• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a court case

stuckinchico

Im looking for the court case that states that just because it is unusual does not mean that it meets the requirements for suspicious behavior. I know it exists however im having a hard time finding it. I need it to give to a department that keeps stopping me for going for my midnight runs

Ca Patriot

I know there is a US supreme court case Illinois vs Wardlow . The ruling that running from police in and of itself is NOT reason for a stop.

I know what you mean about late night jogging. I used to work odd hours and i was also a triathlete. Whenever I went for a run or a bike past 11pm I would be stopped. I think in 3 years I was probably stopped about 15 times.

They would often ask me "do you have any drugs or guns on you" ? They would ask me this when I was wearing skin tight spandex racing clothes. It got kind of annoying.

stuckinchico

LMAO I would grab my junk and say that this is the only weapon im packing Small but effective haha probably wouldt go over well .......... Thats not the case im looking for ... Im in a state were if you dont give a name they charge you with loitering... its a broad strech but they do it im trying to change that

Last edited:

A ECNALG

Im looking for the court case that states that just because it is unusual does not mean that it meets the requirements for suspicious behavior. I know it exists however im having a hard time finding it. I need it to give to a department that keeps stopping me for going for my midnight runs

Well, in relation to lawfully, openly carried firearms, you could look to United States v. Ubiles, 224 F.3d 213 (3rd Cir. 2000) and United States v. King, 990 F.2d 1552 (10th Cir. 1993).

Both cases deal with lawfully possessed firearms neither justifying a search or seizure, nor creating a sufficient basis for reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

Is this what you are looking for?

sudden valley gunner

Are you looking for state specific or Federal cases shouldn't be too hard to find. I have found several in Washington that there has to be RAS to justify a detention. Don't have the names off the top of my head but if you search California I am pretty sure you will find something similar.

I even found a prosecutors checklist in one county in a memo to LEO, on what would count as "suspicious" behavior and it is pretty restrictive.

To me it sounds like they are just fishing, next time just politely ask them to Articulate their Reasonable Suspicion you were engaged in unlawful activity. If they say "blah, blah, blah," and none of it is illegal you simply tell them that isn't illegal and that you'll be on your way.

sudden valley gunner

LMAO I would grab my junk and say that this is the only weapon im packing Small but effective haha probably wouldt go over well .......... Thats not the case im looking for ... Im in a state were if you dont give a name they charge you with loitering... its a broad strech but they do it im trying to change that

Loitering isn't a crime, SCOTUS has ruled on this.

Chicago v. Morales, 97-1121

markm

HIIBEL v. SIXTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT OF NEVADA

Hey StuckinChico,

Hiibel v. Nevada is a good case. Defendent Hiibel lost his appeal because the police did have Reasonable Articulable Suspicion (RAS) that a crime was afoot. SCOTUS made it clear in Hiibel, that in order for a "Stop and ID" statute to be Constitutional, police must first have a legitimate reason for a "Terry Hot Stop" (Terry v. Ohio).

Kolender v. Lawson is a very good case because it pretty much requires the cops to have PC or RAS to detain and then require ID from a person who is "loitering or walking". In Kali, PC 148 only requires an ID if the cop has PC for arrest, not RAS for detention.

From Hiibel v. Nevada:

"Petitioner Hiibel was arrested and convicted in a Nevada court for refusing to identify himself to a police officer during an investigative stop involving a reported assault. Nevada’s “stop and identify” statute requires a person detained by an officer under suspicious circumstances to identify himself. The state intermediate appellate court affirmed, rejecting Hiibel’s argument that the state law’s application to his case violated the Fourth and Fifth Amendments. The Nevada Supreme Court affirmed. (underline and blue font added by me)"

From Kolender v. Lawson:

"Lawson then brought a civil action in the District Court for the Southern District of California seeking a declaratory judgment that 647(e) is unconstitutional, a mandatory injunction to restrain enforcement of the statute, and compensatory and punitive damages against the various officers who detained him. The District Court found that 647(e) was overbroad because "a person who is stopped on less than probable cause cannot be punished for failing to identify himself." App. to Juris. Statement A-78. The District Court enjoined enforcement of the statute, but held that Lawson could not recover damages because the officers involved acted in the good-faith belief that each detention or arrest was lawful. (Blue font and underline added by me)"

markm

Last edited:

Lawful Aim

This site may be of assistance for future reference;
http://www.plol.org/Pages/Search.aspx

I entered "unreasonable stop" in to the search bar and after a moment a gazzillion hits came back with plenty of them being good for reference to this particular topic.

Last edited: