• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm in a debate with a cop

tcmech

Please don't confuse lack of knowledge with lack of mental capacity.

Anyway, the post I quoted seemed to be generalizing to all officers. I am still awaiting a response from the person who made the "idiot" remark.

I did not say all cops are idiots, I said do not argue with an idiot. If you are feeling offended maybe you would like to elaborate.

Dreamer

Years ago we had a 20 y/o in the academy. The PD made a deal for us to obtain our sidearms at wholesale prices. He had to get his mother to make the actual purchase and gift him the pistol. He was still legal. Just couldn't buy from a FFL holder. At that time it was the same with ammunition for his pistol. He could not buy it himself.

So your police Agency actually TOLD him to engage in a "straw purchase?" Gee, that makes me feel good about their respect for the Rule of Law. What municipality was this, exactly?

eye95

IANAL, and I have not read most of this thread after the title, but do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

The implication being that cops are idiots? If so, that is an arrogant and ignorant generalization. If not, please elaborate.

I still advise never relying on what a cop says the law is. But that advice has nothing to do with anyone's idiocy.

Please don't confuse lack of knowledge with lack of mental capacity.

Anyway, the post I quoted seemed to be generalizing to all officers. I am still awaiting a response from the person who made the "idiot" remark.

I did not say all cops are idiots, I said do not argue with an idiot. If you are feeling offended maybe you would like to elaborate.

You have not said anything that lessens the implication in your post that all cops are idiots. Read the thread title, then read your post. It sure seems that you are implying that all cops are idiots.

IMO, you should acknowledge that the implication is there and either repudiate it or defend it. As it stands, you are obfuscating. Moving on until and unless you decide to be straightforward.

Gunslinger

I agree with Eye95. Never equate lack of knowledge with lack of intelligence.

The Vast majority of LEO's are anything but stupid. You try to follow the syllabus of any police academy. Generally 20- 39 weeks of 40 hours in the classroom plus the after hours homework. A test every week plus one every 4 weeks on EVERYTHING covered to date. It gets harder as you go. The average day is 18+ hours for at least 6 days a week.

More and more are requiring either an AS or a BS degree for consideration to be accepted to the academy with a bust out rate of about 25-40% of those who start.

The average intelligence of the recruits is probably in the 115-130 IQ range, where average in the general population is considered to be 100 IQ.

Nearly all if not all would qualify for OCS or any other officer program if the were in the military and applied for it. Most would be encouraged by their officers and NCO'S to apply.

I speak from experience.

BTDTGTT:cool:

Citation? Without a BS/BA they would not qualify for OTS/OCS. I would put their average (mean) IQ closer to 100-115...much closer. Still, they are no smarter nor 'dumber' than any other non-degree required labor group. The problem is their personality, not their intellect, in my not so humble opinion. There are certainly good ones--the COS and El Paso county cops, by and large, are excellent. The best police forces I've ever seen. That comes from good leadership. Denver: too many thugs. That comes from bad leadership. Intelligence plays little part. Character is the main element.

sudden valley gunner

There was that guy in Washington several years ago who was refused to be allowed to be an LEO because his IQ was to high.

Wow! Just did a google search to try to find it and seems like it isn't uncommon for that to happen.

Last edited:

MR Redenck

NM need a grassroots organization.
What have we learned? States rights are limited because of the State Rifle associations who are the affilate of the NRA.
Like Texas, your state wont get better as long as your depending on Rifle Associations.
Look at whats going on in Oklahoma right now!

eye95

Cops may not be idiots....but some sure do idiotic things.

Cops may not be stupid....but some sure act stupidly.

Cops may not be thugs....but some sure do thuggish things.

Cops may not be ignorant....but some act in a ignorant fashion.

If you join this department, or just about any department for that matter, be prepared to tow the department line.

The key word in that post is "some." The same can be said for any profession. Heck it can be said for any group of people. It can even be said of the group of people who post here!

Therefore, I recommend decrying individual acts stupidity, thuggishness, and ignorance as opposed making broad statements about officers in general, as "some" here do.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If you join this department, or just about any department for that matter, be prepared to tow the department line.

Freudian slip there?

To tow a line is to pull a rope.

I know it was a typo - shoulda been "toe" the line, as in step up to the mark, but I had a funny image of new LEOs dragging a 4" hawser behind them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I meant tow, as in pull something very heavy, something ponderous and unwieldy. If a new LEO is "toeing" the line, he may be stepping up to do more (and not in a good way) than just follow and enforce the law.

OK - I jumped to an erroneous conclusion - should be more careful, shouldn't I.

What other profession(s) have a badge and a firearm as part of their job equipment? The power of the state to deprive people of life and liberty in the name of the law, rightly or wrongly? What other profession(s) have more protections from remedies provided for in the law as a result of their their misdeeds.

No, if you call one LEO an idiot because of what he did and he is in violation of the law, AND he keeps his job, then "some" of LE is to blame for that individual LEO giving ALL of LE a bad rap.

Some folks are just a little too focused on the one when it means the other one(s) may go unseen.

It is the routine and regular point of the bad LEO that should not be applied so liberally to all. I find equal or greater blame in the willingness of the courts to give unfounded benefit to one side of an issue. More so, I fault the state governments for not understanding the problem and making the solution easier to obtain.

There is enough blame to go around without painting it all blue. We should understand that better than most groups - are we not so painted as villains when a crime is committed with a gun by the latest nut to fall from the tree?

eye95

What other profession(s) have a badge and a firearm as part of their job equipment? The power of the state to deprive people of life and liberty in the name of the law, rightly or wrongly? What other profession(s) have more protections from remedies provided for in the law as a result of their their misdeeds.

No, if you call one LEO an idiot because of what he did and he is in violation of the law, AND he keeps his job, then "some" of LE is to blame for that individual LEO giving ALL of LE a bad rap.

Some folks are just a little too focused on the one when it means the other one(s) may go unseen.

Nope, it is the folks who do not bother discerning (and those who cannot discern) who give all LE a bad rap.

Last edited:

papa bear

"One bad apple spoils the bushel" ... old American folkwisdom

i guess those early Americans were smarter than we give them credit for. ( founders )