• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

see this....

Recoil88

I see one thing the shooter did wrong according to the man who taught my cpl class. Which is if you feel threatened to where you have to defend your life with deadly force you shoot to kill not wound. Because according to him the way the law would look at it is, your life was not in immediate danger of being taken or severley harmed if you felt you just had to wound the assailant.I would like to know your guys' opinions on this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I see one thing the shooter did wrong according to the man who taught my cpl class. Which is if you feel threatened to where you have to defend your life with deadly force you shoot to kill not wound. Because according to him the way the law would look at it is, your life was not in immediate danger of being taken or severley harmed if you felt you just had to wound the assailant.I would like to know your guys' opinions on this.

This has been much discussed and dissected here many times.

The preferred/recommended terminology is to shoot to stop the threat. This is taught in most academies now too. Shooting to stop may involve many things, but these words will help you in court or the avoidance of indictment more than than other choices.

The purpose is to define a defensive need w/o casting the individual as having a predisposition or desire to kill anyone. Shooting to wound has a long litany of problems associated with it, which I will not go into here.

Tucker6900

I believe the shooter was in the right. However, the shooter and the media dont understand that a CCW(CPL) is not required when on your own property. This story leans too far toward blaming the CPL than it does for lack of justification.

MKEgal

OMG! What he was convicted of he didn't do:
750.227b Carrying or possessing firearm when committing or attempting to commit felony
That judge & prosecutor need to be disbarred - convicting someone of a felony for self-defense!?!??!
And on the steps of his own home, even?!?!?!?

Along with everything else, the attacker tampered with the scene of the crime (had his daughter pick up the knife). I wonder what would have happened if one of the Gorees had put a foot on it until the police got there?

And they sent him 600 miles away, to the western end of the UP, while his home & wife are in Detroit.

To contact the victim, Mr. Goree, here's how to write him:
Goree 788531
Ojibway Correctional Facility
N 5705 Ojibway Rd.
Marenisco, MI
49947-9771

The prison website:
http://www.michigan.gov/corrections/0,1607,7-119-1381_1385-5327--,00.html
It's just east of Duluth.

And I've set up a FB group, hoping to act similar to the "Free Brian Aitken" and "We Support Gerald Ung" pages:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_121681924574068
I also found & posted the address to write the judge.

Last edited:

22-250

Where did the author find this.. proximity? certain firearms?

Concealed carry, or CCW (carrying a concealed weapon), refers to the practice of carrying a handgun or other weapon in public in a concealed manner, either on one's person or in proximity.

While there is no federal law specifically addressing the issuance of concealed carry permits, 48 states have passed laws allowing citizens to carry certain concealed firearms in public, either without a permit or after obtaining a permit from state or local law enforcement.[1] The states give different terms for licenses or permits to carry a concealed firearm, such as a Concealed Handgun License/Permit (CHL/CHP), Concealed (Defensive/Deadly) Weapon Permit/License (CDWL/CWP/CWL), Concealed Carry Permit/License (CCP/CCL), License To Carry (Firearms) (LTC/LTCF), Carry of Concealed Deadly Weapon license (CCDW), Concealed Pistol License (CPL), etc. Thirteen states use a single permit to regulate the practices of both concealed and open carry of a handgun.

xmanhockey7

Well you have to be alive to be convicted and go to jail, I hope this doesn't discourage people from getting CPLs.

Last edited:

Ruger95

I tried to access the Freep story and its no longer available. WTF? When did it appear in the paper? Don't they want anyone to read it?

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
Yes the story appeared March 31st and was linked here Friday. Now the Freep has taken it down, probably to limit our free access to the story.

This story hits close to home as it highlights what could one day go wrong between my neighbor and I having had loud confrontations in the past beginning last spring. I avoid all contact with them knowing what may occur if it ever gets heated again. Avoidance is the policy I prescribe to and many say the best policy.

FS23

Just read the article. Someone posted a link on the FB group page. What a travesty of justice. The author stated that " Whoever pulls a gun on someone should expect to get shot at, too."
Apparently ones life can only be in danger if the bad guy has a gun. This man is being punished for " defending himself and his loved ones".

Golden Eagle

If anybody can link to this story somewhere I would like to read it. When did this occur ?

http://www.freep.com/article/20110331/OPINION01/103310407/1068/opinion

On a Sunday evening, August 2010, at about 7 p.m., Nathaniel Goree's life changed forever.

After Goree told Buckner to get off his porch, Buckner reached in his back pocket, according to Goree, and said: "I got something for you, too, (m----- f-----)." As Buckner's hand came up from his back pocket, Goree pulled his gun and shot Buckner once in the arm, sending Buckner to Detroit Receiving Hospital for three days.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Can someone explain to me, how you can be charged with felony firearm if you have a CPL, your pistol is registered as required by Michigan law, and you've not committed any other crime?

Tucker6900

Well you have to be alive to be convicted and go to jail, I hope this doesn't discourage people from getting CPLs.

That was kind of my point from my ealier post. People need to know that to carry a firearm on your property DOES NOT REQUIRE A CPL! And even if you dont have a CPL, it does not take away your rights to defend yourself with deadly force in your own home, or while OC'ing.