• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reply From Kohl Regarding Joyce Foundation Agenda

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Is he for restrictions or against? I can't figure it out. Send him an inquiry & see if you get the same answer. Notice how he has no problem with "owning guns." To me, it says that the antis are going to focus on ammo and accessory (like magazine) restrictions. Look for scopes to be next on banned list.

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=729

Kohl's reply to me:

"Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me about high capacity magazines. I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 17, 2011, the Senate passed S. 223, the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act by a vote of 87 to 8. This bill, which would strengthen the aviation industry and modernize our air traffic control system, did not include an amendment banning the sale of high capacity magazines.

In 1994, Congress prohibited high-capacity magazines as part of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. The ban expired in 2004. While lawmakers have pushed to renew the ban several times since, they are doubling their efforts to ban high-capacity magazines in light of the recent tragedy in Tucson. Jared Loughner used a high-capacity 30-round magazine in the Tucson shooting, which allowed him to fire 30 bullets without having to manually reload.

Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), a longtime vocal advocate for gun control issues, introduced H.R. 308, the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act on January 18, 2011. This bill would prohibit the transfer, possession, or import of large capacity ammunition feeding devices (defined as those carrying more than 10 rounds at a time) that are manufactured after the bill is enacted. It would also prohibit the transfer of the devices that were manufactured before the bill is enacted. This bill would exempt law enforcement officers, both active and retired. H.R. 308 has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) introduced an identical measure, S.32, on January 25, 2011. S. 32 was referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member. I will keep your thoughts in mind should the Senate vote on either of these two bills.

I believe that the right of law abiding Americans to own guns should be protected. In the past, the Senate has considered a variety of gun safety measures. I carefully evaluate each proposal, and I only support gun control legislation that adheres to two important principles: First, I do not believe we should place unnecessary burdens on law-abiding citizens' Second Amendment right to lawfully acquire, possess, or use firearms for hunting, trapshooting, target shooting or any other lawful activity. Second, I only support proposals that I believe will unquestionably make our communities safer.

Again, thank you for contacting me and please do not hesitate to do so in the future."

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

That sounds to me like he is secretly anti gun, but is trying to do the politician shuffle to get your support. All of the anti's say that what they are doing is to make our communities safer. Notice, he failed to say anything about the right of self defense in there, he just put the qualifier "Any lawful purpose" as if to say if self defense is outlawed he would support that measure.

Just my thoughts. :dude:

Captain Nemo

Kohl was the chief sponsor of the federal GFSZ act. That should answer any questions. Bill S2070 in 1990. In fact he exceeded the powers of the federal goverment to do so.

Last edited:

phred

That sounds to me like he is secretly anti gun, but is trying to do the politician shuffle to get your support. All of the anti's say that what they are doing is to make our communities safer. Notice, he failed to say anything about the right of self defense in there, he just put the qualifier "Any lawful purpose" as if to say if self defense is outlawed he would support that measure.

Second, I only support proposals that I believe will unquestionably make our communities safer.

Yeah, safer for the criminals! :banghead:

Last edited:

AaronS

I agree with you 150%.

Any person that is willing to stand up for our basic rights will come out and say it. If you are pro-rights, you have no need to do any "politician shuffle" stuff.
So I have to say that he has no real want to see our rights returned to us. I say he should stick to selling milk. I think he is good at that.

XDFDE45

He's talking out both sides of his mouth on this as most politicians do. One side says "I'm all for supporting the rights of gun owners" and the other side is saying "We are going to try and ban high cap mags again". And like protias said DO NOT trust the guy who introduced the GFSZ.

anmut

Is he for restrictions or against? I can't figure it out. Send him an inquiry & see if you get the same answer. Notice how he has no problem with "owning guns." To me, it says that the antis are going to focus on ammo and accessory (like magazine) restrictions. Look for scopes to be next on banned list.

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=729

Kohl's reply to me:

"Dear Mr. XXX:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me about high capacity magazines. I appreciate hearing from you.

On February 17, 2011, the Senate passed S. 223, the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act by a vote of 87 to 8. This bill, which would strengthen the aviation industry and modernize our air traffic control system, did not include an amendment banning the sale of high capacity magazines.

In 1994, Congress prohibited high-capacity magazines as part of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. The ban expired in 2004. While lawmakers have pushed to renew the ban several times since, they are doubling their efforts to ban high-capacity magazines in light of the recent tragedy in Tucson. Jared Loughner used a high-capacity 30-round magazine in the Tucson shooting, which allowed him to fire 30 bullets without having to manually reload.

Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), a longtime vocal advocate for gun control issues, introduced H.R. 308, the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act on January 18, 2011. This bill would prohibit the transfer, possession, or import of large capacity ammunition feeding devices (defined as those carrying more than 10 rounds at a time) that are manufactured after the bill is enacted. It would also prohibit the transfer of the devices that were manufactured before the bill is enacted. This bill would exempt law enforcement officers, both active and retired. H.R. 308 has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) introduced an identical measure, S.32, on January 25, 2011. S. 32 was referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member. I will keep your thoughts in mind should the Senate vote on either of these two bills.

I believe that the right of law abiding Americans to own guns should be protected. In the past, the Senate has considered a variety of gun safety measures. I carefully evaluate each proposal, and I only support gun control legislation that adheres to two important principles: First, I do not believe we should place unnecessary burdens on law-abiding citizens' Second Amendment right to lawfully acquire, possess, or use firearms for hunting, trapshooting, target shooting or any other lawful activity. Second, I only support proposals that I believe will unquestionably make our communities safer.

Again, thank you for contacting me and please do not hesitate to do so in the future."

