Thread: What to do?

Question What to do?

I live in Maybrook, NY. This is in Orange County. I just recevied my Unrestricted Liscence and im planning a trip. My trip will take me through NJ, DL, ML, VA, NC and SC. Now here is my question, but first, i have gone over the "carryconcealed.net" site and ive looked at some of your threads, but im still a little fuzzy. I know the states im going through will not honor my permit, but whats up with the open carry law? Can i open carry in these states and still be legal or should i just leave my gun at home, locked up of course.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    I live in Maybrook, NY. This is in Orange County. I just recevied my Unrestricted Liscence and im planning a trip. My trip will take me through NJ, DL, ML, VA, NC and SC. Now here is my question, but first, i have gone over the "carryconcealed.net" site and ive looked at some of your threads, but im still a little fuzzy. I know the states im going through will not honor my permit, but whats up with the open carry law? Can i open carry in these states and still be legal or should i just leave my gun at home, locked up of course.
    Which State is your final destination?

If you are allowed to carry in NY and in your final State, federal law provides a method of transporting the gun through States in which you are not allowed to carry. I (or someone else) can fill you in on the details of that federal law if you can possess the gun at both ends of your trip.

I won't address OC in those States, leaving it to folks who live in them and can warn you about any pitfalls of local and State law.

Its a round trip, SC will be the last stop and then ill return home via the same route.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    First I presume by ML you mean Maryland which is abbreviated MD.

"Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

There are other conditions, so become very familiar with the federal "Safe Passage" law.
    http://www.cjrpc.org/interstate_2.htm

Additionally study and know the laws of each state you shall pass through. Personally, I would not want to stop or be stopped in NJ or MD. You could do worse than to start on the OCDO map pages and follow the links.
    http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The relevant federal law is USC 18 Ch 44 Sec 926A. Your destination of South Carolina allows anyone who may legally buy a handgun to carry that handgun in their vehicle, loaded or unloaded, in the glove box, center console, or a container with an integral locking fastener, though it need not be locked.

You may also carry it at your residence, but since you are a tourist here, your hotel room IS your residence while in the state, so all the rights and privileges of a homeowner in possessing a firearm and using it at home apply to you in your room. You may also legally carry it between your vehicle and your hotel room while in SC.

South Carolina does not recognize your NY permit. You may not carry your firearm on your person at any time or place outside of the narrow provisions in SC law described above.

Take a a look at www.handgunlaw.us for more information.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    For people that travel a lot, a VA, FL or Utah non-resident permit can be well worth the extra effort required to obtain.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thanks for all the tips, i will definetly check all those sites everyone suggested. For the meantime though, i will leave my weapon home and enjoy my trip without the sweats. thanks everyone.

Banned
    Since you will have a permit allowing you to possess your gun in NY and since law-abiding citizens are generally allowed to keep a gun in their car (per an earlier post) in SC, your destination, then federal law will allow you to travel through the intervening States whether or not their laws would allow you to possess a handgun. If the law of any State you pass through on the trip would not allow CC, OC, or some other form of lawful carry, simply unload the gun and put it in your trunk. Don't make any long stopovers or side trips while passing through States where you are relying on federal protection to transport the gun. Especially NJ!

Just passing through VA, I can't think of any places you would run into trouble OCing.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    According to Hangunlaw.us NONE of the states between SC and NY honor your CC permit. Neither does SC. Your only option would be OC in those states that allow it.

Apparently only 15 states honor NY and only one, VT, is a neighbor. Otherwise you have to travel though a minimum of 2 states to find a friendly one.

My advice is to take a slightly different route, go through PA and avoid NJ like it was infested with the plague. Just a tiny mistake in NJ can have you in the pen for years on a felony, losing all RKBA rights for firearms.
    Last edited by OldCurlyWolf; 04-05-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Been down that route several times myself years ago to Georgia.(Ft Benning) I won't tell you how to get to I81, I'm sure you already have your favorite way. I always went in and out through Port Jervis myself, then down 209 just because it is pretty country...My wife family is from outside Monticello.

anyway...get over to I81 and head south on it down the Susquehanna Valley. Beautiful drive, No big citys, (biggest place is Harrisburg) no NJ and you are through Maryland in 30 minutes. Be sure to keep to the speed limit in Maryland...that is don't attract attention to yourself. (I used to have a problem with that back when I was young...tended to drive too quickly, or the police thought so anyway...

When you hit I77 (still in VA) change freeways...takes you right into Columbia, SC nav to destination from there.