• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I felt naked!!!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I use Amtrak regularly to travel to and from Michigan. And in probably 20 trips, I have never seen anyone get searched, and am yet to see a metal detector of any kind. However, their policy does state that no firearms of any kind will be allowed on the train, even in checked luggage. But with the way security is, a law abiding citizen may, or may not, have taken his or her firearm on a trip taken from one place to another........
As stated earlier they now allow transport of firearms as checked baggage. You have to follow the rules in regards to unloaded, etc...

Sheldon

Ah.. the price of freedom. I would drive for my own protection.

You do need to be worried about carrying on Amtrak because if/when the TSA nails you in one of their inspections, what would you do then? The purported savings in time, money, and peace of mind would certainly be eaten up in lawyer fees and jail time.

BTW, notice these people are being checked as they EXIT the train at their destination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcVl39Dcdno

Now where was it that I read a story of the TSA at some train station searching people boarding trains and they were physically ejected by the station master......
Can't rmemeber but it was about a week or two ago....

?????Mark me as confused, are some of you saying my MI CPL is valid in Chicago????

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Now where was it that I read a story of the TSA at some train station searching people boarding trains and they were physically ejected by the station master......
Can't rmemeber but it was about a week or two ago....

?????Mark me as confused, are some of you saying my MI CPL is valid in Chicago????

NO!!! What we are saying is that the requirement for a FOID card does not apply to someone with a permit from Michigan. A person requires a FOID card to possess a firearm in Illinois. Illinois does NOT have concealed carry per se, but they do allow the transportation/possession of firearms under certain conditions.

If you carry a firearm in MI, you MUST learn the difference between "carrying concealed" and "possession".

Last edited:

Sheldon

NO!!! What we are saying is that the requirement for a FOID card does not apply to someone with a permit from Michigan. A person requires a FOID card to possess a firearm in Illinois. Illinois does NOT have concealed carry per se, but they do allow the transportation/possession of firearms under certain conditions.

If you carry a firearm in MI, you MUST learn the difference between "carrying concealed" and "possession"

Clairfied....

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Well I didn't know about that case making my post 3 days before the decision, only what the legal trend has been up until that in Illinois for out of state carry holders. Here is the NRA's take on the decision a few days ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJC8O9k_1js&feature=feedu

Good information. I've been "carrying" in Illinois this way for years. It is lame, but it works. I even had a LEO tell me I was good to go after I was stopped for stopping too far into a crosswalk once. I didn't know about it either, but when I came across this, and that we had just had a discussion about the issue, I just had to post it. I would suggest having a copy of this in your car or truck when utilizing this method... I don't think most LEOs would know about it.
Carry on!

Last edited: