Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Pahrump DMV posted new no concealed firearm signs.

  1. #1
    28kfps
    Guest

    Pahrump DMV posted new no concealed firearm signs.

    Had a need to go to the DMV in Pahrump to register a replacement motorcycle. Noticed on the door a printed out paper sign with the NRS 202.#### posted, cannot remember the reference number. However it is the one that says conceal firearms are not allowed. Tim, you would be proud of me, went in anyways because I was open carrying. Took a number and sat down to wait my turn.

    Another customer was sitting a few seats away on my strong side slid over to me and said not sure if you saw the signs however they say no firearms allowed. I replayed with yes; I did however, the NRS that is referred to is only for concealed firearms. Realizing he had no problem with my firearm and actually being considerate, I said thank you and he moved back to his chair. When they called his number as he walked up, I noticed a freedom donít tread on me shirt and a gun magazine rolled up in his hand. Did not have a chance to tell him about the open carry site.

    My number was called ended up going to one of the windows almost at the end walking past the others. My firearm was in plain view of several of the DMV employees and not a word. I was in the DMV for almost an hour. Extremely friendly and fast service at the window. It would appear they know the NRS stated had nothing to costumers open carrying.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    From what I understand, Pahrump never cared to begin with, of course they know most people on a first name basis there. I imagine a typical day for a State DMD worker there would go something like, "Hey Bob, is it time to renew your registration on your pickup truck already? Oh by the way, that's a nice 1911, is it new.?"

    Now down here in Vegas, the guards get all bent out of shape because now they aren't the only ones with a gun, therefore they no longer feel special. This is what it really boils down to. People who are in a line of work that grants them the "privilege" to be armed are butt-hurt because they can't intimidate people with that sidearm they've never fired, never cleaned, and probably couldn't even tell it's make model and caliber.

    No joke, I was talking to one of the guards at the west Flamingo DMV, young skinny kid with a dark complexion, jet black spiked hair, what the make model and caliber of his revolver was. He honestly told me, he's never bothered to find out. He told me that he would fire it, but they don't provide cleaning supplies or ammunition, and he doesn't want to pay out of pocket for that stuff.

    There was a time when the county provided bailiffs for armed security at the DMV, at least then it was a grey haired middle aged man whom could probably hit the broad side of a barn if he needed to. Now that it's been contracted out to a bunch of kids i'm not so sure I'm better off with or without them there.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    It's okay, as long as they keep the bullet in their pocket.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    It's okay, as long as they keep the bullet in their pocket.
    LOL so true.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Has anyone ever heard of a violent crime at the DMV? Really, just asking.

  6. #6
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a violent crime at the DMV? Really, just asking.
    What is your point?

    There are a lot of Department of Motor Vehicles buildings in the United States... Considering that, probably violent crime has happened at a DMV somewhere.

    Even if no crime was there, that is no reason for people to leave their weapon unattended in a vehicle.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 04-04-2011 at 01:58 AM.

  7. #7
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    What is your point?

    There are a lot of Department of Motor Vehicles buildings in the United States... Considering that, probably violent crime has happened at a DMV somewhere.

    Even if no crime was there, that is no reason for people to leave their weapon unattended in a vehicle.
    And there is AMPLE evidence and reports of thefts FROM UNOCCUPIED vehicles---- wheather anything was visible or NOT!

  8. #8
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    For the purposes relevant to a discussion based on Open Carry, a person leaving their car with an empty holster is an advertisement to anyone willing to commit a crime of opportunity that there is probably a firearm in the car. Most holsters are not easy to remove from your belt while seated in a car. Even a SERPA on a paddle is kind of uncomfortable to remove. Lets also consider that if someone isn't after the gun, but are after the car itself, they get the gun as a bonus to the theft of the vehicle. Now, the police have to be far more concerned that a criminal now has a firearm that cannot be traced back to them should it be used in a crime. Their next auto theft could be a car jacking. For every reason we hear why we should not be allowed to have our firearm on us in a particular place, I can think of far more reasons not to leave it behind.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a violent crime at the DMV? Really, just asking.
    No, but I'd like to!
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a violent crime at the DMV? Really, just asking.
    I think you are saying there is no justification for the tax payers to employ armed guards and not as a justification to prohibit carry by law abiding citizens...Right?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La Paz county, Arizona.
    Posts
    338
    I used to be an armed guard, & have always been 100% pro second amendment.
    We shouldn't assume an individual guard is pro/anti until we ask him.

