• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FEDERAL and AMERICAN EAGLE 45 AUTO Product Safety Warning

anmut

Just saw this in my Shooting Times magazine & thought I would pass it on.

http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/45_Auto_warning.pdf

Immediate Action Required
Certain lots of recently manufactured 45 Auto ammunition may contain an incorrect propellant
charge. Use of product from these lots may result in firearm damage and possible
serious injury.
DO NOT USE PRODUCT FROM THE FOLLOWING LOTS:
38X628 through 38X765
38T401 through 38T414
If you have in your possession any 45 Auto with the following brand names and part numbers,
check to see if your ammunition package contains the above lots: American Eagle® (AE45A,
AE45N1, or AE45A250), ChampionTM (WM5233), GoldMedal® (GM45B), Hi-Shok® (45C, 45D),
Federal® Personal Defense® (C45C, C45D) and Federal Premium® (P45HST1, P45HS2G,
LE45T1)

jpm84092

This recall notice was posted to this and several other sites back in early February when it first came out, but the reminder, particularly for newer members to the forum, is good.

I actually had a bulk box of the American Eagle .45 ACP and had shot it up before the recall notice came out. It did not hurt any of my firearms, but it stove-piped like heck from over-expansion of the casing. None of my Model 1911s would eat it, but my Springfield XD-45 had no problems with it.

anmut

This recall notice was posted to this and several other sites back in early February when it first came out, but the reminder, particularly for newer members to the forum, is good.

I actually had a bulk box of the American Eagle .45 ACP and had shot it up before the recall notice came out. It did not hurt any of my firearms, but it stove-piped like heck from over-expansion of the casing. None of my Model 1911s would eat it, but my Springfield XD-45 had no problems with it.

I missed those threads - but yeah a good reminder!

AaronS

Hmm, I might have to take a second look at that XD in .45 .
As I understand it (might be wrong), the issue with this ammo is that it might have a few rounds with twice the charge in them. If an XD could fire off a round with 2X the charge, that is a great selling point in my mind.
I will try to find the recall info that I think I read.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
This is one of the reasons I prefer to load all my own ammunition since I had a rifle come apart and injure me a few years back, I was firing factory ammunition made by the same company that made the rifle, it was the 10th round through a rifle from their custom shop. (lefty) I had 2 more boxes of ammo with the same lot number, When I weighed loaded rounds, I was seeing as much as a 15 grain variance in weights, I never pulled the rounds apart to see what component was off, but my guess is the charge.

Most people would be amazed at how little powder is used in mass manufactured ammunition, they design a charge that produces proper pressures that use as little powder as possible.

Why? Because they purchase powder by weight, and the less powder they use, the higher the profit ratio. This makes it possible to get as much as 5 times the normal charge into the case of most rifle rounds. Imagine having that go off in your face!!