• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone from Pt. Roberts here ?

northstar65

Has anyone who lives in Pt. Roberts been hassled by Canada when transporting guns from the rest of Wa. state ?

amlevin

I'd be interested in hearing this too. They're probably hassled just like those going to and from Alaska via the Alaska Highway.

BTW, didn't the US build the highway at their expense? Using US military and civilian contractors? Maybe we ought to start charging the Canadians for use of it. A toll that could be waived if they stop hassling US citizens who transport their own firearms from the US to Alaska and back.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

I'd be interested in hearing this too. They're probably hassled just like those going to and from Alaska via the Alaska Highway.

BTW, didn't the US build the highway at their expense? Using US military and civilian contractors? Maybe we ought to start charging the Canadians for use of it. A toll that could be waived if they stop hassling US citizens who transport their own firearms from the US to Alaska and back.

We might have built it, but I think the canucks have been paying maintenance/improvements for the last 60 or so years (someone jump in if I'm wrong).

Back OT, I'm interested to hear this too. I thought bringing a gun into canada, especially a pistol, would very quickly get you thrown in a very polite canadian jail.

acmariner99

It's Canada

Unfortunately, it is Canadian territory regardless of the circumstances therefore we are subject to their laws regardless of the distance traveled or the destination. To my knowledge, firearms that are defined as "restricted" in Canada (handguns mostly) cannot be temporarily imported for the purpose of transiting Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

If one wanted to travel to Alaska or Pt. Roberts with firearms I would suggest travelling by a means that remains under the jurisdiction of the US, mail your firearms to yourself at your destination, or just don't enter Canada with them. I personally take this philosophy when travelling to or living in any jurisdiction with restrictive laws. As a law abiding citizen I will leave the firearm behind, find an alternate route, or not go at all. As much as I would like our neighbors to the north to make allowances for law abiding American citizens to transit Canada with lawfully possessed firearms, Canada is a sovereign nation with the right to make their own rules.

amlevin

This all changed in 1982 with both the Constitution Act and the Canada Act.

Canada has complete sovereignty as an independent country and the Queen's role as monarch of Canada is separate from her role as the British monarch or the monarch of any of the other Commonwealth realms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Act_1982

The Queen may well be the monarch of Canada but her powers are the same as in Great Britain, none.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Nevertheless, canadians still bend a knee to a foreign queen & commonwealth. I will continue to hold their liberty suspect until they actually shed blood for it, and say Canada is britain's bitch :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sudden valley gunner

I studied up on this not too long ago, from what I remember is they are allowed to rule themselves sovereignly. But Britain can still step in.

The Queen is head of their armed forces and Canadian officials take an oath of allegiance to the queen.

If I remember right there was a movement in B.C. several years ago to remove the queen from the money and that was quashed very quickly by, Britain or the Queen.

But that's been sometime and I could be completely wrong.

More research:
Here is an interesting article on this and I think explains the history better than most others.

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/324/Independence.html

It looks like for all practical matters Canada has been "Independent" for decades. Yet technically and probably never to happen Britain can still repeal the 1982 act if they so desire.

Last edited:

amlevin

I studied up on this not too long ago, from what I remember is they are allowed to rule themselves sovereignly. But Britain can still step in.

The Queen is head of their armed forces and Canadian officials take an oath of allegiance to the queen.

If I remember right there was a movement in B.C. several years ago to remove the queen from the money and that was quashed very quickly by, Britain or the Queen.

But that's been sometime and I could be completely wrong.

More research:
Here is an interesting article on this and I think explains the history better than most others.

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/324/Independence.html

It looks like for all practical matters Canada has been "Independent" for decades. Yet technically and probably never to happen Britain can still repeal the 1982 act if they so desire.

Other than Canada being a member of the Commonwealth of Nations (formerly referred to as the British Commonwealth) the Queen has no say in their government. Queen Elizabeth is the head of the Commonwealth but when she dies her successor doesn't automatically assume this title. As for the Queen having any say in Canada, she doesn't even have a say in "England". She's a mere figurehead. Likewise for other traditional rulers like the Emperor of Japan.