    I was an armed guard in San Francisco & it was a great deal of fun, people would ask the stupidest of questions.
    One obvious anti jerk wanted to know how do you get to be an armed guard , I told him "no training or background check is required you only have to join the NRA" - he got so angry!! It was hysterical.
    Another one asked me when I was allowed to shoot & I told her "when the voices tell me too"
    In CA you're allowed to go to and from work armed one time a Lt in the SFPD tried to tell me I couldn't-I said "OK, you get me a ccw and I'll open carrying on my way to work"

    I was able to take tax deductions for range time/ammo/holsters etc.

    We need to treat people fairly.

    That being said, the armed guard at the Reno DMV seems to think its illegal to carry there & the unarmed guards at the main Library also seem to think open/concealed carry is reason to ask you to leave- I hope we can prove them wrong sometime, any ideas?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    unarmed guards at the main Library also seem to think open/concealed carry is reason to ask you to leave- I hope we can prove them wrong sometime, any ideas?
    I would love to OC at my library.

    BUT I would want about 5-10 people to watch over me. Because it is going to raise a stink. And because I would be concerned about the guard and his revolver. At the Rainbow branch they are armed.

    The sign on the lib door only applies to CC, doesnt say that though, but we here know the law. Mr jumpy guard doesnt though.

  13. #13
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Begin by writing to whoever is in charge of the library letting them know what the law is. Someone wrote the DMV and got them to change the policy. I am currently pushing the City of Henderson with regard to their policy of no firearms in city buildings. The Henderson Library is owned by the City so if I win regarding City Hall and the City Parks, that should take care of the Henderson Library as well. Raise your voice by using your pen. Don't give up or assume someone else will do it. Things get done by those of us not smart enough to know they can't be done.

    TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 04-04-2011 at 06:24 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    All true BigGuy. And you are a great leader here as well. I did actually send a letter about 1.5 years ago. And was told NO firearms EVER. I think I posted the letter on this website. I then didnt follow up but now that other city and state places are falling in line I need to get back on this.

  15. #15
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    It is not my intention to be a leader of any kind, but to just push as one man what I strongly believe is right. If others feel the calling to join in the fight, the more the merrier. I welcome the company. I learned some time ago that sitting on the fence gets you nothing but splinters in your butt. It is unfortunate that no matter how convicted, most people fail to act. Sometimes with cause, other times they find an excuse. So be it. I am a father of 7 and I'm very worried about the condition of this country and the world. I want for my children the country I was promised when I was their age. Second ammendment issues are not the only thing I'm involved in and there are many more I would like to be but don't have the physical, financial or emotional ability. We can not fight everything at once, but need to knock them down one at a time. I appauld you for taking a stand and going after them.

    Time for me to get off the soap box.

    TBG

  16. #16
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a violent crime at the DMV? Really, just asking.
    Don’t Tread On Me, I believe I know you well enough to know when asking if anyone has committed a violent crime in the DMV you are referring to the posted guards in the Las Vegas DMVs. The only crime I remember some years back, at least an issue that made the news was an employee was selling fake IDs to illegals. Oops! forgot, there is no such thing as illegal’s should have said undocumented. Kind of like no such thing as an illegal drug pusher, they are unlicensed pharmacists.

    Armed guards in the DMV might be a deterrent for those that might confuse the DMV for a bank or the deranged line jumper who takes a hostage to move himself to the head of the line.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 04-05-2011 at 01:10 AM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Creech AFB. NV
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    I would love to OC at my library.

    BUT I would want about 5-10 people to watch over me. Because it is going to raise a stink. And because I would be concerned about the guard and his revolver. At the Rainbow branch they are armed.

    The sign on the lib door only applies to CC, doesnt say that though, but we here know the law. Mr jumpy guard doesnt though.
    You should tell that guard no firearms are allowed in the building.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMike View Post
    You should tell that guard no firearms are allowed in the building.
    He doesn't count, he's a shepherd, and we the people are the sheep to him.

  19. #19
    Regular Member 230therapy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    People's County of Fairfax
    Posts
    276
    No joke, I was talking to one of the guards at the west Flamingo DMV, young skinny kid with a dark complexion, jet black spiked hair, what the make model and caliber of his revolver was. He honestly told me, he's never bothered to find out. He told me that he would fire it, but they don't provide cleaning supplies or ammunition, and he doesn't want to pay out of pocket for that stuff.
    This is the epitome of "LCD"..."Lowest Common Denominator". He's not smart enough to properly maintain and train with a tool that will save his life. Oh well.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •