Thread: What is going on with the BB Gun Discharge Bill?

What is going on with the BB Gun Discharge Bill?

Here is the latest from VCDL:

03/26/11 Senate: Governor's recommendation received by Senate

Link: http://www.vcdl.org/static/2011leg.html
    Last edited by Thundar; 04-02-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Insert working link
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

And more specifically, from the Virginia LIS site, we learn that the Governor's recommendation is to replace this:

"2. That any ordinance enacted by a locality prior to the enactment of subsection B of § 15.2-915.4 of the Code of Virginia shall be null and void."

with this:

"2. That notwithstanding any other provision of law, general or special, any local ordinance adopted prior to the effective date of this act that prohibits the use of pneumatic guns on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor of the property when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property shall be invalid."

Better or worse?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    And more specifically, from the Virginia LIS site, we learn that the Governor's recommendation is to replace this:

"2. That any ordinance enacted by a locality prior to the enactment of subsection B of § 15.2-915.4 of the Code of Virginia shall be null and void."

with this:

"2. That notwithstanding any other provision of law, general or special, any local ordinance adopted prior to the effective date of this act that prohibits the use of pneumatic guns on or within private property with permission of the owner or legal possessor of the property when conducted with reasonable care to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property shall be invalid."

Better or worse?

TFred
    Seams like more complicated wording to give someone a back door.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Boy I hate to sound like a grouch....but who cares!

This is one of those things I freely admit I violate the law in the burbs often. Duh, what is it , a $50.00 fine , if you get caught which is unlikely?

It would be nice to have McDonnell sign it but since I've said quite often since the election, MCDONNELL IS NOT A FRIEND OF GUN OWNERS.

He is a showboater.

Further, it's a little humiliating that we even dignify that bill as the ONLY victory of this General Assembly Session. Better to just try to ignore it and do better next year.

And the last rant...(for a while anyway) Why is it that Rifle carry is not considered OC for this forum, and honest criticism of certain people in law enforcement, is considered Cop Bashing...but...fretting about Ralphiy's Red Ryder BB Gun with the Compass in the stock....Bill, that McDonnell is trying to weasel out of signing, is?

I can hear Goddard laughing now. "Gee Dudes, can't get your BB Gun Bill signed.

There are bigger fish to gill net!
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-02-2011 at 04:55 PM.

I believe the changes to be an improvement, because by adding the legal possessor, would seem to also include renters, as well as property OWNERS, which would not included renters or children living on property their family owned, but not actually having deed to the property, am I missing something?
    Last edited by Pagan; 04-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Boy I hate to sound like a grouch....but who cares!

This is one of those things I freely admit I violate the law in the burbs often. Duh, what is it , a $50.00 fine , if you get caught which is unlikely?

It would be nice to have McDonnell sign it but since I've said quite often since the election, MCDONNELL IS NOT A FRIEND OF GUN OWNERS.

He is a showboater.

Further, it's a little humiliating that we even dignify that bill as the ONLY victory of this General Assembly Session. Better to just try to ignore it and do better next year.

And the last rant...(for a while anyway) Why is it that Rifle carry is not considered OC for this forum, and honest criticism of certain people in law enforcement, is considered Cop Bashing...but...fretting about Ralphiy's Red Ryder BB Gun with the Compass in the stock....Bill, that McDonnell is trying to weasel out of signing, is?

I can hear Goddard laughing now. "Gee Dudes, can't get your BB Gun Bill signed.

There are bigger fish to gill net!
    +1 Peter. I only asked because it seemed comical that this little scrap for gun owners from the General Assembley was in need of fixin' by the guvna.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776