• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A very nasty encounter in Ranier Valley today, and a suprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

triehl27

This afternoon I stopped to fill the truck and while I was doing that three youths 15-18years old aproached and demanded money, asked first, then produced a knife, screw driver and a mini bat and demanded the second time.

I was on the far side of the truck with a locked passenger door. So I backed up out into a more open area behind the truck. The three did not back down even after I told them no, and my 1911 was clear on my hip. I was fully aware that I might be able to hit one of the three before the others got to me in a charge, but that if I drew it would escalate the situation to violence for sure. They just kept demanding and making threats about how if I didn't give um money they'd burn me down. About that time I saw two black males clearly gang members with the Crips blue flags flying (we know them as bandannas sticking out of pockets) came towards the altercation from the resturant across the lot, yelling at the teens.
These two black males were the ideal model of gang bangers, every social fear you have these two men set off. These were the guys you crossed the street to step away from because they just exude "danger" "Don't **** with us" I honestly would never have made eye contact in another situation with these guys. They were the epitome of Dangerous Gang Bangers

Upon reaching me they stated "if you gonna throw down with him you little bleeps, you is throwing down with us too" The game had changed. Instead of a easy 3 on 1 intimidation scheme now it was 3 on 3, and two of the opposition were flying colors.

The three teens backed down, and left... fast.

I turned and thanked them for their intervention and even offered to by their lunch since it had clearly gotten cold sitting on their Explorer. "Nah man, we gots to take off, we ain't spose to be dis far north, them N'S gonna run get thems some burners or a slug a D-Dubs and be back here, so we gonna take off. Been enough lights in this hood dis week. You Ok? You need direction outta here? Not gonna be a place to stay round in a few minutes so you gonna want to be on your way"

I thanked them again. "No problem man, we figged you was 5-0 til you didn't burn um down on the spot, then Big E here noticed you ain't carrying a cop burner and you ain't trying to kill um, so we figured you was cool. Have a good day man, and make sure you clear out, cause they gonna be back and this be D-Dub turf right here"

I got in my truck, and left, cleared outta the valley and called 911. They would send a patrol car through the area, and have an officer contact me if they found them.

LESSONS.

1. I almost got trapped between the pump and truck.
2. If I had drawn it would have escalated to a bloody fight.
3. with 3 on 1 odds, I am not even 50% sure I would have won.
4. With how close they were to me, I would have only hit one on the draw. If the others charged they'd have had me.
5. The firearm even holstered kept them from attacking outright. Unarmed I would have been beaten, stabbed and possibly killed.
6. I would have NEVER expected my help to come from 2 very obviously gang affiliated men. I might have expected to be robbed by um, or offered drugs, but NOT backed up by um.
7. If I had done anything else such as reach for my phone, it would have escalated the situation to violence.
8. Because the attendant is locked in a booth that only looks forward he didn't see the confrontation unless he was watching the CCTV monitor.
9. I should have had my door unlocked.
10. My Kimber made the difference between a delayed stand-off and an outright mugging. But had I employed it I would have sparked to match to the situation.

Again, I was astonished where my help came from. There was nothing in it for these guys other then the possibility of getting hurt on my behalf. This wasn't their turf so they didn't have claim over it. They just helped because I was there and in need of help. And they were about as unexpected a source of help as if batman swooped it I wouldn't have been more surprised.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Just to keep things on the up and up, you have a name, time and location for this report to 911, FOIA works wonders on verifying information.
And they do provide audio for calls to 911.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Just to keep things on the up and up, you have a name, time and location for this report to 911, FOIA works wonders on verifying information.
And they do provide audio for calls to 911.

After the OPers comments about racism yesterday, I can't help wonder if that post is a set-up post to fish for racist or racist-leaning commentary.

Probably not. But, the thought occurs.

amzbrady

triehl27, what is it you teach women???

I think you should probably take some lessons on paying attention to your environment, and possibly some quick draw and speed shooting wouldnt hurt either.

Kudo's on your amazingly remarkable memory, and being able to recite in boobonics everything that was said during a highly intense situation.

Just a hint, this is a messed up world we live in and you should never let your guard down. Just an opinion.

HandyHamlet

Why does it take a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye?

p.s. Thank the gods two men came to the aid of an armed citizen. A 1911 is no match for, or a deterrent of, a screw driver attack. No matter how much training one has...

Last edited:

Johnsmith1521

Me personally, I would of shot the little bastards the minute a weapon that can produce bodily harm was pulled out... Chances are, if you shot one the other two would of ran... With what have seen in my life, gang bangers are just wannabes cowards... They are just trash and lets face it, trash needs to be taken out from time to time... If they were ready to harm you, why give them the chance when you have a 1911 on your hip?