He's anti gun. I love how he says "he only supports xxxxx because 'he believes."

Someone needs to remind that a55hat that it's not up to him, he is a REPRESENTATIVE FOR US.

oliverclotheshoff

He's talking out both sides of his mouth on this as most politicians do. One side says "I'm all for supporting the rights of gun owners" and the other side is saying "We are going to try and ban high cap mags again". And like protias said DO NOT trust the guy who introduced the GFSZ.

+1000

LR Yote 312

Someone got a reply from Kohl ?

Here,I thought the man hadnt found a place to tip over yet.
He's only been in rigor for the last 20 years.

LR Yote

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Political lip service, that is all Kohls reply was, he wrote back to appease you, but danced right around all of your questions and concerns.

I see this as him siding with Lautenberg, bloomberg. and all the other anti-rights "bergs" politicians.
If you drop your keys around Kohl, I would be careful bending over to pick them up around him, because he probably doesn't have the decency to give you a reach around when he screws you and your rights.

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
"First, I do not believe we should place unnecessary burdens on law-abiding citizens' Second Amendment right to lawfully acquire, possess, or use firearms for hunting, trapshooting, target shooting or any other lawful activity."

I have had a belly full of patronizing, self-serving politicians who can't be bothered with reading our constitution and learning the 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting, trapshooting or target shooting.

"Second, I only support proposals that I believe will unquestionably make our communities safer."

This excuse for a Senator is intentionally ignorant, a bald-faced liar, or both. A 2004 study by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and a 2007 study by the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy both failed to find a reduction of crime or violence that is attributable to firearms laws. At no time have the anti's ever proven that gun control reduces crime. Yet they cry they only want "common sense gun laws". Common sense, like common courtesy.....is not common.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Kohl is so anti gun it's really not even funny & Kohl being the kool aid drinking liberal Billionaire that he is he could care less what his gun owning constituency thinks or says. He is not up for reelection until 2017 so he thinks.....screw the gun rights supporters. They can't hurt me at all. Did you read what he left out from his list of reasons it's ok to own a gun....yup..self defense was not there.

Now Herb Kohl is Jewish & most Jewish people I have spoken to in the past on the gun control issue are 150 % against any gun control because they know all to well what happens when a people are disarmed and unable to defend themselves from a totalitarian government.... yes, i am talking about Nazi Germany. So Senator Kohls anti gun political views make me scratch my head in disbelief. .

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Kohl is so anti gun it's really not even funny & Kohl being the kool aid drinking liberal Billionaire that he is he could care less what his gun owning constituency thinks or says. He is not up for reelection until 2017 so he thinks.....screw the gun rights supporters. They can't hurt me at all. Did you read what he left out from his list of reasons it's ok to own a gun....yup..self defense was not there.

Now Herb Kohl is Jewish & most Jewish people I have spoken to in the past on the gun control issue are 150 % against any gun control because they know all to well what happens when a people are disarmed and unable to defend themselves from a totalitarian government.... yes, i am talking about Nazi Germany. So Seantor Kohls anti gun political views make me scratch my head in disbelief. .

Too bad he doesn't appreciate the obligations and struggles of the Jewish people throughout history.

http://jpfo.org/rabbi/rabbi-bloomberg-letter.htm

Last edited:

cudahogs

Take a look at the last two supreme court justices that he approved. Then look at how both Sotomayer (the wise Latina) and Kagen answered questions regarding the 2nd amendment. You'll see strange similarities in their answers and his letter. If you think Sotomayer and Kagan are pro RKBA, then so is Kohl.
-Fred

Krusty

Second, I only support proposals that I believe will unquestionably make our communities safer.

I think he's talking about such BS as the GFSZ that HE pushed into law. It's obvious that his opinion of "safer" and mine, come from two different books! A leopard cannot and does not change its spots!

jrclen

Senator Kohl is extremely anti gun and anti 2nd Amendment. He voted with the Clinton gun control legislation every time. And Kohl introduced the gun free school zone legislation as was mentioned. The original language by Kohl would have prohibited anyone living in a zone from owning a firearm. But that language was removed due to the certainty of it failing constitutional muster.

Right now he is being very creative (dishonest) due to his up coming election in 2012. We have a very good chance at removing him this time around. I think it's important that we do.

CalicoJack10

Let em tell you a little story,

I have a problem with the SPN code on my discharge from the military. Basically it says that even though I was honorably discharged I cannot use my G.I. Bill that I paid for while I was on active duty. Not too big of a problem, just really aggravating. I called Kohl's office and asked for his help in fixing it, mainly because you need the sway of a politician to fix anything with a discharge. He flat out refused to help me, told me to talk to someone else. (Kohl is a vet)

Just the other day I was at a training seminar for mental health care providers on veterans and PTSD. While I was there one of Kohl's aids got up and spoke about how he would go to any length to help any vet. She said that those who fought for our freedoms deserved the best of everything according to Kohl. When I presented her with the facts of what I had been through with Kohl, she responded by saying that she was just reading what his assistant wrote and it was not up to her to change it.

Now if there is anything you can get from this it is that this man has no care at all for what the citizens of Wisconsin want or need. As long as he keeps getting elected, he can do whatever he wants. And if he is willing to turn his back on what he claims to be the most important people, what would make you think that he would care what we think about owning firearms??

Just a thought :dude:

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Term limits! We need to force term limits!

Lets start a campaign to force term limits on all politicians. This way it may keep their pandering to certain groups just to stay in office to a lesser amount.

Kohl has got to go, he and feingold can go play in someone else's sandbox for a little while.