• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting

patriotjed

Wanted to post regarding an issue that a friend of mine (Ted) has experienced with his Beretta PX4 Storm sub-compact 9mm.

Last week we went to the range to get some practice in. Ted brought his PX4sc to shoot for the 2nd time since purchasing 3 weeks ago. The first time out with the PX4sc, he put 100 rounds WWB through it with no issues. About 30 rounds in on this day, the fun started.

Ted loaded a fresh magazine and popped off 3 shots. When the slide came back forward to load bullet #4, the entire slide came completely OFF the frame. The slide fell to the floor and bounced around. Understand that there was a bullet in the chamber when this happened. We determined that the takedown pin had come completely out of the frame after shot #3.

After reassembling the pistol and clearing the bullet from the chamber, Ted put the pistol up for the day. Ted took the pistol apart that night to clean and inspect it, upon which he discovered that the takedown pin would come out without being rotated the required 90 degrees. He called Beretta the next day and they sent UPS to pick up the gun and ship to the authorized repair shop.

Ted called the repair shop today and they told him that his was one of 22 PX4sc's currently in the shop for the same issue. They have contacted Italy and have new slide parts coming in to address this issue. This is apparently not an isolated incident.

Long story short, this is not a bash on Beretta. I wanted to get this info out in case there are other PX4sc owners here who may have the same issues. I will post an update once the gun is returned to Ted and he test fires it.

patriotjed

Today's update: The gun has returned from the repair shop.

The repair ticket states that the takedown pin was refitted. Ted attempted to remove the takedown pin without rotating it 90 degrees and it would not budge. That's a good sign. Ted removed the pin properly for inspection. The grooves are cut wider and much deeper into the pin now.

Here are pictures of the new pin and repair slip. Tomorrow we are planning to go put some rounds down range, and I'll report again after that.

px4pin.jpg

px4slip.jpg

zack991

I am glad I no longer own my beretta M9, You would think QC would be a lot better than this, berettas are not cheap.

usamarshal

I am glad I no longer own my beretta M9, You would think QC would be a lot better than this, berettas are not cheap.

Yea, Berrettas are nothing but junk...thats why the military uses them...lowest bidder...haha...couldn't tell you how many times mine jammed while on the range. Still can't understand why the military went from the 1911 to the Berretta...probably one of the worst moves in military history to be honest.

patriotjed

Just got back from the range. Ted shot 200 rounds through the gun with no issues. All seems to be well with the gun.

Kudos to Mark's Outdoor Sports for the fix, quick turnaround, and very good communication.

Daylen

Yea, Berrettas are nothing but junk...thats why the military uses them...lowest bidder...haha...couldn't tell you how many times mine jammed while on the range. Still can't understand why the military went from the 1911 to the Berretta...probably one of the worst moves in military history to be honest.

Italy wanted a big US government arms contract and the US wanted a base in Italy.