OrangeIsTrouble

Welcome to the valley, my gf lives in the columbia city area.

Suwhooooooops and yelling and loud sounds every night.

All of my lecturing and finally a brutal robbery on her mothers friend last month and she now says she wants to carry a gun.

Been long overdue for a trip to the outdoor forest pit.

HK_dave

move to the back of the truck to draw them that direction.

move to and beyond front of truck to draw them between truck and gas pump.

draw and shoot pump nozzle.

BOOM.

3 perps down.

it's only a truck, right?

M

McX

glad to hear you got out of there ok. close call to be sure. surprising how one gang came to aid you in a confrontation with another gang. would have never thought of, or expected that. sad to hear your area is getting bad, i thought it was unique to us. any way, a song that i take my credo from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY1-PQavDbw

i see it all crystal clear, so i keep my pistol near, heart's never full of fear, homey i stay well aware; of what's going on around me, m*****er f****s want me dead, go with a smile on my face, finish my time here.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

6. I would have NEVER expected my help to come from 2 very obviously gang affiliated men. I might have expected to be robbed by um, or offered drugs, but NOT backed up by um.
Glad your ok and definitely glad you had your gun on you. I'm surprised they would even approach you if you were open carrying do you think they saw it? Gangsters definitely live by a different code but your encounter dose not surprise me 100%. Depending on the gangs own values and code system some will stand up for people they feel are being bullied. I would never advocate trying to depend on such a unpredictable set of people for help but working in the prison systems as a EMT I have had some very interesting conversations on there command structures and there value systems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

fire suppressor

Me personally, I would of shot the little bastards the minute a weapon that can produce bodily harm was pulled out... Chances are, if you shot one the other two would of ran... With what have seen in my life, gang bangers are just wannabes cowards... They are just trash
Thanks for sharing with us your personal option on gangsters witch we never asked for. This is a open carry forum not a insulting forum were you can just talk trash about anyone because you feel like it or do not agree with there life style. That's really not what this site was intended for and I do not feel that is the image we want associated with open carry advocates.

sudden valley gunner

Glad everything is and everyone is OK. Bet your heart was pumping and adrenaline running a little fast. I have met Triehl27 and have no reason to doubt his story.

I grew up around violence and understand it, it is rarely random. It could be the 3 aggressors saw your pistol from the beginning, I believe and I could be wrong that they started the confrontation and then being 3 guys continued it not to look weak to each other after they saw the pistol.

I am not surprised at the help, gang members are humans too and will have the natural instinct to look after people. You weren't an enemy combatant (another gang or cop) and they respected you as a man, and respected you were carrying. They also respected your actions in not immediately using force to resolve the situation.

I don't see it as a fail on your part just wrong time wrong place, we can't foresee and prepare for every single event or possibility.

Again glad you are OK, and glad you were still willing to share with us.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

triehl27,
Just a hint, this is a messed up world we live in and you should never let your guard down. Just an opinion.
Seems like more and more people on this forum are getting quicker and quicker at judging one and other. None of us where there so instead of criticising each other maybe once and a while we should just say good job. No guns where drawn, no one got hurt and one of own dose not have to deal with the mental trauma that comes with taking a life. End of the day everyone got to go home sounds like the best possible outcome. Good job

Johnsmith1521

Seems like more and more people on this forum are getting quicker and quicker at judging one and other. None of us where there so instead of criticising each other maybe once and a while we should just say good job. No guns where drawn, no one got hurt and one of own dose not have to deal with the mental trauma that comes with taking a life. End of the day everyone got to go home sounds like the best possible outcome. Good job

I'm not judging anyone... Forums are for opinions... So no offense, don't get all high and might on me or anyone else is this forum... Thanks and have a nice day...

Jeff Hayes

Pics or a 911 report or it did not happen

Where, when, what time.

I am kinda confused, if you are a firearms instructor why would you allow the 3 bad guys to control the situation, a knife, a bat and a screw driver are all deadly weapons. Gang bangers are not stupid every gas station has security cameras. I am having a bad time believing your story, the gang bangers asked, then threatened and then just talked to you until someone across the street noticed what was going on and then came across the street. Its really hard to see whats going on in a gas station from acrosss the street, cars, pumps, people moving about the cars and pumps. Lots wrong with this story.

I can tell you this if someone threatens me with a knife at anything under 21 feet in a siutuation like you describe they are going to get themselves shot.

amlevin

Whenever I have to travel through Rainier Valley I make sure I DON'T have to stop for gas, or anything else for that matter.

Some places just bear staying away from.

BTW, what happened to your "situational awareness" that allowed these three to approach that close and you without a "plan"?

Status
Not open for further replies.