• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do if caught in a bank robbery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OC for ME

I only drive thru....does not apply. Although, if a robbery was going on while I was at he drive thru I would get a wee bit peeved that my transaction took way too long or not completed at all.

....post #2....ditto....IF I have to go inside the bank.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I only drive thru....does not apply. Although, if a robbery was going on while I was at he drive thru I would get a wee bit peeved that my transaction took way too long or not completed at all.

Damm straight. A demand deposit is a demand deposit, and I'm betting there is nothing in the rules or regulations that lets them withhold a demanded deposit during an armed robbery.

If fractional reserve bankers can rob many customers as part of their daily operations, there should be no problem conducting a little ol' drive through transaction during a robbery.

:D

tcmech

Considering that, in the overwhelming majority of armed bank robberies, the BG does not shoot, they'd have to do something to convince me that my opening fire won't increase the probability that innocents will be injured or killed.

This ain't TV. Bank robbers hardly ever shoot. Why on Earth would anyone want to motivate them to shoot?? It's only money.

The loss of stolen money can be fixed. You can't fix dead.

or stupid

DevinWKuska

What I bolded is actually highly unlikely, not "most likely." BGs just don't preemptively shoot the OCers. How many cases can you point to where BGs come into their intended crime scene, see an OCer, and shoot him "right off"?

Hmm perphaps you have a point, but then again besides rent a cops I have never heard ofbank robbers having knowledge someone was armed either. I was merely trying to place myself into the minds of the bankrobber. Nobody likes getting shot in the back :p

eye95

Hmm perphaps you have a point, but then again besides rent a cops I have never heard ofbank robbers having knowledge someone was armed either. I was merely trying to place myself into the minds of the bankrobber. Nobody likes getting shot in the back :p

If you want to put yourself into the mind of a bank robber (or a criminal in general), think like a selfish coward, not like a seasoned commando.

REALteach4u

VW,

You're truly asking a question that cannot be answered until you're actually in the moment. One might follow Zombieland rules and not be a hero (until something puts you in a position to believe there's no other option).

The best thing is to always be calm and collected, spacial awareness is key. Just because you see those 2 doesn't mean there isn't a 3rd or 4th somewhere nearby. IF you've not been discovered as carrying, it gives you the ambush ability. Once any life loss or injury begins, more is sure to follow.

Something taught in the Violent Encounters for LE course is that the offender will make attempts to eliminate or remove anyone or anything that stands in the way of their escape. They won't target any specific individual, just those who may prevent or slow their escape.

Realize that those around you who are victims at the time will be fully willing to rat you out to the BG's for having a firearm if it gives them the piece of mind that they might then live through the scenario. Trust NO ONE when in the moment!

VW_Factor

While I understand there is not going to be a right or wrong answer (not really anyway, just how much risk are you going to take). Especially given the wide variety of scenarios that be be played out when simply set up as.. Two BGs in a bank..

Thats up for everyone to decide for themselves, what they would do, in how the envision something playing out in their own banks (or one you've made up).. You can play it out there are 3 other people (out of the 12 customers who were in the bank while it was robbed in our case) who were armed as well. Odds can be better.. But do you all have position and good firing lines where bystanders will not be harmed as well?

Yeah. Lots of things to think about or play out. I was simply curious as to what all thoughts people put into such a thing. I didn't myself ahead of now, simply because.. While we all hear about bank robberies, etc.. I've never had one happen in my own branch, let alone a "take over" style robbery. (I understand now this was take over style where the robbers entered the bank weapons already drawn and ordered everyone to the floor like you have seen perhaps in a movie).

Like I said before though. I am extremely interested in the safety and survival of myself and my loved ones. I am happy to see others feel the same way in that they'd rather let them be, and get their money and no one get hurt with minimal confrontation.

I was curious to see the thoughts of others. Given that being in this situation is a little closer to home for me, it was in my thoughts.

M

McX

what would i do if caught in a bank robbery? shoot the bastards comes to mind.

Freedom First

Been there, sort of.

I was at a bank robbed by note, not gun. Actually no one knew what had happened until it was over and the putz was gone. "Ok, he's gone. Lock the doors." I saw him come in abut I was busy fixing a phone jack behind the teller row and it just didn't click. Dork with hoodie, trouble...

Let me say, I have spent more than a few hours thinking on this incident in my life since then. I am much more aware when out and about. I look for exits and cover when entering a place for the first time, think out escape routes from job sites, etc.. It only takes a minute and if it means I can get home safely, I'm all for it.

When I am out, I am no "sheepdog". The people around me are not my sheep unless they include my family. As Eye said, you can't fix dead and I am worthless to my kin if I am dead. Would I draw on two armed robbers in a bank? Probably not. I know I would have done nothing different at the robbery I was at since it went so well (for the robber...).

