• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone from Pt. Roberts here ?

hermannr

Come on guys, as an expat Canadian...Canada is it's own sovergn nation. Canadian Fairarms laws have been protecting the murderers, muggers and rapists from innocent civilians since 1934, just like here in the US. Only problem is, up there they are getting more protective of the felons, not less.

Anyway, can you transports a weapon (pistol or long rifle) through Canada to Point Roberts. Yes, it is possible. You can do the paper work, wait normally about 6 months and obtain a "conveyance" That will allow you to transport specific serial numbered weapons, in a locked box, with your clips and ammo in another locked box, from Point of Entry, via a specified route, to Point Roberts. Weapons and serial numbers checked on entry to, and on exit from Canada. This is realtively easy to do if you have a Canadian PAL already in hand but takes time, a lot of time.

The stupid long gun registration legislation only made it worse. Just hope the conservitives can form a majority government this time. maybe things will get better.

Last edited:

amlevin

Come on guys, as an expat Canadian...Canada is it's own sovergn nation. Canadian Fairarms laws have been protecting the murderers, muggers and rapists from innocent civilians since 1934, just like here in the US. Only problem is, up there they are getting more protective of the felons, not less.

Anyway, can you transports a weapon (pistol or long rifle) through Canada to Point Roberts. Yes, it is possible. You can do the paper work, wait normally about 6 months and obtain a "conveyance" That will allow you to transport specific serial numbered weapons, in a locked box, with your clips and ammo in another locked box, from Point of Entry, via a specified route, to Point Roberts. Weapons and serial numbers checked on entry to, and on exit from Canada. This is realtively easy to do if you have a Canadian PAL already in hand but takes time, a lot of time.

The stupid long gun registration legislation only made it worse. Just hope the conservitives can form a majority government this time. maybe things will get better.

Ever notice how many "ex-pat" Canadians there are here in the US? Seems like the only time there were a lot of people "flocking" to Canada from the US was to evade the draft in the 60's.

Seems like no matter how bad some may think it is here, there are still crowds of people trying to get in. Even from Canada.

Metalhead47

Ever notice how many "ex-pat" Canadians there are here in the US? Seems like the only time there were a lot of people "flocking" to Canada from the US was to evade the draft in the 60's.

Seems like no matter how bad some may think it is here, there are still crowds of people trying to get in. Even from Canada.

Yeah, they come here and try to turn US into Canada, judging by all the Priuses & Subarus I see with maple leaf flag stickers amongst the Obama & other liberal drivel stickers. Present company excepted hermannr.

hermannr

F250 4X4, Bronco II 4X4, and an Audi A6 Quattro...no Subaru, though there are a lot of them up on this mountain....need the 4 wheel drive in the winter. All the Canadian Expats that have become US citizens that I personally know carry. Just because they cannot in Canada.

Ya, I tried to make up for some of the guys went north, I volunteered. Was in 'Nam '68 and 69, three combat stripes, 2 Arcoms. Siagon and Nothern I Corps (Phu Bai and Hue) as a computer engineer, however, that did not keep me from getting shot at or having shrapnel in my computer system.

I became a naturalized US citizen in 1970 (after I returned from Vietman) First OC in WA in 1970, Skagit Co. BECAUSE I COULD!!!!

Politically, I am libertarian, regliously, I am confessional Lutheran.

Metalhead47

F250 4X4, Bronco II 4X4, and an Audi A6 Quattro...no Subaru, though there are a lot of them up on this mountain....need the 4 wheel drive in the winter. All the Canadian Expats that have become US citizens that I personally know carry. Just because they cannot in Canada.

Ya, I tried to make up for some of the guys went north, I volunteered. Was in 'Nam '68 and 69, three combat stripes, 2 Arcoms. Siagon and Nothern I Corps (Phu Bai and Hue) as a computer engineer, however, that did not keep me from getting shot at or having shrapnel in my computer system.

I became a naturalized US citizen in 1970 (after I returned from Vietman) First OC in WA in 1970, Skagit Co. BECAUSE I COULD!!!!

... and here I was starting to think all libertarians were atheists! ;)

hermannr

Metalhead, confessional Lutheranism is very compatable with libertarianism. Consider, Ron Paul's brother is Lutheran pastor...

hermannr

I'm sorry, maybe I haven't seen that thread? I've been on other forums for awhile, but I am realtively new to this one, and am not on all the time...point me you it, OK? we'll see what's up.

sudden valley gunner

Yea another person who says they OC because they can!!!!!

... and here I was starting to think all libertarians were atheists! ;)

I relate closely to libertarian party over the other parties, they just make more political sense to me. I don't view myself as atheist there is to too much in question to rule out the possibility of a "God", who knows maybe God and angels are just another form of life living on another dimension than us...we simply do not know.

sudden valley gunner

You can get to Pt. Roberts by boat from mainland WA without entering Canada. (It would have to be your own, the only ferry in the area is just north of Pt. Roberts - in Canada) That would make taking a firearm and OCing it at Pt. Roberts perfectly legal. I can't imagine what the reception of it would be.

Thanks, I thought so I have traveled to Point Roberts years ago when I had my boat, and on friends boats it is one of the few places in the north sound where you can surf if the conditions are right.

We also traveled to Victoria (without arms), before Bin Laden blew up some buildings it was pretty easy and relaxed going back and forth to Canada.

heresolong

Doing now what I should have done on my first response. Cite, cite, cite.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

You can bring in non-restricted firearms with a Non-Resident Firearm's Declaration. This has to be approved by the custom's officer at your point of entry. Non-restricted includes most long guns and shotguns (except semi-auto military style)

You can bring in restricted firearms so long as you have a valid reason. Same process as above. R firearms include long barreled handguns and long guns that don't fall under the NR category.

You can't bring prohibited firearms in at all, for any reason. Short barreled handguns and any long gun on the prohib list (ie all FAL variants). The cutoff for handgun barrel length is 4 inches. (ie my Walther PPK BUG is prohib)

A couple things to keep in mind.

1) There are also restrictions on magazine capacity, depending on the particular type of firearm.

2) They will only process firearm transport applications at certain times.

3) They may deny you entry. You won't know til you get there and try. Have a backup plan.

I looked into getting a transport certificate to take a firearm to a rifle clinic in BC. It is a major hassle. I have also looked into getting a Canadian PAL so that I don't need the transport certificate and that, for me, looks like being a better option, although you have to go through the Canadian safety course (where you have to parrot the Party Line about firearms being a blight on society to pass the test).

Personally, if I had a place of my own in PR (as opposed to a family cabin) I'd get something to keep there, ship it to myself, and just leave it. Not worth the hassle.

acmariner99

Has anyone heard of getting an ATT (Authorization to Transport Restricted or Prohibited Firarms) for transiting Canada? E.g. Blaine to Pt. Roberts or Blaine to Alaska? The option is available on the application so I'd imagine Canadian citizens could but I don't know about US citizens. If I were to drive the Alaska Highway - which I would like to do at some point, I'd like to have the option to carry once I am back in the land of the free and not ship it to myself - which can be a hassle and expensive.

amlevin

One could always get on the phone and contact one of these businesses http://www.tokalaskainfo.com/business-directory.html

This is the Business Directory of the town of Tok, AK. The first town when you re-enter US Territory.

I used to send materials ahead to hotels and motels, after contacting them, and they held them for me to pick up on arrival. Tok is a small, friendly town, and at the time I was there most of "main street" was owned by one family.

Just follow the ATF rules by addressing the "package" to yourself and instruct those who receive it to not open it.

Just one possibility if traveling to Alaska via highway.