't quite so self-serving?

kryptonian

have an ATF and state of michigan legal sawed off side by side 12 guage i named 'mary kate and ashley'..if trhey have a problem with tactical shotguns they REALLY are going to have a problem with that..i had to register it as a handgun in mich..wonder if that matters

malignity

Funny, I can use my 20" barreled 'tactical' shotgun for hunting, provided I throw a scope on it, take the flashlight off, and put in a wooden plug. All of that would take about 10 minutes of modification.

Been meaning to do that too, now that I mention it; haven't hunted in years. I imagine even my tactical shotgun could throw a rifled slug 50 yards with relatively good accuracy.

If not, well; I just happened to have this tragic boating accident...

CoonDog

Make no mistake: This ban will affect hundreds of gun makers who produce shotguns that are currently in use not only by law enforcement and the military in the United States but also home owners who simply want an effective home defense shotgun.
Or for use as defense against a rogue government. But then the BATF probably doesn't think the people should ever have such a need.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Funny, I can use my 20" barreled 'tactical' shotgun for hunting, provided I throw a scope on it, take the flashlight off, and put in a wooden plug. All of that would take about 10 minutes of modification.

Been meaning to do that too, now that I mention it; haven't hunted in years. I imagine even my tactical shotgun could throw a rifled slug 50 yards with relatively good accuracy.

If not, well; I just happened to have this tragic boating accident...

Why the scope?... I didn't know a scope was a legal requirement. (I understand the plug and the light, though.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This has been in the works for a long time.
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=6413

ATF wants to limit shotguns to only those having a legitimate sporting purpose - note to self, must reread the 2A to find those words.

Don't see this going anywhere unless we fall completely asleep.

steve

The webpage sees to be short on details, and long on advertisements to sell a book. Does anyone have any information that isn't quite so self-serving?

Sorry about that, I was on my way out the door when I seen this.. I will search about and find something that's not a sales ad for a book.

malignity

Why the scope?... I didn't know a scope was a legal requirement. (I understand the plug and the light, though.)

Bead sight. No law stating I need a scope, but I actually would like to attempt to hit my target with good accuracy, not just relative accuracy. :D

I've actually been looking for a reflex sight that's affordable and will stand up to a shotgun blast. Truth be told, I think that'd be ultimate badass.

Last edited:

ElectricianLU58

have an ATF and state of michigan legal sawed off side by side 12 guage i named 'mary kate and ashley'..if trhey have a problem with tactical shotguns they REALLY are going to have a problem with that..i had to register it as a handgun in mich..wonder if that matters

i want one. where could i go and get one already made?

Badger Johnson

Now THAT'S an Open Carry!!

Holster_1.JPG

Haman J.T.

I hope you’re not one of those gun owners who said, “They’ll never come for my shotguns.”
If you are, I’m afraid the rain is about to fall on your parade.
You see, the ATF is coming for your shotguns … with a vengeance.
Continued at -

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/alert-atf-to-ban-tactical-shotguns/
Obama already banned importation of 1 million used M1 Garands from S Korea,the kind you can buy from CMP (civilian marksmanship program) cheap!

Haman J.T.

The folks from Ohio have provided info here - http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7744 - plus links to the ATF report stating "sporting purpose " as hunting,trap and skeet as the only criteria for importing shotguns!And a link for public comments to prevent Obama from getting his way!PASS IT ON!

Steppe Sweeper

I have been obsessed with weapons since I was a little kid. I have one definate favorite firearm, the Saiga 12. I had to sell mine last summer due to hard financial times, and to not be able to replace it when i'm able to afford one (plus parts and conversion work) would be beyond dissapointing. Hell if I could only own one gun and made it a sentimental rather than practical choice, it would be a S-12. They're supposed to make the decision around May 1 I think. Even if these become a destructive device and cost 1200. for a stock NIB model, I have to have one. There is no substitute for it, my favorite gun ever. I'm seriously worried about these getting import halted or worse become DDs.

I'm a Kalashnikov guy, gotta replace an AK and get a PSL too, I also like Glock and Ruger handguns, need a 1911 too maybe the Remington R1 or the new Ruger.

xmanhockey7

I have been obsessed with weapons since I was a little kid. I have one definate favorite firearm, the Saiga 12. I had to sell mine last summer due to hard financial times, and to not be able to replace it when i'm able to afford one (plus parts and conversion work) would be beyond dissapointing. Hell if I could only own one gun and made it a sentimental rather than practical choice, it would be a S-12. They're supposed to make the decision around May 1 I think. Even if these become a destructive device and cost 1200. for a stock NIB model, I have to have one. There is no substitute for it, my favorite gun ever. I'm seriously worried about these getting import halted or worse become DDs.

I'm a Kalashnikov guy, gotta replace an AK and get a PSL too, I also like Glock and Ruger handguns, need a 1911 too maybe the Remington R1 or the new Ruger.

A family member has the s-12. I told them to never get rid of it because I will take it off their hands if they ever plan to.