I also totally agree with the foolishness of contesting the robbery of fiat currency. Let them have it. It's not worth killing over.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

I would EXPOSE my OC BADGE and show them criminals who is boss. By HECK no one is doing a felony when I am around. That there is my money in that bank and no you cannot have it. NO one will get hurt, I will shoot them in the madula and have a "NO REFLEX" drop.

The bad guys will be so stunned at the luster of my highly polished vigalate badge that they wont see my left had getting my Kimber out of my holster and finishing the job god sent me to do.

Where's the "madula"? Just don't expect a no reflex 'drop' if you were to miss and hit the 'medulla.' The medulla contains the cardiac, respiratory, vomiting and vasomotor centers and deals with autonomic, involuntary functions, such as breathing, heart rate and blood pressure. He could empty the mag easily before he dies. Cerebrum shots work much better. With the assistance of the cerebellum, the cerebrum controls all voluntary actions in the body, and it is voluntary actions you want to stop. But then, your OC Badge will probably stop him anyway...

And, yes I know you were kidding...:>

Last edited:

bushwacker

Just try to direct them to the place of the most money,and when they are busy,slip out the door and wait till they come out and hold them up for the money and guns ...just think of it ...you have a few extra guns to play with , extra cash in your pocket, and their face on the cameras inside doing the crime ...get a new program going, from crime stoppers to crime shoppers :d

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Just try to direct them to the place of the most money,and when they are busy,slip out the door and wait till they come out and hold them up for the money and guns ...just think of it ...you have a few extra guns to play with , extra cash in your pocket, and their face on the cameras inside doing the crime ...get a new program going, from crime stoppers to crime shoppers :d

But, what if their get-away driver robs you?

Or worse, the police arrive in the meantime and rob you? Or, rather, "seize" your new found property under asset forfeiture laws?

:D

hogeaterf6

The bg have guns drawn and most here are saying the bg have no intention of shooting someone? Are you kidding? Sure is a lot of what ifs. From what I read on here all the time that if you are around and a gun is pulled you will pull yours to defend yourself?
If it was pointed at me at some point I'm taking that as a threat and will do so in defence. Plus my bank girls are hot and dont want no harm to them. lol

hermannr

The big problem with "inside the bank" is all the other innocent people also inside the bank. Only if you can do something without any risk to other innocent people, or to prevent physical harm to innocent people.

Been in a bank when it was robbed, I now know why all of banks I know of say just give them the money...the real problem is possible injury to the customers... Not worth the money.

Be a good witness, and if things start to go wrong, then, and only then, get involved.

eye95

The bg have guns drawn and most here are saying the bg have no intention of shooting someone?...

No. Read carefully.

In the overwhelming majority of armed bank robberies, the BGs do not shoot anyone. The chance of an innocent being shot increase greatly if some vigilante with a gun opens fire, starting a shootout.

The point is that the mere presence of a gun, even in the hands of a BG, does not mean that a shooting will occur. On the contrary, a shooting is highly unlikely, unless some bozo with a gun decides to be a hero. Absent some other reason to believe that people are in imminent danger, it is far wiser to remain watchful and discreet than to exacerbate the situation. It is only money, insured money at that.

nonameisgood

It's only money until it's not.
Evaluate the situation, and if the opportunity and need arises, shoot them. Don't rely on the kindness of strangers/bad guys.

I try to sit in restaurants with my back to the door and strong side hidden, so I can see what happens inside and any movement around my concealed holster is hidden. Not really an option in line at a teller.

I also train to draw and fire accurately and quickly on multiple targets. While that is not ideal, it's better than laying on the floor dying as they shoot you. And you really don't know if they will or won't, and playing the odds is probably not the best action for some of us.

My dad once met a former director of central intelligence and the most notable thing about the guy was that once in a crowd, you couldn't pick him out. Stay hidden in plain sight, until you draw and remove the threat if needed. And don't try to do it without deadly force if using the force is a better, safer option.

I really couldn't care less about the well being of the bad guys, and I really don't care if they die or not, so it's just a matter of the well being of those around me (and myself, of course.)

eye95

...I really couldn't care less about the well being of the bad guys, and I really don't care if they die or not, so it's just a matter of the well being of those around me (and myself, of course.)

Those who care about those around them will not open fire unless and until the BGs do something other than rob a bank, something that indicates they will shoot. Again, most armed bank robbers do not shoot. Check that; almost none do. If you shoot, almost all, even those who had no intention of shooting anyone, will open fire.

TV and the movies create a hugely distorted impression of guns, bad guys, and bank robberies. And it ain't just the antis being sucked in by the misinformation spread by popular culture.

OC for ME

TV also makes guns sound really cool when fired (eye95 stated that I think).

As eye95 suggests correctly, observe and report, record if you can. If you are threatened directly, utilize your training and proceed as required. The law will be on your side. Any deviation from this good advice and expect big time bad juju from da man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.