• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Many Of You OC At School.

Open Carry In Schools

• No Guns In School, Despite The Law

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EM87

I don't OC at K-12 schools (unless I'm visiting Autosurgeon in Coloma!) because I don't have a 100% grasp on the laws that concern K-12 school carry. Once I take the time to learn the important points and memorize the laws, I would OC at a K-12 school if I had business there. However, I never have any business at K-12 schools so you probably won't see me at one.

As for college campus carry, I would definitely, without a doubt, OC at my university if it weren't for the fact that they would expel me. (I'm only one month from graduation!) I would actually feel more comfortable CCing at my university though, and before you all jump down my throat, let me explain why. Yes, OC deters criminals. Most criminals. The kind of criminals that want your money or your fancy watch. Those are, say, 99.9% of the criminals out there. However, much of the reason I would choose to carry on a college campus is be be able to defend myself from a campus shooter. If the campus shooter is there for the sole purpose of killing as many people as he can, I feel that the argument of "you'll be shot first" does actually apply in this case. Don't get me wrong - I usually call BS on that argument too, in 99.9% of the situations we may encounter, but when someone wants to kill as many people as possible, it does make sense that they will shoot you before shooting others because you are more of a threat.

In conclusion to this post (which turned out longer than I intended), yes, I would OC at a K-12 school, and yes, I would OC on a college campus as well as CC in the classrooms if it were legal and not against the college's rules for me to do so.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
to be quit honest, i'm too nervous to try it at this point in time. mainly, due to the fact that i have sole custody of my daughter and i'm worried that something like that could jeopardize it. it's very clear that judges seem to think it's against the law. if someone gets busted and subsequently cleared of charges, i'd be much more likely to do it in the future. or if the CADL decision ends up in our favor and we end up getting the judge, on record, to state something about school OC being legal.

stainless1911

Banned
That's a respectable position. I would take that as an "I would if I could" answer. Im trying to help free up our freedoms by doing what Im doing, so that its easier for everyone. This could also be a benefit in CADL as well.

kubel

I was accused of being the only one who OCed at schools.

That's a false accusation. I OC'ed while voting at Brick Elementary School in Augusta Twp, MI. :)

But I wouldn't just show up at a school just to OC. That's kind of silly.

My philosophy on carrying (CC or OC) - Be armed where ever you go. Don't go somewhere because you are armed.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

I dont just go anywhere to carry. I OC everywhere, all day, even in my home. Truth be told, I dont take it off while I sleep, but I do take the round out of the chamber.

How the heck do you sleep with a 1911 on your hip. My Glock is under my pillow but I can't imagine sleeping with it, heck I don't like laying in bed watching TV with it on my hip, I also don't like wearing my pants while I sleep so I suppose that would be another reason why I couldn't imagine it lol.

stainless1911

Banned
I carry in a thigh rig, slides to the front very easily which just tucks it out of the way. I've seen to much in this neighborhood to risk looking for it when half asleep. You know what its like when you are awakened, and not sure for a sec which way is left or right. If the place caught on fire, its time to leave, not to look for the gun before I go. Trailers go up really fast. The last thing I want to do, is to be left without a place to live, and no gun.

Scooter

I have OC'd at a grade school and on the property of a high school. If I am at a school again, I will do so again.
(no issues either time)

Harry25

Once I get my CPL, I'd have no problem doing so.

I'm currently at Macomb Community College OCing an empty holster as part of SCCC's empty holster protest. I've had a few people ask questions, and have been able to talk to them about it, and they seemed receptive to the idea.

Oh, and I've also had the same campus police officer drive past me three times on the walk to the financial aid office. :)

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: