• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying onto Military Bases

jsimmons

If the state of Texas says I can carry while traveling, why can the federal government say I can't carry onto their base. At what point does a federal edict that contravenes State law become null and void? It seems to me that these two things conflict and if parking lot storage is passed, how is that resolved when your "employer" is the federal government?

This doesn't pass the smell test.

KansasMustang

It's real simple friend. The Military Installation is not state land, it's Federal land. When you enter on to the Federal Installation you fall under federal laws and edicts. Just that simple. I am a Federal employee. I have a Kansas Concealed carry permit. I must follow the regulations set forth by the Installation commander and secure my weapon and seperate the weapon and ammunition in separate locations. I do this every day when I go to work. Not hard to understand nor comply with, just a pain.

rotorhead

It's real simple friend. The Military Installation is not state land, it's Federal land. When you enter on to the Federal Installation you fall under federal laws and edicts. Just that simple. I am a Federal employee. I have a Kansas Concealed carry permit. I must follow the regulations set forth by the Installation commander and secure my weapon and seperate the weapon and ammunition in separate locations. I do this every day when I go to work. Not hard to understand nor comply with, just a pain.

Exactly.

Ft Bragg actually makes it possible to travel through the un-gated areas (such as the through highways) to have a gun in the car as long as you don't stop and don't go through any of the active control points. Basically you can carry it in the vehicle (not in reach and unloaded) if you are passing through from Fayetteville to Spring Lake and vice versa without declaring it.

I have an odd feeling that this will be repealed once the by-pass is complete as it will no longer be needed.

eye95

I think it is incredibly foolish to universally bar otherwise lawful carry on a military installation. Had soldiers been allowed to carry, Ft. Hood would have several fewer dead soldiers and one more thoroughly riddled and dead terrorist.

That being said, I don't for a second question the lawful authority of the military to ban carry on their installations. Bases are secure areas to which the public is not generally invited. The military has the absolute authority to set the rules for determining who will be invited and under what circumstances.

That being said, a more reasonable policy would be to allow folks who can carry off-base to carry in the open areas on base (i.e. where there is no additional gate that is always or sometimes guarded by an armed person). But this would be a policy decision, not a rights decision.

Chap

Yep,

I also wish my MS, FireArms Permit & (soon to be) Retirement Id as a W4 with 30 yrs faithful service could be sufficient. Plus my multiple Federal back ground checks during those 30 yrs, military weapons & range training. The State Polices background check stating I was safe to have a MS FireArms Permit. Oh and my two dogs unconditional love for me.

I won't be holding my breath tho.

Sounds like when I retire and travel around the US armed. I can use my two lock boxes when needed. Then declare my intentions to enter the base at the gate. After which follow each bases directions for properly securing of weapons. Leave in locked boxes or proceed to armory. (what ever makes the base Commander feel safe about my being allowed on base)

Yep I sure wish there was at the very least one standard policy for retired military veterans.

Sent from Chap's iPhone

rotorhead

I think it is incredibly foolish to universally bar otherwise lawful carry on a military installation. Had soldiers been allowed to carry, Ft. Hood would have several fewer dead soldiers and one more thoroughly riddled and dead terrorist.

That being said, I don't for a second question the lawful authority of the military to ban carry on their installations. Bases are secure areas to which the public is not generally invited. The military has the absolute authority to set the rules for determining who will be invited and under what circumstances.

That being said, a more reasonable policy would be to allow folks who can carry off-base to carry in the open areas on base (i.e. where there is no additional gate that is always or sometimes guarded by an armed person). But this would be a policy decision, not a rights decision.

I agree 100%

As well with Ft Hood, Ft Bragg has had incidents in the past 20 years which I am sure would have turned out differently had Soldiers been allowed to openly carry.

The incident at Ft Hood was the last one to bring to idea to the table, yet it has had the opposite effect, as do seemingly all incidents. It appears that the military is more wiling to tighten the noose on it's members rather than to offer more options for their protection.

I do feel that a few Post Commanders probably feel the same as us yet are unwilling to face the debate and public backlash that would surely ensue if they were to make the decision to allow for open carry on their posts. That's is speculation on my part, however, and can point to no direct link to prove it.

Last edited:

aadvark

To ALL Posts on This Thread:

I Agree with eye95!

How in The World did Our Military get 'Out-Gunned' on OUR Own Military Base?

aadvark

DWCook

Activist Member
I would have to agree that allowing to carry on a military installation would be great, except you got to understand base security and safety of the people on the base. Whole point is to keep the base under control to avoid any situations. But then again we can argue both sides. I used to be Active Duty Air Force by the way.

Custom Volusia

I know on several Navy bases (Active duty Navy here) NO form of gun possession is allowed on base...at all! Can't have it locked with ammo seperate or anything...just aren't allowed to have it! This is not a good idea because a LOT of Navy bases are now in bad neighborhoods. Not because of the base itself..but just because really old neighborhoods tend to either be bad..or to be 'revitilized' and since the majority of Navy bases are from when towns/cities were first really getting going, they are often times in the oldest neighborhood and where the average person wouldn't go walking at night. :(

Out at Bangor Sub base you used to be able to go through once with a check in at the Armory, then after that declare it and have the ammo seperate and you were good to go...not sure how that is now as I haven't been stationed there in over 3 years.

Whitney

Just for the sake of argument

How about
Title 18 § 930.
Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities.

I know the same limitations are prescribed in my locality but what about paragraph 3 with regard to "other lawful purposes"? Security forces seem to fall under paragraph 1. What is a lawful purpose? My ball point pen could be considered a dangerous weapon if employed as a defense.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall
be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
(e)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).
(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
(g) As used in this section: (1) The term ‘‘Federal facility’’ means a
building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
(2) The term ‘‘dangerous weapon’’ means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21⁄2 inches in length.

~Whitney

Aknazer

I would have to agree that allowing to carry on a military installation would be great, except you got to understand base security and safety of the people on the base. Whole point is to keep the base under control to avoid any situations. But then again we can argue both sides. I used to be Active Duty Air Force by the way.

At which point how do explain things like ft hood? Yes we need to have base security, but that is the point of the fences and gate guards/security forces. But short of checking every vehicle at the gate you simply can't ensure 100% compliance and so I see no reason not to allow military members (note that I'm not including civilians in this) to carry in order to better protect the base. And if the military is so scared of "untrained" people doing this then they could make a cbt covering it! I kid...mostly. they could have some training that any military member could sign up for, similar to motorcycle riding on base, gov license, flightline driving, etc.

And if someone was going to attack the base then the rules won't stop or even slow him (unless he gets hit with a RAM coming through the gate, which is extremely unlikely). So at least this way there would be more people armed to help with base security should something happen.

Personally I am active duty air force and think it would be fine with the proper system. It would need to be flexible enough to also allow commanders the ability to take away the ability to carry should someone be "unsuited" to do so (talking things like suicide watch, other than honorable discharge, etc), but not so much power to arbitrarily restrict it. Oh and I hate how I have to go home after work to be able to arm myself. So now I get to drive off base unarmed to retrieve my firearm ( not that i expect something to happen during the drive, but that's not the point), and heaven forbid if you live on-base and want to carry when you go off-base.

EDIT: Also I would like to point out that plenty of military members already carry either a knife or multi-tool that has a blade and this is perfectly acceptable. And it isn't too uncommon for the blade to be 3-4 inches. So it isn't like we aren't already carrying what could be classified a deadly weapon.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Bases

Here at Ft. Lewis, WA they have gun ranges for military and civillians to shoot at. Once your done shooting the guns have to be cased back up and the ammo seperated. At least they changed the rule about registering your guns on base even if you live off post. I went to the registration place and had all my guns un-registered. (They were all lost in a tragic "boating accident". They gave me a receipt stating I have no guns registered.