The presence of the Queen's image on Canadian Money is merely a tradition not unlike having George Washington's portrait on the Dollar Bill.

Let's not forget that Canada even adopted their own National Anthem rather than the old traditional "God Save The Queen".

Times have changed and the British Empire no longer rules. The Commonwealth of Nations is pretty much an economic association. They have as much control in Canada as Canada allows. Pretty much like the UN with fewer fools as members.

BTW, my Father was from a part of Canada that claimed more allegiance to France. Even to the point of speaking French just to p!$$ off the English.

heresolong

My family has a cabin over on the Point which I visit somewhat frequently. You can't take handguns with you and if you want to take long guns you need to get a transport permit from the Canadians. I would suggest that if you are going to live over there that you ship yourself whatever you want to have in your home and get a lockbox in Blaine for when you come back to civilization. Make sure it is available 24-7 so you don't get stuck though.

sudden valley gunner

My family has a cabin over on the Point which I visit somewhat frequently. You can't take handguns with you and if you want to take long guns you need to get a transport permit from the Canadians. I would suggest that if you are going to live over there that you ship yourself whatever you want to have in your home and get a lockbox in Blaine for when you come back to civilization. Make sure it is available 24-7 so you don't get stuck though.

Could you by boat or do you pass through Canadian Waters?

I'm back, looks like you can reach Point Roberts by boat without crossing into Canada.

http://blog.proud-geek.com/2007/07/06/strange-maps-border-between-canada-and-usa/

You being the sailor though Calvin would have more insight into this than me.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Although Amlevin is right. Technically the Brits can still Revoke Canadian Sovereignty with a vote in Parliament. Now whether Canadians would than really rebel would be another topic.

My point proven then :D

Doesn't matter whether England ever would, or what Canadians might actually do about it, the simple fact that, according to the two State's own laws & treaties, England can revoke their sovereignty means that Canada is not, in fact, actually sovereign.

America, on the other hand, has emphatically demonstrated her sovereignty. Any attempt by Britain, or any other nation, to "revoke" America's sovereignty would be met first by laughter, and then by the retort "You and what army?"

Unless, of course, our sovereignty is willingly given away to the UN by globalist liberals :banghead:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
My point proven then :D

Doesn't matter whether England ever would, or what Canadians might actually do about it, the simple fact that, according to the two State's own laws & treaties, England can revoke their sovereignty means that Canada is not, in fact, actually sovereign.

America, on the other hand, has emphatically demonstrated her sovereignty. Any attempt by Britain, or any other nation, to "revoke" America's sovereignty would be met first by laughter, and then by the retort "You and what army?"

Unless, of course, our sovereignty is willingly given away to the UN by globalist liberals :banghead:

In a practical sense....would England/The Crown ever send the Red Coats or Hessian soldiers to Canada to enforce English rule? If not then by all practical sense Canada is sovereign. (A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost) I don't see England exercising their "right" to rule Canada.

Metalhead47

In a practical sense....would England/The Crown ever send the Red Coats or Hessian soldiers to Canada to enforce English rule? If not then by all practical sense Canada is sovereign. (A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost) I don't see England exercising their "right" to rule Canada.

Re-read what I said. Doesn't matter if they would, as long as they can.

acmariner99

You can get to Pt. Roberts by boat from mainland WA without entering Canada. (It would have to be your own, the only ferry in the area is just north of Pt. Roberts - in Canada) That would make taking a firearm and OCing it at Pt. Roberts perfectly legal. I can't imagine what the reception of it would be.

Last edited:

amlevin

Could you by boat or do you pass through Canadian Waters?

I'm back, looks like you can reach Point Roberts by boat without crossing into Canada.

http://blog.proud-geek.com/2007/07/06/strange-maps-border-between-canada-and-usa/

You being the sailor though Calvin would have more insight into this than me.

It's easy to get to Point Roberts by boat as the Border follows a straight line (the 49th Parallel). No reason to go across the "line" which is very visible due to markers on shore.

If you do go into Canadian Waters and don't go ashore, you only motor continuously through, you don't have to clear Canadian Customs. I wouldn't go too close to shore however.