• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email to my Alabama State Representatives

waapl01

Email to al state reps

It is a little wordy, I agree there. I expect opposition no matter what but it is, in my opinion, a step in the right direction. Although it could be viewed as creating a special class of citizen, I believe it could be a stepping stone for the general population. Several states are looking at giving elected officials special "rights" to carry. Every special class is more ammunition for the gun lobby to get those same rights for the general public. I may be off base but in my opinion crawling to the finish line(read as nation wide Constitutional Carry) is better than not getting there at all.

The military are in my opinion are a special class of citizen, they're the ones out front protecting our country and our rights. I believe they warrant special priviledges. They can carry weapons to protect our country, however can't carry (personal) weapons on their home soil in some states, to include especially on military installations.

Daylen

The military are in my opinion are a special class of citizen, they're the ones out front protecting our country and our rights. I believe they warrant special priviledges. They can carry weapons to protect our country, however can't carry (personal) weapons on their home soil in some states, to include especially on military installations.

A special class of citizens could be considered royalty or nobility (hereditary or not) which is specifically illegal under the US Constitution and many state constitutions.

Kingfish

The military are in my opinion are a special class of citizen...
Just like law enforcement, fire, elected officials, appointed judges, county clerks, DAs and other government agents?

All are "special" and their lives are more valuable than the common citizen?

FTG-05

If you are a resident of Alabama, No, a Utah non-resident permit will not allow you to carry concealed in Alabama. You must get an Alabama permit from the county in which you reside.

So, this is wrong, this is for the non-resident permit from UT:

Permit Honored:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

Permit Not Honored:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

As-is this? http://www.ago.alabama.gov/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64"

Very confused now.

Last edited:

eye95

So, this is wrong, this is for the non-resident permit from UT:

Permit Honored:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

Permit Not Honored:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

As-is this? http://www.ago.alabama.gov/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64"

Very confused now.

A Utah non-resident permit will be honored in Alabama if you are not an Alabama resident. I am sure that the law is written this way to stop Alabama residents from circumventing their sheriff by getting a Utah non-resident permit.

FTG-05

Yea, this is what I found yesterday after your post (emphasis added).

I'm dang glad I found this out now and not a year from now, thinking I was golden, walking down the street carrying and then finding out, along with whatever officer pulled me over, that my UT permit was as useless as **** on a boar hog.

§ 13A-11-85. Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.
(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give
effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be
authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder
from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state.
A
licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of
this state.
(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the
requirements of subsection (a).
(Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1.)

eye95

Yea, this is what I found yesterday after your post (emphasis added).

I'm dang glad I found this out now and not a year from now, thinking I was golden, walking down the street carrying and then finding out, along with whatever officer pulled me over, that my UT permit was as useless as **** on a boar hog.

§ 13A-11-85. Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.
(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give
effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be
authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder
from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state.
A
licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of
this state.
(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the
requirements of subsection (a).
(Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1.)

Yeah. Not to put too fine a point on it, but you'd have found the above section sooner in an earlier reply of mine way up there ^^^^^. ;)

Brimstone Baritone

I think we've all put our hopes in the Utah non-resident permit at one point or another. It's always sad to see someone from AL who thinks "If my sheriff pulls my permit for OC I'll just get a Utah non-resident permit." Only to have to dash their hopes. :'(

I responded to OP in a thread he created on ALOC, so I'm not going to re-hash it here. I will say, again, thanks for your service and be careful out there.