Aknazer

Here at Ft. Lewis, WA they have gun ranges for military and civillians to shoot at. Once your done shooting the guns have to be cased back up and the ammo seperated. At least they changed the rule about registering your guns on base even if you live off post. I went to the registration place and had all my guns un-registered. (They were all lost in a tragic "boating accident". They gave me a receipt stating I have no guns registered.

Here at Tinker AFB they supposedly don't have the manning to allow people to use the range for personal use. And at my last base (kadena AB in Japan) you couldn't bring your weapons with you at all as the armory doesn't have space and you naturally can't take them off base overseas.

Thundar

How about
Title 18 § 930.
Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities.

I know the same limitations are prescribed in my locality but what about paragraph 3 with regard to "other lawful purposes"? Security forces seem to fall under paragraph 1. What is a lawful purpose? My ball point pen could be considered a dangerous weapon if employed as a defense.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall
be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
(e)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).
(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.
(g) As used in this section: (1) The term ‘‘Federal facility’’ means a
building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
(2) The term ‘‘dangerous weapon’’ means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21⁄2 inches in length.

~Whitney

That is the codified gun control act. Remember section 101 says that carry for personal protection is a purpose that is lawful.

Sc0tt

IMO most state laws allready ban carring in a federal building or on federal property which a millitary base most defintly is. It says you can secure a weapon in your car but I dont think its legal if your car is on federal property and outside the jurisdiction of the sate laws.

Thos.Jefferson

What's the debate?

What's to debate here? This law is un-Constitutional at it's very core. The federal government has no power granted to it by the Constitution to restrict the carry of Arms PERIOD! As a matter of fact I seem to recall an Amendment to the Constitution that strictly PROHIBITS any such restriction. Hmmmm.................

rotorhead

What's to debate here? This law is un-Constitutional at it's very core. The federal government has no power granted to it by the Constitution to restrict the carry of Arms PERIOD! As a matter of fact I seem to recall an Amendment to the Constitution that strictly PROHIBITS any such restriction. Hmmmm.................

I can't begin to find a decent argument against this post. Perfect in it's simplicity and true to boot.

The problem is, uniformed guards will still chase you down if you try to enter a military facility with guns, regardless of the Constitutional protections afforded us. You wouldn't think that any federal law or code written by a lower authority than the Constitution would have more power behind it, but that's what we face these days.

One of these days someone needs to settle all this gun junk concerning laws once and for all.

glenux

Not all military bases are owned by the federal government. Some are leased.

It's real simple friend. The Military Installation is not state land, it's Federal land. When you enter on to the Federal Installation you fall under federal laws and edicts. Just that simple. I am a Federal employee.

Friend it is not that simple. Not all military bases are OWNED by the federal government. Some are leased. Sorry, but just because you are or were a Federal employee does not make you entirely knowledgeable of the subject. You can Google for each base to determine whether it is owned by the federal government or leased. I too am a retired Federal employee.

J1MB0B

This is not true. If you sell or lose or have stolen a weapon that is registered on Ft Lewis,they will make a note as such in the computer. Even when you fill out a new registration form and leave a gun off, they ask you why you left it off and make a note in the system. Just because its not on your form doent mean its not associated with your name. The only way to "un-register" a weapon from the Ft Lewis database is to clear the post.
I have been stationed on Ft Lewis off and on since 1998, and I have never seen a requirment to register your weapons on post if you dont live on post unless you plan on bringing them on. After Ft Hood there was rumors about them making this policy, but those were just rumors, it never happened.

mohawk001

So there is absolutely no restrictions on the freedom of speech. I can legally make false claims against you even if they hurt you financially or in some other way for example. That is what you are saying.

For you to say I am not allowed to carry in your house, even if you do not trust me, would be you infringing on my right to carry. No store owner has the right to how they do business is what you are saying. They can not limit you for carrying. I guess that also means they must let people in nude because that would infringe on their freedom of speech because they are expressing themselves by being nude?

There are limits to a few of the Amendments if you think about it. Actually, in ways there are limits to almost every one of them if they can hurt someone if taken too far.