• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'd charge Insiting panic(sp)

detroit_fan

So I was talking to a Lt. at a local police agency that I am aquanted with and asked his opinion on "the officer saftey" side of traffic stops and he said taking the gun is stupid it can only go off if handled, so he is with us on that. I also asked him what he thought about OC and he said it is irresponsible(sp) and if i saw someone walking down Main St. in Batavia I would sight them with Insiting Panic(sp) and then tell the judge we need to talk all your weapons(basically because you're stipid). He then went on to say that the law is designed so you can carry a firearm on your farm or while hiking etc... I wont give his name but since the name of the town is there , its your guess as to which of the 3 or so agencies he works at.
CARRY ON!!!

So get a group to do an OC event there and see if he really means what he says. The publicity can be very good for education.

Fallschirjmäger

The "gentleman of the law" doesn't seem to be very familiar with the laws of his State, does he?
Is it possible that such a person is unfamiliar with the very Constitution of Ohio, which reads - -

Art. VIII, § 20.
The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/constitution.cfm?Part=1&Section=04

Fallschirjmäger

I am unable to find a Code section for "Inciting Panic" (not surprising when the definitions of incitement and inducement are considered), although the Ohio Code does have a section entitled "Inducing Panic"

2917.31 Inducing panic

(A) No person shall cause the evacuation of any public place, or otherwise cause serious public inconvenience or alarm, by doing any of the following:

(1) Initiating or circulating a report or warning of an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, or other catastrophe, knowing that such report or warning is false;

(2) Threatening to commit any offense of violence;

(3) Committing any offense, with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission will cause serious public inconvenience or alarm.

(The remainder is snipped as it sets forth penalties and other conditions.)

As an aside.... were the Lieutenant's lips moving when he told you that little (deleted) story?

Deanimator

He's either lying or he wants to lose his behind in civil court. Lawful open carry doesn't come within 1,000,000 miles of "inducing panic" and the State AG's Office has said so.

You might want to remind him that in Ohio, LEOs are NOT indemnified for punitive damages... or not. ;)

JoeSparky

Centurion
I don't see how the LAWFUL act of open carrying a properly holstered firearm and making NO overt threat toward self or others can be used to support any charge related to Disorderly conduct, inducement panic, or disturbing the peace!

The COP may charge and arrest BUT THE ACTIONS WON'T SUPPORT THE CHARGE and you should be found NOT guilty THEN if you choose to do so, after the Civil action may be a firearm to two more well off!!!!!

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
He's either lying or he wants to lose his behind in civil court. Lawful open carry doesn't come within 1,000,000 miles of "inducing panic" and the State AG's Office has said so...
Where and when? The AG office (via the CC booklet) has said that OC is legal, but as far as I know neither the current nor previous AG's have made statements regarding IP or DC.

Last edited:

Jason r

I also heard from a member of the class that this is what the Lt. said, and since I open carry, I was the first person called after leaving the class. I would be able to attend an OC event in Batavia any time.

-Believe nothing you hear, half of what you see, and everything written in RED.-

Skunk

So I was talking to a Lt. at a local police agency that I am aquanted with and asked his opinion on "the officer saftey" side of traffic stops and he said taking the gun is stupid it can only go off if handled, so he is with us on that. I also asked him what he thought about OC and he said it is irresponsible(sp) and if i saw someone walking down Main St. in Batavia I would sight them with Insiting Panic(sp) and then tell the judge we need to talk all your weapons(basically because you're stipid). He then went on to say that the law is designed so you can carry a firearm on your farm or while hiking etc... I wont give his name but since the name of the town is there , its your guess as to which of the 3 or so agencies he works at.
CARRY ON!!!

I sure wish scientists would figure a way to harness all of the hot air coming out of the ignorant nimrods like that Lt. and use it as a power source. OC is not applicable to a charge of inducing panic, because it is a legal activity. Second, if you quote him correctly, the "law" he cites does not exist, and isn't designed to "do" anything. OC is legal because there is no law against it. It floors me that the training, and critical thinking skills are so poor at the level of a Lt. I'd LOVE for this braying jackass to arrest me. I could use the money. Lastly, if OC is irresponsible,...why do the police do it? HMMM?

Chris

Makarov

Transplants from the North East

I'm finding an increaser in CoPs coming from the North East and settling in Ohio. I call then "Transplants"; of course I'm a transplant from the military 20 yrs ago. So the question is: If they are new officers to Ohio, then they must be educated to our ways/laws, so lets march!

The "gentleman of the law" doesn't seem to be very familiar with the laws of his State, does he?
Is it possible that such a person is unfamiliar with the very Constitution of Ohio, which reads - -

Art. VIII, § 20.
The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/constitution.cfm?Part=1&Section=04

Last edited:

Makarov

Just use the Concealed Carry handbook

The concealed carry handbook has the Attorney Generals opinions in writing about charging open carriers with inducing panic, and Terry stops.

I am unable to find a Code section for "Inciting Panic" (not surprising when the definitions of incitement and inducement are considered), although the Ohio Code does have a section entitled "Inducing Panic"

2917.31 Inducing panic

(A) No person shall cause the evacuation of any public place, or otherwise cause serious public inconvenience or alarm, by doing any of the following:

(1) Initiating or circulating a report or warning of an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, or other catastrophe, knowing that such report or warning is false;

(2) Threatening to commit any offense of violence;

(3) Committing any offense, with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission will cause serious public inconvenience or alarm.

(The remainder is snipped as it sets forth penalties and other conditions.)

As an aside.... were the Lieutenant's lips moving when he told you that little (deleted) story?

JSlack7851

Lots of people (LEO) say stuff they don't mean, or can't support, I wonder if the Lt's Chief has the same opinion?

Deanimator

Lots of people (LEO) say stuff they don't mean, or can't support, I wonder if the Lt's Chief has the same opinion?
More importantly, does the person who's going to have to write the settlement check have the same opinion? And when he has to pay his own punitive damages, will the cop have the same opinion... or will he just be so broke he won't be able to afford to pay attention? :lol:

Lthrnck

Inducing Panic

That's what the City of Englewood was going to try and charge me with in 2007, also Disorderly Conduct.

My lawyer just got done doing the depositions on the police officer and the Police Chief last week... Seems the officer would not have detained me or threatened to charge me if he had been trained on 9.68. But Chief Brownfield on the other hand still seems to think that the mear act of carrying a firearm is still grounds to charge for DO and IDP.

Well unless someone in the City of Englewood comes to their senses.... it's go on and on and on...

Gunslinger

CARRY ON!!!

A. He's a dick
B. He's a moron
C. The judge would hand him his ass
D. Inciting panic has to be proven.
E. He's a bigger dick